Disney in Aug. with a baby--crazy idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone--my sister and I are planning a trip in August for our families. My son will be 10 mos. and hers will be 18 mos. We both are teachers so the trip does need to be in the summer. We would go the last week in Aug. when some guide books said the park would be less crowded. We were thinking Disney but are concerned about the heat with the little ones. My question is, are there enough indoor, air-conditioned activities to make it worth while for us? I've been there several times as a child and I remember most of the rides being inside. We were planning to stay on property so we would be able to go back for a nap in the afternoon when it is hottest. What do you think--would we have a good time or would we all be miserable? I'd appreciate hearing your experiences!
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Unless there are other, older children involved, you should save this trip until your babies are older. You will spend over $50/day admission (although the babes will probably be free) and you will have to have someone hold/watch your babies for some of the attractions, they may be frightened, rather than amused by the life size characters, and it will be hot and sunny (unless its hot and raining). Your babies, and therefore the rest of you, would probably enjoy a nice stay at a great beach much more at this age. I did take my kids (now teenagers) to Disney for a couple of days when they were young (9 mos and 3 yrs) and they (and my husband and I)liked it much more when we returned when they were middle=school ages
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:41 AM
GoTravel

The problem would be the waiting in line outside for the rides.

I think if you go early in the morning and then back in the evening, you will be fine. I would try and avoid the parks between noon and 5PM.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Again, unless you have older children, I would wait a while to take this trip. We took our son for the first time when he was four years old. It was the perfect trip. He was old enough to enjoy many of the rides and LOVED the characters. We went in January, so we didn't have to deal with the heat and humidity. We have been to Disney many, many times and I often wonder why people take babies to Disney (especially in the summer).

The heat and humidity in the summer can be almost unbearable. Your babies will probably be miserable. I would wait - just my two cents, of course.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:29 AM

I totally agree with Rachel and antmaril.
Teacher (sub) here; been there, done that. You don't want to do this at this point in your life. No, there are definitely not enough indoor places in the parks. WDW is an amazing place but you'll have plenty of time to share it with your children, well into their teens.

Have you considered going over Easter break? Yes its crowded but with fast pass (and trading off) you can do a lot more than you will be able to when you're melting in August.

Why not find a lovely relaxing beach that has a kiddie-land type amusement park nearby? You and your babies can ride the merry-go-round for some great photo-ops, too. You'll save an incredible amount of frustration and lots of money, that you will definitely need when they're a bit older and can actually enjoy the parks with you!
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM

My husband and I took my son there one August when he was 14 months old. We were in Florida anyway and thought it would be fun to do Disney / Epcot for a day. We could hardly do any activities with him, because of his age, and we got a little sick of the Small World boat ride. Thank goodness he was an easy baby! We slathered sunscreen all over his head, and it looked like he was incredibly sweaty. The heat wasn't really much of a problem, but we lived in Houston at the time and were used to summer heat and humidity.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it may not be the best choice given our children's ages and the time of year but I was hoping maybe some people had good experiences and were able to make it work. Our alternate choice on the totally opposite end of the east coast is southern Maine, I think I'll start looking into that option!
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:40 AM

It's a little late, but what about Cape cod, Massachusetts?
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Good call, Allieinni!
You might want to look into the Spar Hawk Inn in Ogunquit or the Tides Inn condo units on Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport.
Also, Lacal's suggestion of Cape Cod with kids is great. The Trade Winds Inn across the street from Craigville Beach would be a great location, and all the tourist and kiddie stuff (carousel, minigolf, ice cream, penny candy, boat tours) of Hyannis is right down the street.
Have a wonderful family vacation!