Disneyland or California Adventure

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disneyland or California Adventure

Myself and two others (in our 30s) are heading to Anaheim for one day in September. Which park has more rides for adults? Is it worth getting a park hopper ticket?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:50 PM

There are some other threads which talk about this plus the Disney boards I think, so you can sample some other opinions. For me, I'd say getting a park hopper depends on if you plan to make it an entire full day -- and if the parks are open late. I've done a day that starts early in DL, go to CAdv in the afternoon, sometimes back to DL to finish off.

DL has: Space Mountain, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, etc. California Adventure has the roller coaster, Soaring Over California (which is cool), Bug's Life ...

If you had to pick one: Disneyland.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM

California Adventure also has Tower of Terror and Grizzly River Run. You can buy beer, wine and on afternoons/eves in summer, there is a full bar at the Avalon Cove bar. The Aladdin theatre show is good for adults. I think DCA is also easier to deal with, fewer crowds and strollers.
Disneyland is the classic experience. If you are never going back, you've got to see Disneyland. Although it is more crowded and the lines are worse. There is also the Matterhorn, but it's pretty tame and not really worth the wait. For some reason, every grownup I know loves Peter Pan. An hour wait minimum.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

We are spending 3 full days in Orlando so we don't want to go overboard in California at theme parks.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Is it even possible to buy a ONE DAY park hopper for Disneyland and California Adventure?

It was my understanding they were only available for California residents??
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Audra ~ Disney finally wised up and now has a one day park hopper for all guests. I know when I first went to CA, there was no one day hopper available at all! Very irritating, but I think Disney finally listened and originally offered a one day hopper for residents only. Of course, that's not going to work, so they now have it for all guests.

Hump ~ CA simply has more rides of interest for adults, but there really isn't that much there. Frankly, you can do it in just a few hours. (I'm serious!) Since the parks sit on the same property, I've never understood the concept that they need to be treated separately, but go figure Disney.

Anyway, if you are strictly interested in the rides and want some extra time to spend outside the park, just go to California Adventures. If you get there early, you'll be done by noon. If you are looking for "where it all began" then I would look into a one day hopper and make a day of it.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM
ltt

if they have the one day hopper pass and you are going when they are open late, i'd get that. i've heard california advenure is better for adults but i also heard that you don't need a full day there.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM

But DL has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride--you can't get that in Orlando!
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Believe the bump for the combo ticket is $20/ticket. We went in February and Cal. Adventure closed earlier than Disneyland. C.A. has more adult oriented rides, though nothing is bone jarring.
My observation is that deals on tickets are restricted to California residents.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM

One park is $53, 1-day hopper is $68
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies. If we get there at opening should we go to DL first then once the crowds build up head over the DCA? How do I go about booking tickets in advance, we are in Australia?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Disneyland.disney.go.com One day park hopper is $73; 1 day 1 park is $53. Children over 10 of all ages.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:01 AM

DD just bought us one-day park hoppers for $68. That must be the SoCal discount. Wow! We got a whopping $5 savings? I can remember just 10 years when SoCal residents could get in to DL for $20.