Page AZ boating/kayaking help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My husband and I will be staying 2 nights in Page AZ at the end of September. We will leave Grand Canyon Village around 12:30 on Wednesday after we finish the South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge hike, and I assume reach Page around 3:30.

I figured we would do horseshoe bend on the way in. But otherwise not sure what to do with this first late afternoon/evening?

On Thursday morning, I have a decision to make. I booked the kayak+hike tour of antelope canyon that starts at 8:30am. And then I also booked the official lower antelope walking tour for 3:15pm. But i saw some folks said antelope kayak is super choppy on the way back in Lake Powell, and that I should do the horseshoe bend kayaking trip that leaves from Lee’s Ferry instead. So I booked that for 9am, backhaul dropping us off at Petroglyph beach. I don’t know if we would make it in time for the lower antelope canyon tour — but there is a 4pm tour we could probably change it to, if lighting is still ok in there then?? I am now double-booked, so I need to cancel one of these kayak options next week, so I can get my money back. Or option 3 would be to do a 2-hour power boat charter on lake Powell that can go into some of the canyons (with a captain — we have no boating experience). Does anyone have an opinion on which option is best for stunning visual scenery and experience?

On Friday morning, we will do something small like the New wave hike on the way out of town to Flagstaff, where we will visit Wupatki and Walnut Canyon. There are currently no available antelope canyon tours for Friday morning, or I’d switch that to Friday.

I’m torn. Kayaking the Colorado seems more peaceful and grand, but it’s also an hour drive from Page. Antelope kayaking seems cool in that it looks more narrow and twisty, but there’s the unpleasant part crossing the lake. Also, if we don’t do anything on Lake Powell, was there much of a reason to come to Page? (Or is Page still the place you would stay for Lee’s Ferry attractions, despite the distance.)

Any thoughts for making the most of this short time in Page?

Thank you!

Last edited by lindsaysterling5228; Sep 6th, 2023 at 08:57 PM.