Disney World- less crowded?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids are thinking of a trip to Disney Land with their 6 and 4 year-olds, Other than during the summer months, when might be a good time to go? Is it very crowded mid -February? How about over the holidays in December?
Thanx.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Hello Gail - your title refers to Disney World, but your text refers to Disneyland (two different states). Will your family be heading to California or Florida?
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Hi Gail,
We had the best times visiting Disney World BEFORE Christmas. If they can possibly make it at that time, it is ideal. NO crowds---those always come after Christmas, and the weather is usually ideal for people from up north. It was always our favorite time to visit as Florida residents, as the Christmas decorations were beautiful, there are many, many performances and choirs during that time, both in the parks and in the Disney Marketplace area in Lake Buena Vista. Most hotels have a special package deal for that time---the Grand Floridian, in particular, has a great deal and it is beautifully decorated. Even if they don't want to stay on site, they should try a meal at that hotel. But all the properties will have special prices and goings on, even hotels farther away.

Be careful of mid-February, as it can be extremely crowded during the "ski holiday" weekend that most schools seem to give. Steve Birnbaum (sic?) has published the unofficial guide to Disney world that would give your children a wealth of useful information, particularly the charts of peak visitation by month.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM

NGail, if it's Disney World you are referring to, then kswl is right on the money. The first two weeks in December are wonderful - it is indeed when Florida residents visit the parks, and it is the calm before the storm.

WDW is absolutely jammed during the holidays in December (at times last year the Magic Kingdom was closed to non-Disney hotel guests by noon because the park was filled to capacity). February isn't as bad, but yes, it can be very busy around the President's day weekend.

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM

We were there the week after easter week (that is after the post easter week) and it was fairly uncrowded - and not a lot of kids. There were quite a few seniors - and they're much easier to outrun.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Disneyworld is always crowded, even before Epcot, the last time I went, in the early 1980s, I felt suffocated by the amt of people on Main Street. Best time would be January, the offspring are back at school and the major holidays are over with.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM
TC

Completely agree -- first two weeks of December are great at Disney World (Florida). Right after Thanksgiving vacation and before Christmas is the time to go. I've attended several meetings during that time frame and its always quiet.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:21 AM

mid-February would be about the worst time to go - many public schools in northeast have week of President's Day off - which is week after third Monday in Feb. We have also gone late April/early May and it is less crowded, but sometimes hot.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:16 AM

You should probably look at these sites for more info www.mousesaver.com and www.disboards.com.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi kopp!
Whoops! I'm showing my age! I remember when there was ONLY Disneyland...we went there several times with my own kids- now in their 30's. What I mean is Disneyworld in Florida.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for the advice. I'll pass it on to my kids.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:31 AM
GoTravel

Mid February during President's Week will be packed as well as Christmas week.

You've managed to pick to two of the busiest times of the year for Disney.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM
JJ5

IMHO, the best and least crowded has been in October. One time the third week in October, they were actually waiting for people to board before they started the attraction on several days of the trip. And none of the parks were crowded as I've heard they are on holidays etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:46 AM

I know it is hard w/school and a 6 y.o but we used to take our son out for a few days--not too many, we would combine it w/a week-end--and go during the first week in November. (By late Nov and early Dec, the weather can be more iffy, in our experience.) It was great!! The parks were not crowded but the weather was still summer-like, by New England, not FL standards, so we could go to the parks for a few hours in the mornings and then come back to the pool for a few hours at mid-day. The only disadvantage w/that time of year is that the parks don't stay open very late. Whatever they decide, I hope they have a great time!!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Another good website is www.allearsnet.com

The moderator of that site posts a month by month discussion looking at busy and less busy times for each of the different parks at WDW
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Mid February is a bad time to come to Florida unless you are into race cars. We have a really big race around Valentines day here in daytona beach and a lot of fans stay in orlando and travel back and forth. Visiting the parks and other attractions when there is no race that day.

The first two weeks in December are a great time to come. But if you want to go to any of the water parks or enjoy the beaches the water is too cold and the water parks are closed.

Early May is another nice time to come. Epcot is doing their lawn and garden shows. I have found that Mothers day is a great day to visit the parks.

Disney also offers a early admission for patrons who stay in their hotels. Each day one park opens an hour early for those who can get up and go. Its the best time to hit the big rides.

Have fun.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM

We have been the first week of February to DW, and it was very slow with no lines. We have also been during the first two weeks of December; all the holiday decorations are up, yet again, no lines, no waiting! Both are excellent times to visit. October and January are also good, although Oct is the end of hurrican season, and Jan can be quite cold.

The last two weeks of Feb will be packed with all the Northeast school vacations. Summer is also busy, and Christmas week and Easter week are absolutely impossible.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Another vote for October.

We went in October several years ago. The weather was perfect and we could go to the water parks. The longest line we stood in was about 12 minutes.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
JJ5

My girlfriend's daughter managed a restaurant at WDW for 6 years and says that October has definitely been the most consistently pleasant all around.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Just a note about the weather: October can still be very hot, especially for people from up north. If your kids and grands will want to swim, they could probably do so in October---although they wouldn't see anyone from Florida in the pool! Someone else made the valid point about the hurricane season--the rhyme ends with "October all over," but in fact we never experienced one that late in the season, so I wouldn't necessarily rule out Oct. on that account. The weather during the first two weeks of December is mild and beautiful, usually not rainy at all, and would still seem pretty warm to anyone out of the deep South.

But the wonderful thing about 4 and 6-year-olds is that they will have a great time even in the dead heat of summer!