Disney World with Grandma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking grandma with us to Disney World and wondering about handicap facilities. She can get around without a wheelchair for short distances (like around the house) but there is no way she'll be able to negotiate any of the theme parks without assistance. Should we bring her wheelchair with us? We're flying so don't know how easy this would be. I heard that wheelchairs can be rented at the park but what if we get there and they've run out? I think she'll be okay in the hotel as she gets around the house quite well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
GoTravel

Disney is very wheelchair friendly and you will not have any problems in the park. If you are worried about the parks running out of wheelchairs, take Grandmas with her. The airlines and airports are also wheelchair friendly.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Dan

Have to agree. We took granny last year and she LOVED Disney. So much so that she's going back with her friends this summer! The key is to let the Disney folks know that you have special needs IN ADVANCE. We alerted the staff of the parks, the Swan Hotel, etc. and everything was very smooth.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:28 PM

My husband uses a manual wheelchair and we have been to Disney many times. All of the Disney theme parks are very wheelchair friendly and the staff is wonderful in assiting in any way they can. The only problem you may encounter (depending upon your age & strength)is pushing up some of the ramps into some of the entrances. I think the ramp up to the Monorail at Magic Kingdom was the steepest, but I am sure you can find someone to assist if you need help. All in all I wish more places were as helpful to wheelchair-bound individuals as Disney. Have a great time!
Marcia
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:48 PM

You will probably want wheelchair for non-WDW activities as well - such as going out to dinner, around hotel grounds. So it seems sensible to bring hers. Also, wheelchairs are not one-size-fits-all, so she will be more comfortable in her own.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:28 AM

My old posts my be still accessible on the board with a search to find the place we rented a wheelchair.

First time I was taking my mother to DW, I got the DW brochure for disabled visitors--get it. It tells you where to get/return chairs, prices, which rides are accessible, where to enter (may be different from general public), how much walking is involved to transfer to rides, etc. We've taken her to Magic Kingdom, Epcot (her favorite), Animal Kingdom, Whoop-de-doo Review, and Sea World in Orlando.

First time we used the park chairs--used her handicapped parking pass to get to park near park entrances, then walk or tram to entrance for chair and push from there on. Most inconvenient was at MK where brochure suggested return chair inside park and take monorail or boat to lot--mistake because she had to stand in line for ride--should have taken chair all the way to parking.

Next trip I arranged a wheelchair rental in Orlando. I don't remember where I found the reference--DW, online--but I called a local company that rents wheelchairs by the day or week for a very reasonable fee. They deliver to the airport or hotel and pick up when you leave. Her chair was waiting at the hotel reception desk when we checked in and I had them pick it up the morning of our departure--right on time. That way I had the chair all the way from the car and for out-of-town trips.

As you know, lifting the chair in and out of the car or van can be tiring, so I had to do more work to get the convenience.

I haven't taken a chair with us on a plane trip, using the airport chairs for that segment. But we are at the point I would if she flys again. The last time we left Orlando I dropped her and bags at the terminal while I returned the car, then returned to find her a wheelchair. An elderly couple said the counter agent had called for a chair for them an hour ago and it still hadn't arrived. I had gotten to the airport quite early, but hadn't planned an hour just to get a chair--she wanted lunch. I prowled the seating areas and found an abandoned chair that I hijacked for my Mom.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM

You're actually going to have a better time at Disbey with grandma in the wheelchair. Just go to the info office once onside Disney - they'll give you a pass for wheelchair accessible entrances and no one in you party will have to wait in line for any ride the whole time. Even if your Grandma doesn't want to go on a ride they usually let you go through the same entrance so she won't have to sit around and wait for the rest of her party to go through the line!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone, for this valuable information. You've really eased my mind about bringing grandma along. She adores being with the kids and they love having her around. This will be the first trip she's taken since her operation. I know she's a little apprehensive as she thinks she might spoil everyone's vacation. I think I'll call the airline and see what's involved in bringing her wheelchair with us. If that sounds like too much work, I'll look at renting one from a company in Orlando. As someone pointed out, there will probably be other places she might need it (e.g. the shopping mall). From everyone's replies, I'm sure we'll all have a great time!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM

The Seqway Scooter would be perfect for seniors.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:25 PM
GoTravel

Please ease Grandma's fears about spoiling everyone's vacation and let her know that with the wheelchair, the family gets to go through a special line. You will spend about a tenth of the time everyone else does in line.