BeachGirl247 - Help!

Search

BeachGirl247 - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeachGirl247 - Help!

Beachgirl247 - On another thread about Santa Fe, I was discussing the Coyote Grill, and you responded that Eric was great, but not so Coyote. We were looking forward to trying it again, looking forward to the new chef, but would like to know what you meant by your critique. With Eric at the helm, I don't understand the concern, yet I don't want to spend the money and the evening if we won't be pleased.

Awaiting your response - Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM

I lived in Colorado and visited Santa Fe many timess every year. We only ate at the Coyote Restaurants twice. They are part of the tourist itinerary. Locals will send you to Santa Cafe - $$$ but the two of the best meals I've ever had.
Santacafe
231 Washington Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-1788

www.santacafe.com
A local favorite, this restaurant is a noted for its inventive and sophisticated regional cuisine. Set in an 18th century adobe compound with a minimalist interior and a beautiful zen courtyard.
Also high end but excellent:
Geronimo
724 Canyon Road
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-982-1500

www.geronimorestaurant.com

Geronimo recently snagged one of Santa Fe's favorite chefs, Martin Rios. Known for Southwestern dishes with Asian overtones, Rios has developed a variety of signature dishes with original sauces emphasizing local, seasonal ingredients.

Great misic and food:
Favorite Piano Bar
Vanessie of Santa Fe
434 West San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-982-9966

www.vanessiesantafe.com

Vanessie is another local favorite because of its sociable but relaxing atmosphere, top quality musicians, and tasty bar food every night of the week.

Local Faves and cheap:
(I ALWAYS ate beakfast at Pasquals)
Cafe Pasqual's
121 Don Gaspar
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-983-9340

www.pasquals.com

Named for the patron saint of Hispanic cooks and kitchens, Pasqual's offers a free-wheeling mix of Old and New Mexico with an emphasis on local, organic ingredients. They even make their own sausage and chorizo for their hearty brunch dishes. Despite of our vote as a Sunday morning hang-out, dinner at Pasqual's is even more unusual and inventive with fresh takes on meat, seafood and traditional Southwestern dishes.

and of course:
Tomasita's
500 South Guadalupe
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-983-5721
Enjoy magical Santa Fe. - k

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Trendster - Thank you so much for your kind suggestions. We are familiar with several of the restaurants that you had suggestioned, i.e. SantaCafe, Geronimo, Tomasita's and Pasqual's, as this will be our 4th trip, and dining is a LARGE part of our visit. All of the aforementioned establishments are outstanding! We enjoy everything from The Shed to The Compound and everything in between. I have discussed some of these on another thread.

While I feel that Coyote Grill is a must "tourist" stop, we have always enjoyed dining there, as well as in the Cantina. Since Eric (I could shoot myself now as his last name escapes me) left Geronimo and is now the owner of Coyote Grill, I was sure that it would be a must for our next trip. However, "Beachgirl" made me wonder if we should be going from her remark about the restautant, and I was just inquiring as to what she was referring so that she can clarify things for me. I hope she reads this thread.

As for Vanessie of SF, sounds like we should be giving it a go. It will be new for us. Thanks -
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM

While this isn't exactly on your OP, here are some Santa Fe restaurant ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

Deb
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

DebitNM - I read your report a couple of days ago on the other thread, and I'm MOST anxious to try the Chocolate Maven. Their menus looks very interesting and yummmmmmmy!!! We'll have to do some major walking after eating there, as the pastries sound killer. We will also check out La Choza as we are fans of The Shed.

Thanks so much -
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Hi Pam, sorry I've been away from the boards since they changed the format.

My concern with dining at Coyote Cafe with Eric DiStefano at the helm is that, at the time of our visit, wasn't a great all-around dining experience as we have had and continue to have at Geronimo. Food was ok, not great. Service was a D and probably should rate lower since our waiter didn't tend to us very well and argued with us about wine. Argued. We wanted to get up and leave. But you can get bad service anywhere.

Aside from the crappy attitude from our waiter the food didn't measure up to my expectations. The couple next to us at the chef's bar agreed on their meal as well. Good but thought it would be a lot better.

If I had to pick one night and $-for$, I would have to choose Geronimo. That's just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

BeachGirl247 - Thanks for your "2-cents"!! We have eaten lunch at Geronimo, and enjoyed a lovely meal. So, next we try dinner. We don't mind splurging on meals, but not for poor service, attitude and disappointing food. Hopefully, things will change for them.