Package Plans for Disney World?

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Package Plans for Disney World?

We are hoping to surprise our two adult children, one son-in-law and one 10 year old granddaughter with a trip to Disney! Are there certain package plans that truly DO save you money that includes gate admission, hotel, etc? We also will be flying from Iowa and renting a car, but I'm thinking I can get pretty good flights and car rentals on the internet. We would need a large suite for all six of us or two hotel rooms and hope to spend at least four days at Disney. Then thought we would go to a beach for a couple or three days before flying home. Also we're thinking of going in late May or early June. When do the Florida kids get out of school? Would this possibly the be the "best" time to go during the summer? Thanks for any help you can give!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Disney has condos at their Key West resort that could handle your entire gang. You are correct that Disney does offer packages that include best price on park tickets and access to Disney transportation that is a major advantage. With a group your size, they may throw in a meal or another incentive to get you on property.

Cocoa Beach or Clearwater Beach are an hour plus drive. Both beaches have affordable family hotels and are nice visits for a couple of days. Check out the Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach for one.

By late May early June schools will be out somewhere and the parks will be busy.

I also agree that you virtually always can get better air fare and car rental than bundling with your Orlando hotel or Disney package.

If you follow a couple of Disney topics on this forum, you'll find allears and disboards references for full time guidance on Disney travel.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Take a look at mousesavers.com for tips, hints about a Disney vacation. Great info supplied
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I agree on Mousesavers. That is the best site to help you save money. Car and air you should do yourself.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM

The packages save money because you can get the dining plans, which can be a good value. These aren't available to guests staying at a non-Disney resort. You can also get free transfers to the resort from the Orlando International Airport and they have buses / boats etc. to the parks so you don't need a rental car, unless you want one. Staying on Disney property does grant free parking which saves $12 per day.

You can have Disney do your air or you can do that yourself. Both options are available.

For six people, the best value on Disney property are the cabins at the Ft. Wilderness campground, which accomodate six. Or do two rooms at a value resort. The suites that accomodate six can be very expensive.

Late May / early June is a great time to go. That's when we went this last summer and the crowds were very manageable with a good touring plan. www.buildabettermousetrip.com provided custom touring plans for us when we booked through them and it was the same price as booking ourselves.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM

The dining plan will not be as good a deal next year (it will not include appetizer nor the gratuity). That is a big jump from this year.

As to whether it saves money this year, it just depends on how one eats.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Disney requires considerable preparation. You need to decide things ASAP so you can be sure and get all your activities and dining arranged like you want to. For instance, Cinderella dining event in the Castle fills up 180 days out. There is no reason to have a car while at Disney. I would think crowds would be lower the earlier you can go in May. sometimes, AAA packages offer a somewhat better deal. I would think you would get a better rate on 2 hotel rooms. Large suites can be very expensive. I would spend time at one of the Disney
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Disney requires considerable preparation. You need to decide things ASAP so you can be sure and get all your activities and dining arranged like you want to. For instance, Cinderella dining event in the Castle fills up 180 days out. There is no reason to have a car while at Disney. I would think crowds would be lower the earlier you can go in May. sometimes, AAA packages offer a somewhat better deal. I would think you would get a better rate on 2 hotel rooms. Large suites can be very expensive. I would spend time at one of the Disney water parks over the beach. The water parks are aour favorite disney attraction.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM

I disagree about the car. Sometimes the buses are not convenient or are not direct. You might stop at another resort or two before reaching your destination. While we often used Disney transport it was good to have a car for some of our trips within WDW and to visit the Space Center.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I think I'd head for the beach first, and then do Disney. Once you're at Disney, it'll be hard to get a couple of kids to leave there without a big frown.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM

I'm the daughter they surprised and wow!!! ... it was definately a surprise. Thanks to everyone who has posted a message on here...it's great information!