Disney World and Universal

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney World and Universal

Hello again Fodorites.... a friend of mine from the UK is planing to take her children to Disney World and Universal. I have no clue about planning for this trip. Can you recommend hotels or any tips on how to go about this. They would like to stay in a nice hotel and a convenient location.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:08 AM

This is a very generic question with hundreds of answers. There are many books and websites devoted to planning a disney vacation. Here are some good ones to get started.

disboards.com
allears.net
mousesavers.com

Probably the first decision to make is do you want to stay on Disney/Universal property or off property. Plan Disney part first then add in Universal.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Mikster,

I live in Orlando and would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM

If your friends want something nice and convenient, then I recommend staying on-site for both theme parks. Depending on the time, split it 4 or 5 nights WDW and 2 or 3 nights Universal. All WDW packages have to be booked through Disney, and that can be done online. The Deluxe hotels are really nice but come at a premium. The value resorts are also fine, but they are big, sprawling, and crowded (and not always close by). There are also moderate resorts.

They will not need a car (if staying on-site, hotel transportation from the airport to WDW will be free and included). But they would have to pay for taxi or shuttle service from WDW to Universal and then from Universal to the airport. That is generally cheaper than renting a car for the week. The only downside is that they have to eat on-site.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Are your friends going to Disneyland (you posted in the California forum) or DisneyWorld which is near Orlando, FL
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- you REALLY need to clarify . . .

Disneyland - California

or

Disney World - Florida
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Sorry....California
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Never mind
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Then you might want to re-post w/ Disneyland in the title . . .
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:48 AM

If you buy a 3-day and up Park Hopper you get one free magic morning at Disneyland with entry one hour before opening time, this is only if you book online and not at the ticket window.
I live in Southern California so I have not stayed overnight but my choice would be the Residence Inn Maingate, you get free hot breakfast and light dinners M-Th. I think they may have free parking and they can take the ART Shuttle if they do not want to walk. I have stayed in other Residence Inns and they are good value for the money. This a a suite hotel.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Yes, the OP needs to re-post with the correct destination names:

DisneyLAND
Universal Studios HOLLYWOOD

Which are 35 MILES APART by the most direct route. In two separate COUNTIES.

There will be NO one hotel that will be "convenient" to both, i.e., a short drive away in a nice neighborhood. Your UK friend probably has no concept of the vast size of LA Metro, nor of the wild disparities in relative touristic attractiveness as one travels between neighborhoods and/or cities (well over 100 in LA County).

He/she will need to be comfortable driving fairly long distances on our freeways. Or he/she will need to hire drivers or take arranged and/or public transportation to get around.

Basically, for visiting LA Metro, one should choose the neighborhood that has the best mix of amenities to enjoy when NOT going around to see the tourist attractions-- that is, the most pleasant ambience, good dining options, night life if so inclined, etc.

Also: You will have to supply a real definition of "nice" lodging. Luxurious? Expensive? Child-friendly? The price question often drives the neighborhood suggestion. What is reasonable in Anaheim may be undoable in Santa Monica.

However, I'll take a stab in the dark: If your friend is fine with driving a lot to tourist attractions (or taking said arranged transportation options), Santa Monica is a popular place to stay. VERY popular. If the friend REALLY doesn't mind a lot of driving and wants a beach stay at a slightly lower lodging cost, there are OC places like Huntington Beach or Seal Beach. If being VERY close to Disneyland is important, he/she should bite the bullet and stay close to the park in Anaheim-- accepting that everything else (like good non-chain dining) is going to be a drive away.

What else does your friend envision doing while here?
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Not sure what else at this stage....just wanted to get some preliminary info. Thanks to all...I appreciate it. Perhaps I will repost.