Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tips for Disneyland/California Adventure Parks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Anaheim for a few days before we head to San Francisco for a 3-day meeting in late May. We're planning to spend at least 2 days at the Disney parks. Is this sufficient time? We've only spent 1 day at a Disney park in California before, 1 day at Disneyland in 1997. We actually thought that Disneyland was more enjoyable than Magic Kingdom at Disney World in Orlando. We're staying at the Marriott in Irvine on Saturday and Sunday nights and at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott on Monday and Tuesday nights. Any tips on how best to plan our time in Anaheim would be appreciated.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:33 PM

The Birnbaum Guide to Disneyland will give you a pretty fair idea of what you can accomplish in the time available. It's good that you are going before most of the schools get out.

I believe there is a Disneyland forum at www.disboards.com.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting information about the website. I've looked at the site, and it is very useful.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Here's what I've found worked for us. Hope it'll work for you!

We get to Disneyland right when it opens in the morning. Then we go for the most popular rides - that early in the morning, the lines are not too long and it saves a lot of withering in the hot sun.

We do the rides mostly in the mornings. Then we return to the hotel in the early afternoon and do a few hours of "siesta" time.

Then it's back to Disneyland for another 4/more hours. In the afternoons when the lines for the rides are quite long, we tend to walk around and enjoy the shops, climbing into Cinderella's castle, trying on the Mad Hatter's hats, and so on. Evenings we pick a good spot for the fireworks.

Following this kind of schedule, we've found that two days is sufficient for almost everything in Disneyland.

Have fun!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hi,

I like to spend 3 or 4 days at Disneyland and California Adventure. You'll be there early in the 50th Anniversary celebration for the new fireworks, parade, newly unveiled castle.

Your hotels are somewhat far from Disneyland and Southern California highways can be congested. You might want to consider the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland or the Anaheim Marriott to be able to spend the most possible time at DLR.

I would recommend getting a guidebook and reading about all of the various attractions and rides. Then, make a list of your must-sees and prioritize - just work through the list during your trip. Definitely use the FastPass - hit the parks early and go around to the various FastPass attractions and rides and get your must-sees first so that you can be sure to get them. I love Soarin' Over California and be sure to see Aladdin, the musical spectacular. All of the characters hang out at Mickey's Toontown.

Do catch the Electrical Parade while you're there, arrive early to the Wine Country Trattoria to eat and then, drift out to the patio for an up-close view of the Electrial Parade.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's helpful and thoughtful replies. We were very interested in Wine Country Trattoria for one meal, and we will work that into our agenda. I know that the Laguna Cliffs Marriott is far away, but since we're from Memphis we need to get in some good beach time as well! How about Blue Bayou for either lunch or dinner? I've read numerous glowing recommendations for that place. We remember seeing it during our hectic one day visit to DL in 1997, and we want to dine there on this visit. How dramatically has Tomorrowland changed since 1997? In 1997 I thought that was the most "dated" area of the park.