Disney in Orlando in Summer or Winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go to Disney maybe in January 2009 or summer of 2008. It will be easier to go this summer but I know Jan of 2009 will be less people. Will having a fast pass make it better during the summer. Which month of the summer is best. Just getting opinions from people who done either of the two.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM

If you go in the summer go as early in May as possible. June, July, August are hot and tons of people. Use Fast Pass no matter when you go. It makes no sense to stand in line for even 30 minutes. I don't understand why more people don't use a fast pass. I would guess it saves us at least 30% of our time standing in line since Disney implemented the idea of a fast pass. January or February would both be slower time with better rates for lodging. Even then, you can hit some pretty busy spells. We have always found Sundays to be the slowest time for the parks. Another tip is to go to the parks early in the day and then later in the day. Parks are most crowded 11:00am to 5:00PM. Anytime during those times is a good time to dine, take in a parade, take a nap, or swim. Speaking of swimming, do consider going to one of their waterparks. It is one of our favorite disney experiences, and a lot of folks think it just another waterpark. They truly are a notch above most waterparks (save the Schlitterbahn, it is simply the best). I think a 5 day stay is the perfect amount of time for a Disney Trip. I also think it is worth your money to stay at one of the three monorail hotels. Again, go during the slow times and save $$$ enjoy a step up in lodging. Disney is a good experience anytime. Careful planning is key to any trip, especially at Disney. Do buy a book or two if you haven't already. We always plan one big meal each day.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM

We stayed at the Contemporary in January. It was nice having the monorail especially with kids, and the weather was nice and cool. With the monorail, we would go back to the hotel during the peak time in the middle of the day to rest up, then go back after sundown when it got less crowded. It was almost empty about an hour or two before closing and we were able to ride Splash Mountain and just about any other ride several times over because all of the lines were gone. Because we were all still jet lagged, the kids were able to stay up very late the first couple of nights so we had a blast. We could ride anything we wanted without any wait lines.

One park employee said you don't want to be here in the summer--it is too hot and crowded, and people get real cranky.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Winter, no question.

Those of us who live here avoid theme parks like the hell they are in the summer: Big crowds, heat, humidity (you'll sweat through you clothes by noon), and afternoon thunderstorms.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Respecting the accurate reports of crowds, summer temps and daily thunderstorms; January also has weather risk. Last week temps were below freezing at night in Orlando. Even though daytimes can warm to 50's or even 60's during a cold front, mornings and evenings are chilly. January will be a breeze on crowds, but possibly very cold.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Winter, as said by others, is definitely the way to go. Going in the summer is much less fun.

Also, I hope you realize you can only hold one FastPass at one time. I.E., if you go and get one at splash mountain at 10 am for 11 am, you can't get another one until you ride Splash Mtn. This really won't be a problem in winter, though.

Another thing about ride queue times: Disney often overestimates the wait, so if the sign says 30 minutes, expect 25 minutes or less.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Another vote from a Florida native for January. No one with a grain of sense would try to stand in line with kids in 100+ degree heat index conditions and expect to have fun. Now, is it always that hot in the summer? No, just as it is not always cold in January. Right now, we're having 70s in the panhandle, but we just came off of teens at night... but I think it's infinitely preferable to chance cold and rain, which you can prepare for. Go to the beach in the summer, don't go to Disney in the summer.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM

I have lived here 21 years and would not go to Disney in the summer. I am reasonably accustomed to the summer heat and humidity, but the majority of our visitors are not. A day at WDW can be long (10-12+ hours), tiring and even exhausting. Factor in our summer thunderstorms and occasional lightning (Central FL is the lightning capitol of the WORLD.)it would not be my idea of fun. I too vote for January.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM

Midsummer at Disney can be utterly miserable. The last time we tried to do Disney in August, we were so wilted we spent over two hours lounging at the French restaurant, just waiting for the heat to die down a little. And then when it finally did cool off, we got a raging thunderstorm.

Winter can be chilly, be prepared and dress in layers. Keep the cooler temps in mind if you're on any rides that involve splashing water.

On an uncrowded winter day, you can get through the theme parks so much faster. My mother and I went to Bush Gardens in mid-December (before the school breaks) and there were no lines at any rides whatsoever. We walked right onto any ride that interested us. Disney won't be quite as uncrowded, but even so, the difference between non-holiday winter visits and peak summer days is striking.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Having been in summer and winter, definitely go in the winter.