Disney World / Orlando for 6

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney World / Orlando for 6

I am in the early planning for a Disney World trip for the family. I will need to save till 2010 on my Firefighter salary, but it will be worth it. The girls will be 15 and 13; the boys will be 11 and 6.

In my research it is apparent that larger families don't have as many options, especialy on a budget. WDW resorts only have a few rooms able to house us other than getting two attached rooms. Resorts at Paramount are worse.

I would like to stay on site, but cost and room are going to be tight. The Doubletree in Downtown Disney looks like a good alternative. At least Disney transportation is within a short walk. Any comments or suggestions are needed and welcome.

Thanks Angus
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Shuttles from Downtown Disney are not always reliable. WE stayed at the Hilton there once and it never seemed to be where it was supposed to. After the first day we rented a car (and watched all the other poor saps waiting for the missing free shuttle).
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Check out the Disney Wilderness Lodge Cabins. They sleep up to 6. Not sure what the rates are, but I think they are considered "on site" and therefore you can use the Disney transportation.

"Make yourself at home in an air-conditioned Wilderness cabin that sleeps six and comes with a fully equipped kitchen, cable TV, VCR, picnic table, charcoal grill and daily housekeeping."

http://tinyurl.com/2b7c3
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Also a family of six here...and the last two times we went to Disney, we stayed just outside the Disney complex at an Embassy Suites. I know you said you would like to stay on site, but this hotel you could get one room, plus breakfast included. Its a short drive to the parks, so you'd probably need to rent a car.

But the hotel is convenient, so its a thought and might be cheaper.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I looked at the cabins. They were running $255 a night. I also changed the search a little on the WDW resort site. I entered suit for a room and got the All Star Music family suit for $184. The difference almost pays for the tickets. I know the atmosphere wont be quiet at the Value resort, but we wont stay there much beyond sleeping. This is in early December so it should be slower. I guess we can rent a car for the end of the vacation to see Seaworld and Paramount.
Thanks, Angus
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM

You can get a house (even on a lake) with a private pool for less than the cost of some hotel rooms. Try VRBO or Mousesavers.com. You'll save tons of money on food, and will be much more comfortable. The drive to Disney (or Universal) is very easy.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Aduff, early December is a GREAT time to be at Disney - much less crowded.

The Value resorts are fine; nicely themed basic motel rooms. If you decide to go with the house rental option, there are a number of threads that might be helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35112210

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34780738

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34725282
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
emd

Rent a house in one of the developments off of Formosa Garden Blvd. (OAk Island Harbor, Windsor Palms, Emerald Island, etc., Rolling Hills, there are about 10 developments there). I rented one between Christmas and New Yrs on a lake in that area, 4 bedroom (2 bedrms had 2 twins in each) and 3 bath, big screen TV, lots of nice amenities, and big pool in backyard that looked over the lake. It was $1200 for the week. Since you are planning early, you can book early and get a good rate, instead of wiating til last minute and having to go through an agency and higher rates.

Many of those houses are owned by British people who rent through various websites. I've rented through two agencies and through 3 British individuals. Never had a problem w/any of the houses or rental process.

It is so nice to have room to spread ut, that nice pool and hot tub to come home to after a day at the parks, and if we stay for a week we always have two days where we just stay around the house and enjoy it.

Those developments are across the rd. from Animal Kingdom (Sherberth Rd. entrance), so you are on Disney property in 4 min. after you leave your driveway. It is reasonably about 15 min to get from the house to the parking for MGM or Magic Kingdom or Epcot.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM

The atmosphere will not be quiet at any resort. There are kids running around at every resort. Another thing to remember is that your kids will pretty much be able to go all day at their ages. I don't think you will really use your room other than to sleep. The 6 year old may need a nap in the afternoon. All disney properties are nicely themes and done right. You are right, it will be worth it to save now and enjoy a great time at Disney. Disney and National Parks (by far cheaper than Disney) have been our favorite vacations and it is what we save for each year.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM

One other thought. I don't have a problem with parents taking their kids out of school for a week to do Disney. Especially, if it is a once in a lifetime thing and your kids don't miss school and have good grades to start with. It is educational just to go see everything. This way you could do it when it isn't as busy, enjoy it a little more, and save money with lower rates. Our daughter has never missed school other than the one week we did the Disney Cruise. She still had all A's and didn't miss anything at school for that semester. She is in the 8th grade and we did that when she was in the 3rd grade. She generally misses one or two days a year for sickness. We don't even schedule the dentist during school hours. I don't advocate missing school, but if something truly special is going on then once every 5 or 10 years is not going to hurt anyone.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM

I also have 4 kids and we have typically stayed in two value resort rooms. That works pretty well.

Our travel agent urged us to consider "Windsor Hills" which has condos. We got a very nice 3 bedroom condo for about $100 per night for a June trip. We loved it. Our agent recommended this owner: http://www.tonylopes.com/wh.htm

It is great that you're doing your research early. I highly recommend that you use a good touring plan. It will help you avoid the long lines even during busy travel times. We've used three plans: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (book), www.tourguidemike.com, and www.buildabettermousetrip.com

We bought the book, service for the first two. Build A Better Mouse Trip provided plans for free when we booked the trip through them.