Disneyland, good time/bad time to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. Thinking of a trip to DL soon, but would rather NOT take my kids out of school. One is a JR in High School and the penalties are just too great. So, I know mid week while school is in is probably the best time to go. But, are the three day weekends that bad? I understand that summer is the worst, and Thanksgiving and Christmas isn't good either.

We really want to go in May or early June, before the majority of CA schools get out. We live three hours driving, so can be kind of flexible. Will be staying either one or two nights. Don't need to see CA Adventure, saw that two years ago. Just DL when it isn't a mad house. thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Summers are crazy at D-land! However, you might try for the first weekend in June - schools won't be out yet (for the most part - we do have year round schools here, and their off times are way different), the fireworks show will be going on (from CA, but you can usually view them from D-land as well), and the weather probably won't be very warm yet (our "June gloom"). By the second weekend of June, school will be letting out and the last weekend in May is Memorial Day weekend. Any 3 day weekend is bad as those who live within driving distance are here, those who can fly in for a couple of days are here, and the locals also go.

However, anytime between May and September is likely to be crowded. Just be prepared and expect it and you should do fine.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do all the schools have the same three day weekends? I know about Memorial Day, but how about the Pres birthdays? Probably it is a given that bank holidays will be crowded. Is Mem weekend as bad as summer? Or just more crowded.

The first time that I went DL was dead dead dead. It was kind of raining. We had NO WAIT. Sounds like a dream, but it isn't that much fun that way either. Not for the first time, anyway, and I was 22!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I believe all schools are observing President's Day on the 16th of this month. Most schools also observe Lincon's birthday (the 12th), but when is all over the board.

Something to keep in mind for So Cal: May is typically a gorgeous month, weatherwise. It's warm and usually not cloudy. June 1 all that changes, almost overnight! Days are gloomy and the weather cools. This lasts, usually, until the 4th of July when the weather turns instantly hot. So, Memorial Day weekend is our "beginning of summer" and the last weekend of great weather until 4th of July. So any venue that is out of doors is going to be crazy over Memorial Day weekend.

If you don't mind crowds or very warm weather (though we have had cool weather in May), then go and enjoy. If you prefer fewer people, then you might want to wait a week, or go a week before Memorial Day.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I KWYM heavens, thats how we feel about going to our local Six Flags.

But if you have to go to Disneyland in the summer, i truly wouldn't worry. We went in JULY of 1998, 2001 and 2003, two days each, as part of out-west road trips. It was never as busy as Disney World - at ANY time of year! And we've been to WDW countless times in many seasons, most recently for several spring breaks.

At all the parks, we've been able to do it ALL, and many attractions more than once. Also with some down time to chill and catch our breath - a must. It is possible. But we really planned ahead, arrived early and used fast pass ALOT.

We swear by the disney 'bible', The Unofficial Guide to Disney. It's been a huge help at ALL the parks!

Have fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:54 PM

We used to go to Disneyland every year during Christmas break. It's a bit chilly, but absolutely beautiful with all the lights and decorations. We usually went on the 22nd or 23rd and there was virtually no crowds at all - everyone was getting ready for Christmas, I guess. But the year we made the mistake of going after Christmas was quite different - crowds everywhere.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Any ideas about hotels there? We have stayed at the Disney hotel and the old Pan Pacific. The Hilton is nice.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM

They always say that Thurs & Fri are the lightest days at the parks, but we've always noticed that when attendance is down, so is the staffing...so you still encounter long lines at the food stands etc since half of them are closed.

If you're getting a 2-day pass, you could spring for a season pass for one person in your party, it's only a few dollars more. Check with the Disney hotels as they often have special rates for season passholders. A pass brought our room rate down from $139 to $89 at the renovated hotel near Cal Adventure.

Good Friday would be a good time to go if your kids don't have school
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:24 AM

The Coast Anaheim, near the Hilton, is pretty good. The Howard Johnson, at least a couple years ago, was much better than I would have expected a HoJo to be.