Search

Dining in Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Richard

Dining in Santa Fe

We are going to Santa Fe within the month. We enjoy great dining experiences (who doesn't), but we plan to be casual on this trip. We will have a car so places in or out of town are possibilities. If the food is good, we don't care if the place is a hole-in-the-wall or one with great views/atmosphere. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:03 AM
paul

Atomic Cafe - best ish tacos
Pasquales - anything (next door to Atomic)
India Palace - outstanding food from India.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Gary

Guadalupe Cafe.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Joe

Try the SantaCafe

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:28 AM
J T Kirk

Paul's
SantaCafe
Plaza Cafe

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Mari

We love Santa Fe!

Try Ristra - great mussels and other fabulous food selections. Also La Casa Sena - go here at night and eat outdoors. There is also an indoor place to dine and a cantina type restaurant in the same area. Neither one is inexpensive, but would be great for a special lunch or dinner.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:08 AM
noname

We loved a restaurant called Bistro 315. Wonderful, intimate atmosphere and fabulous food. Great wine list. Not slick or glitzy but fine dining. Highly recommend it.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:24 AM
lisa

Was there in January.
Top two favorites: Café Pasqual's (the best chicken mole enchiladas ever, also delicious pinon ice cream, great bread), and Geronimo (the best pork tenderloin I've ever had, with mustard glaze, in a cherry sauce) -- if you go at lunch you get the same amazing food that they serve at dinner but at more reasonable prices -- and it makes a great lunch stop for a break during gallery-crawling. Both of these are in the moderate to expensive range.

Also liked Ore House on the Plaza (had a lovely New Year's Eve dinner of spinach salad with feta, jumbo prawns with garlic mashed potatoes, and chocolate mousse), Paul's (terrific crispy wontons filled with duck, and yummy stuffed pumpkin bread that was an unusual combination of sweet and savory), the Shed which had lovely atmosphere (cozy fireplaces) & excellent food (loved the chicken enchiladas verde with posole) at extremely reasonable prices (most entrees were $7-10). Good service too.

To a lesser extent, also enjoyed the Cowgirl Café (good smoked chicken & duck quesadillas, great margaritas) & Atomic Café (delicious fish tacos).

If you get up to Taos, I recommend brunch/lunch at Doc Martin's (great chiles rellenos, also good huevos rancheros).

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
gab

Cafe Pasquale's was by far the best place we tried there.

I was really disappointed in Coyote Cafe, despite the fact that I am friends with the person who was the pastry chef at the time I visited it.

Geronimo's is good, but not quite worthy of the prices.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:38 PM
David

Richard,

Yet another vote for Pasqual's: Very casual but with great food (fabulous for breakfast!). We also love doing appetizers in the bar of The Inn of The anasazi (lobster nachos, chile rubbed quail, etc.). If you enjoy Spanish cuisine, I would recommend El Farol up the canyon road. Good Paella, good tapas and great Flamenco. For authentic sothwestern food we enjoy lunch at Nellie's (Inn at Loretto) or Corn Dance (Hotel Santa Fe).

Have fun!

Davidcs

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Cathy

Fine dining: Geronimos is the best. Inn of the the Anasazi #2.

Fun dining: Coyote Cafe, but eat at the chef's bar. It's amazing entertainment!

Best local joints: Plaza Diner and Tia Sophia's.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago. The manager of Geronimo's recommended Ristra so we went there on Saturday night. Worst meal we've ever had! Service was terrible - got there at 7 and were out by 7:35. Apps came within 3 minutes, we put down our forks and our entrees arrived. Felt like we had gone through a drive-through. Went somewhere else for dessert & after dinner drinks since they obviously don't want you hanging around there.
BTW, Geronimo's was FABULOUS - would highly recommend it - definitely worth the price. Doc Martins in Taos was fab too!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second the suggestion for Doc Martin's in Taos, if you get up there. Recently had a greatl meal there. Also, for lunch, Cafe Renato, almost next door to Doc Martin's, was excellent.