Dining suggestions Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 17y/o daughter and I will be seeing 'The Producers' at the Colonial Theatre while in Boston on vacation. We are staying in the Back Bay area and I am looking for some pre-theatre dinner suggestions. She is not into seafood (my rotten luck), any other cuisine should be fine.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Pho Pasteur is in the theater district and is very good. it's Vietnamese. They have a coconut custard dessert that comes in a coconut shell with sauces for dipping - chocolate and caramel I think. I was dying when I saw it but didn't realize you had to pre-order so I missed out. I heard it was delicious.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:31 PM

I was just in Boston last month and had a few good meals in Back Bay (stayed at the Colanade).

Brasserie Jo at the Colanade is a great French restaurant. If you go there try the skate in brown butter (since you like seafood) it is heaven!

Also I stopped in at Abe & Louie's right across from the Pru. This would be a great dinner place. Mainly steak and meat but they had some seafood on the menu too.

Have fun!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:36 PM

The Cottonwood Cafe is also a good place to try. It's not too far and has plenty of stuff on the menu for both of you to enjoy. I live just outside Boston and I love the city so much! Too bad she doesn't like seafood... so many good places to go in and around the city!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There is a great restaurant only doors away(reservations) Le Troquet. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:04 PM

So many choices, so little time!
If you want a "nice" meal - good service, elegant, etc -
Brasserie Jo - excelent food, great deserts (don't miss the profiteroles - puff pastry with ice cream and chocolate sauce)
Ambrosia - fabulous food, a fine restaurant

Fun restaurants, not as "fancy" -
Pho Pasteur (see above posting)
Cheesecake Factory
China town is just down the street from the theater district - try East Ocean City (great fish, but lots of other food)
Via Matta - good italian
and finally, if you want dessert after the theater, go to Finale - fabulous desserts down the street from the colonial.
enjoy
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:21 PM

I like going to the Bristol Lounge inside the Four Seasons pre-theatre. Right down the street from the Colonial, varied menu including burgers, and a "special occasion" feel. Although it is bistro style, they do accept (and you would need) reservations.
Since you are vacationing in-town, I'm guessing you won't have a car. But if you do, the 4S has valet parking which is most convenient - especially if you are two women or have trouble walking long distance. Just let them know will be back after the show to pick up the car(not overnight, and not right after dinner).
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm printing them off and checking them out on the net. Leaning toward Le Troquet, great reviews!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM

lweissman - aren't those profiteroles as Brasserie Jo the best? They're huge - another to feed 3 with all the chocolate sauce you can handle. Yummy!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Agree that the Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons is a great spot---I have taken my niece there for lunch on special occasions since she was 17 or so---the first time she looked around and said "this is a very NICE place!"

New and very convenient to the Colonial is Teatro on Tremont St---haven't eaten there yet but it has gotten great reviews.

Cottonwood Cafe is good if you like sort of southwest/texmex. On Newbury St, Ciao Bella is very good. Enjoy your weekend.