Search

Chicago public transit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2023, 11:47 AM
lmz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago public transit

Going to Chicago for a few days in Chicago with my 5 year old. Plan to stay downtown and do all the touristy things. Is it safe to ride the buses and subway?
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 07:47 AM

If you are doing tourist things in tourist areas, yes, buses and "EL" safe and easy to use. The same getting to/from either airport to the city. If you let us know where you are staying and where you want to go we can make specific suggestions. But great things with a kid that age are Lincoln Park Zoo and Peggy Notebaert Nature Center at one end and the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum at the other end.
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 07:58 AM

Hi, have a great time in my hometown!
The buses are very safe, I like that there is a driver monitoring, and the ability to get off quickly if you feel uncomfortable.

The subways are another issue. I don't ride the Red line anymore unless it is a crowded situation, like heading to a Cub game.You are more vulnerable if traveling at a non peak time, waiting in a subway station or on a train without many other passengers. Unfortunately, there are people who spend their day on the train looking for opportunities and panhandlers.
We do ride the trains from the airports without issues.

Chicago is a very walkable town and since you are staying near the action, maybe head out on foot, and catch an Uber back at the end of your day if you are worn out. Make sure you do the Architectural Boat Tour! Enjoy!
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 08:00 AM

Haha! Was composing at the same time