Best route from New Jersey to West Virginia

Jul 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Best route from New Jersey to West Virginia

We will be traveling from Central New Jersey to the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, WV. Which would be the best route to take? Then, what is the distance from the Greenbrier to Charleston, WV.
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM

www.freetrip.com will give you that information. You will have to get on I-81 south from NJ to I-64 west. I-64 will take you to Charleston.
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

That is the route my husband thought would work best. When we look on mapquest, they are different directions going through delaware and maryland. It seems like that way will be much more congested. Is the other route the quickest way to go.
Jul 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM

It depends where you live in NJ. We live off I-81 in VA and when we go to LI we take I-81 north to I-78 and across NJ. If you are further south you may be better off with the NJTP and I-95 before heading west out of Baltimore to I-81.
Jul 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I'd just use mapquest.com -- there are so many interstates in NJ, it's hard to say which one is most convenient for you!
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

We did look on mapquest and gps but it gives has us going through delaware, baltimore, etc. which seems likely that we will hit traffic and not as convenient. By looking at a map, I-81 to I-64 looks like the best route, but we were just wondering why mapquest gives a different way. We are coming from central new jersey near 195 and the nj turnpike.
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM

I'd definately say if you can head west as early as possible that'd be great. You'd really like to stay away from the Baltimore to DC to Northern Va mess on I-95. It's never not like driving on a racetrack w/way too many cars.
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Take the PATP west to I-81.

Add a few miles, but you bypass the Baltimore and DC metropolitan.
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:33 AM

The Greenbrier is 2 hours from Charleston, WV.

Was at The Greenbrier last weekend. Any questions?
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I always hear so much about the Greenbrier, so since we were passing through I thought it would be nice to stop by enroute to Charleston. We figured we would get there around lunch time and when I called, even if you are not staying at the resort, you can walk around the grounds and have lunch. Do you know anything about that? Also, any suggestions for the short time that we will be there. Thanks.
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM

The New River Gorge and Tamarack are north of Beckley.

I haven't been since I was a kid but also loved Hawk's Nest.
Jul 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yes, the grounds are again open to the public.

Eat at Drapers for lunch (it's on the lower level of the hotel). Wonderful food and a fried green tomato sandwich which is to die for. I'm normally not into green tomotoes but it is soooo good. With it you get veggie chips which are unique (of course, you can always substitute). You can buy them at the gourmet shop. The Greenbrier has great chicken salad. Be sure to do dessert.

The only other places for lunch at the Greenbrier are at the Golf Club (nice restaurant) and the pool. The Golf Club is by the tennis courts and the pool. There is a restaurant and a bar there.

Dress has become more casual but jeans may still be frowned upon. Not sure. Shorts are OK.

On the main level (inside), wander through all the ballrooms and side rooms. On the lower level, check out all the shops. Don't forget to go past Drapers and check out the indoor pool, the spa store, etc. Don't miss the gourmet shop - the salsa is awesome. Take some home. The chocolate covered fruit is also very good, especially the blueberries.

Check out the museum and shops on the hill. Anyone at the Greenbrier can direct you to them.

Near the candy shop on the lower level, go outside at those doors. There is a nice garden but right at the door, you can catch a shuttle to take you to the pool/tennis/golf area.

If you are there by 10:30am, you can catch the tour of the main level. It is very interesting. Not sure what time the outside tour is.

On the tours, you will learn interesting things you would not realize just by looking. For instance, did you know the Greenbrier was taken over during the Civil War and used as a hospital? It was also taken over/bought by the government during the World War and used as a hospital.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Jul 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM

no question, head west quick. i usually take the pa turnpike and then head south to what ever part of wv i'm headed, in your case hit 81 then 64 like others have advised. take the turnpike to exit 6 for pennsylvania turnpike, go west (the pa tp is 276 and 76) then 81 s to 64.