directions in Philly

Jun 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

directions in Philly

I'm trying to figure the best way to drive from the Philadelphia Aiport to Independence Hall. When I go online for directions, none seem to show taking I-95 but that seems like the quickest and easiest route. Are there problems with going that way
Jun 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Taking I-95 seems like the best route to me. What are the online directions saying?
Jun 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

They suggest 291 over to I-76. That just seems a little roundabout to me.
Jun 17th, 2005, 12:27 PM

take the online directions. 76 is just on the west side of downtown and 95 on the east side.1060 on the radio has great traffic reports on the 2's.
Jun 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM

I would take 95 north to 76 west, exit at first exit and head south to 5th n market.
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM

291 to I-76 is a little bit shorter for center-city. But for Independence Hall, especially for visitors, I-95 is easier; as there are a few lane changes and turns from 291 to 76, and the on- and off-ramps on I-76 are very short and abrupt. I don't like going that way.
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:26 AM

if you are not comfortable with local city driving take 95, otherwise take 291, it is the local route cabs and shuttle services use it all the time in and out of the airport.
Jun 18th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Jed

Quickest and easiest route -

I-95 to PA 30 west (Vine St). There will be signs as you head north on 95 to center city and Independence area.
Jun 18th, 2005, 04:39 PM

If you are thinking of taking I-95, please do listen for traffic reports on KYW 1060AM.

There are many, many times that I-95 is absolutely NOT the fastest way. Traffic congestion is the norm - especially during rush hour.

When are you planning on driving it? I would think twice if it's rush hour.
Jun 20th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Karens, I'm actually going to be there at about 1 in the afternoon. I'd rather go the more direct route, which appears to be I-95. It looks like the most straight shot. Also, is parking readily available for a price?
Jun 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Jed

There is usually parking available.

http://www.constitutioncenter.org/visiting/VisitorInformation/index.shtml#Parking

"Parking
Convenient parking for cars is available at the underground lots below the National Constitution Center, (enter from Race Street), and at the Independence Visitor Center, (enter from 5th or 6th Streets, between Arch and Market Streets.)"

Also in private parking lots around.

Jun 20th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I'm glad to hear you're not going during rush hour - it will be a LOT less stressful for you.

I always take the Schuykill Expressway (I76) - that's just what I'm used to. This way is the most NON scenic route - past smelly oil refineries and not the best neighborhoods Phila has to offer. If you do go this way, don't judge Phila by this route!

Yes, parking is available, it may be price-y, but worth it, b/c parking spots are hard to find.

If you have extra time, we like walking around the historic area, between Market and Walnut and Front Street and 5th Streets. There are narrow streets, landscaped areas, and as you walk, you come across all sorts of other historic areas, i.e. Carpenter Hall, etc.

Jun 20th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I see from your other posts that you'll only be in town a short while. Why not take the train from the airport right into center city. Here's the schedule.

http://www.septa.org/service/pdfs/R1Airport.pdf
Jun 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Buongiorno, I would like to take the train but I'm renting a car a the airport and then going to Berwyn for work that evening. I do like mass transit, but I live in Texas and the car is king here.
Jun 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Trust me, train transportation is still very underused in Philly also. We'll stop nagging BUT there is a SEPTA, regional train station in Berwyn that is very convenient to Center City.
Jun 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I'm a non-Philadelphian who has had occasion to visit the city several times recently including a couple of tries to visit Independence Hall, the first unsuccessful.

dacapo, be aware that you cannot get into Independence Hall at all now without a ticket, and the tickets for the day can all be sold out by 1 PM, as they were the first time I went.

The good news is that you can buy tickets for a specific tour time online or by phone (as long as you are requesting a future date--no same day sales)at only $1.50 a ticket. See this site for more details as well as the link and phone number for tickets:
http://www.nps.gov/inde/tickets.htm

I strongly recommend you use this service, particularly since the monetary loss in case you end up not being able to get there is nominal. Your actual tour of the Hall will be short--less than a half hour--but to get into its immediate area, you will have to wait in a security screening line that often requires more than a half hour wait. Then there are other interesting buildings on the other side of the security checkpoint to see on the way to the Hall, including the Liberty Bell in its visitor center, and the buildings which housed the U.S. Congress and the Supreme Court during their first decade.

You are required to pick up your ticket at least an hour before your tour's scheduled time, to make sure you have time to get through security, and with the possibility of air or traffic delay, if you will not be arriving in the city until the afternoon I would book the latest available tour of the Hall to be sure you don't miss out. You still have to go through the security line to see the Liberty Bell and the buildings around the Hall, but you can go into any of those without a ticket. Even if you've gone through security, though, you won't get in the Hall without a ticket.

Parking was easy in the huge Independence Center garage, although expensive ($12). I didn't price the nearby public parking lots, but I found parking very expensive in Center City Philly in general and I doubt you'd save a whole lot if staying at least a couple of hours.

I used both routes discussed above, and though I think the I-76 route is probably a little lower mileage, I would tend to recommend the I-95 route for the first-timer too, if for no other reason that you are unloaded from the Interstate closer to the Hall and there is better signage directing you to it. I liked the views of the Ben Franklin Bridge too. Also, it seemed to me that when I listened to the traffic reports on 1060, the biggest delays were usually on the Schuykill Expressway (I-76), but maybe I just noticed them because the local pronunciation (Skookle?) just seems so delightfully quaint to us outsiders.

Jun 24th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Topping so Katti can read my post above about visiting the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and get the link for tickets.