Dinner near Madison Square Garden …. Interesting not chain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2023, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi…. It’s been a while between posts but we are finally heading to NYC (from Australia)and some driving, in May. Beyond excited!

I’ll post details and questions 😆 separately but we have secured Billy Joel tickets for a Friday night at MSG…. Bucket list item. We will be heading ‘back’ into NYC (story in next post &#128518. We will arrive into Penn Station late afternoon, concert starts at 8pm. Would love to hear your restaurant recommendations, something ’special’, weather that means quaint, local …I’d love to hear. Really don’t want to waste the evening on a ‘chain steakhouse’!

thanks 😀
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How about a non-chain steakhouse? https://www.keens.com

Keen's is famous for its mutton chop (really lamb), but it's gigantic. The pub used to serve a half-portion, not sure if it still does. Old place with lots of atmosphere.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 08:57 AM

They don't have a half portion on the menu, I think the size of meat served in a lot of US restaurants is obscene and disgusting. Their lamb chop is 26 ounces for heaven's sake. ANd lamb is pretty fatty. I was just in a resort area and like a nice filet mignon or steak and the only close restaurants only served a ribeye steak in a size of 16 oz, filet mignon was 10 oz. Who eats a pound of meat for dinner. I really don't know why they do that, I would much rather have a 4-6 oz piece before cooking and pay less. In fact, I'd almost be willing to pay the same, I just find this kind of food waste immoral. And on vacation, you usually can't take it home with you, especially if going to a show right after.

I don't really understand why restaurants do this. There can't be anyone who wants to eat a 26 oz lamb chop. I would never eat even a 13 oz one. Lamb is really fatty, alhtogh I like it a bit in some Indian dishes.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 09:20 AM

I agree with Keens. Nothing like a chain, great atmosphere, food, and service, Wife definitely did a number on her T-bone last visit!

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 11:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Christina: The OP is from OZ . . . I'm pretty sure they're quite familiar with lamb (or even mutton) Just sayin'

I've only been to Keens once (and that was by mistake) and loved it
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Wow that is a LOT of meat. Portions in the US are famously/infamously 🤷‍♀️ quite a bit larger than here, in general. I’ve always felt it’s ‘a lot’ but we’ve learned to order accordingly.

just as a comparison, we have a local pub that’s well known for its steak. I typically order the 200g ( 7oz) rib eye.

thanks for all the ideas…. Madly googling now.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Wow that is a LOT of meat. Portions in the US are famously/infamously 🤷‍♀️ quite a bit larger than here, in general. I’ve always felt it’s ‘a lot’ but we’ve learned to order accordingly.

just as a comparison, we have a local pub that’s well known for its steak. I typically order the 200g ( 7oz) rib eye.

thanks for all the ideas…. Madly googling now.

The weight is the weight before cooking! Very different from the weight served at table.

The area near MSG has always had a pretty dire reputation for restaurants. This is changing. I'm not going to suggest Asian, since you already have great places at for that. This new-ish restaurant is very, very good; Italian food cooked with fire. (And yes, they do have meats (a hefty bistecca, skirt steak, andn fish-- grilled over wood, plus lamb and pork etc) Wood-roasted chicken as well.... Cue the pastas, too.

Very well reviewed; book table ahead of arrival for prime dinner hours. Chef trained under Bobby Flay,, early on and, later with Missy Robbins, among the most well-respected Italian cuisine masters in the US. The restaurant is under the umbrella of Danny Meyer, probably the most lauded restaurant owner in NYC, if not the country. This means that service will be excellent. That would be my pick without a doubt.

https://www.cisiamonyc.com/menus/#dinner

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 21st, 2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

That looks perfect…. Can’t book yet, I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
That looks perfect…. Can’t book yet, I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you

Good! Let us know how it goes! I remember you from these forums! Have a great visit!!
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Walk east along 32d Street to: Artisanal Fromagerie - Bistro - Wine Bar - between Madison & Park - resv 212-725-8585
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 08:58 AM

This event has already happened but I would recommend Stella in Macy's. There is an elevator direct to the sixth floor. I've only been there for lunch but reservations were needed. My office was on 31st street between 6th and 7th and so there is Pennsylvania6, a pubby place that managed to survive the pandemic which is okay as well as Freedman's which is a glorified coffee shop and is vegan friendly.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 10:46 AM

We love Keen’s, historic chop house with an interesting old school ambience. They have a very nice pub menu which is available in the bar area, either on the bar itself or in the sitting area.

I had the strip steak salad and my wife had their cobb salad. Both substantial portions and delicious, perfect with bread and a beer or glass of wine. We walked out fully satisfied but not stuffed.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 11:12 AM

And didn’t notice the original post date lol. But perhaps this will help others with planning.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 07:40 PM

I see that Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro is closed.

I’m looking closer to Madison Square Park. Hilstone, Sarabeth’s, Barbounia?

Last edited by lrice; Sep 2nd, 2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 11:53 AM

You can do better.....(Hillstone is a chain, I believe, but could be mistaken)

Off top of my head..not far...UPLAND, CASA MONO... and Hawksmoor...I've not been to the last one but it is on my list..but that one is famous for beef......from UK..

Really, just go to CASA MONo but book ahead......seating not too comfy but food is excellent.....

You are near lots of Korean places....is that of interest?????

.More when I return to the city tomorrow.....what is the budget, more or less? Favorite food category?

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Sep 3rd, 2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 06:53 PM

Thank you ekscrunchy! Going to Uplands!
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 06:28 PM

A couple of quick recommendations that we visited this weekend:

*Nubelez at the top of the Ritz Carlton NoMad - Pricey cocktails but the view took our breath away!
*Spice Symphony at 31st and Lexington - Wonderful service, delicious Indian dishes