Disney World with a Senior

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney World with a Senior

I am planning a trip to Disney World next year with my parents and my grandmother, who will be 76 by that time. She has knee problems, and while this doesn't hinder her mobility in ordinary day to day acivities, she would not be able to stand in line for one or two hours at a time, in addition to walking around the park all day. She does not want to use a motorized wheelchair as I had suggested, so I was wondering if Disney had any sort of system for allowing elderly guests to bypass the line. And if they do, would my parents and I still have to wait in line? Obviously, we'd all want to ride together.... Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Disney permits bypassing the line for handicap visitors. The Disney properties require extensive walking, not everyday distances. They rent the motorized scooters. I will bet grandmother will want one.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Push her in a wheelchair and you'll both get to the head of the line.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM

It's unrealistic for her to be able to do Disney without a scooter - there is just way too much walking and standing involved.. And yes - they have handicap options - but not for people who don;t use scooter or wheelchairs.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM

My Mom has a bad back and is fine for day to day but at disney used a wheelchair. It worked out fine. Disney is accessible for people in wheelchairs/scooters and you get to access via a different route depending on the ride. However, that does not mean you that get in faster. In a couple of cases it meant we had to wait longer - but she wasn't standing and it wasn't in a big line. You also might want to check out some of the disney forms like allears or mousesavers. They have tons of info on them.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM

We were at Disneyland and CA Adventure last month. They did have separate entrances for people in wheelchairs and their families (in some case I saw 5 people accompanying). They appeared to by bypassing a line and getting on much faster. Don't know about Disneyworld though.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll guess I'll try to convince her that the wheelchair is a good idea.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM

The Electric Convenience Vehicles (scooters) are available for rent on a first-come-first-served basis at the Disney parks.

Or there are companies that will bring one to your hotel and set it up. You have it for the duration of the trip and they pick it up on your departure day. See www.scootarama.com as one possibility - there are others.

It is great that you are doing your planning now. You will not have to wait "one or two hours" in line for anything if you have a good touring plan. We've gone during peak seasons and we have never done that - although we've seen the stand-by lines that say 90 minutes, etc. We ride all the headliners and see all the shows. A good touring plan provides "Best Days" information that puts you in the park with the lowest relative crowd level for each day of your trip. Then the plan keeps you out of the long lines and helps you make the most of fastpass options.

Our travel agent provides free touring plans when you book your reservations through them. See: www.buildabettermousetrip.com

The longest we've waited for a ride was about 20 minutes - with many shorter waits. We did wait about 30 minutes for the new "Finding Nemo - the Musical" show. We have kids so we always end up going in the peak summer season with big crowds.

Two other sources for good touring plans are www.tourguidemike.com (about $20). Or a book called "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" that I think is about $16.