Santa Fe restaurants

Search

Santa Fe restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe restaurants

We are first timers to Santa Fe. Looking for recommendations. Has anyone dined at Paul's recently? We are also interested in the Coyote
Cantina. Can you eat outdoors on the roof there? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks, RB
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM

rainbro,

Hopefully you will get some feedback from someone who has dined at these places more recently. However, in the meantime, here's my take.

While I have not been to Paul's for about 1&1/2 years, I have always found it to be a consistently good place. Besides, locals still seem to frequent it--which is always a positive sign.

As for Coyote Cafe (assuming you were referring to Mark Miller's place)the answer is, "yes", you can eat on the roof. I don't know how the food is there these days and, since I haven't eaten there for years, I will refrain from commenting.

Here, in no particular order, are some other favorites:
1. Pasqual's -- Small with wild decorations and great food. Breakfast here is a must--to check it out. Come back for dinner to try something elegant.
2. Geronimo's -- One of the finest restaurants in Santa Fe...period.
3. El Farrol -- Fun for tapas and music. Very casual.
4. The Old House -- Elegant, four-star dining in the Hotel Eldorado. Wonderful game meat selections.
5. Los Mayas Restaurant -- Simply excellent, authentic Mexican and South American dishes. Personal favorite.
6. Inn of The Anasazi -- Great dining room for dinner or wonderful bar for noshing on such appetizers as lobster nachos.

Been trying to eat my way through Santa Fe for years. Have fun trying!

AL
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM

My husband and I do an art show in Santa Fe every year over Father's Day weekend and the one restaurant we always go to is Paul's. We love it! Great food, service and ambience.
We like going to the Coyote Cantina for a beer and appetizers only. Have fun!
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

thank you ver much for the prompt replies as I will be in Santa Fe this coming weekend (5/21).
I appreciate the vote of confidence for Paul's & the other recommendations. ciao, RB
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
bwg

I'd appreciate some updates on restaurants in Santa fe. we will be there mid May --which ones have outside dining --will patios be open then?
Any suggestions for local, high quality, can not miss places to go!
Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who loves Maria's New Mexican Kitchen, but I just love that place. Blue corn chicken tacos and a margarita. Heaven. It's always crowded with locals when I'm there, which always seems like a good thing. Anybody agree with me? Disagree?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM

It is a good sign when locals eat at a place! My husband and I are going in Mid May. We like to eat early, about 5:30. Are the rrestaurants usually busy this early? We always miss the crowds here in Omaha by about an hour. And sfamylou, I will definitely be trying Maria's based on some of your other posts, I am a sucker for a good margarita!

Thanks!
Bella
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM

The Coyote Cafe is seriously overrated and expensive in my opinion. I went there twice and both times was not all that impressed.

Here's my favorites:

El Farol - On Canyon Road - great place for Tapas, sangria, and if you go on the right night, Flamenco dancing. (It can get a little crazy in the bar area.) The food is excellent!

La Choza - it's in a neighborhood behind the Guadalupe area (next to a homeless shelter if I remember correctly) and they have the coolest patio area. It's all fenced in, dimly lit, with trees growing right in the middle of it. The food is really good, as are the drinks. Fabulous sopapillas too.

Blue Corn Cafe on the Plaza has a small patio that's fun to people watch from. The food is good too.

Tomasita's Bar area is a great place to meet some regular locals. The restaurant part is very touristy, but the food is really good.

Harry's Roadhouse - south of town, near 1-25 is a fun hangout too with really good food, and a nice patio.

The Pink Adobe Dragon Room (the bar side) has a fun atmosphere too, and excellent food.

And Gabriel's north of town has great food and beautiful views from the patio. They make fresh guacamole at your table and it's wonderful!

There's SO many good restaurants in town, it's really hard to choose sometimes. And Al - I've been trying to eat my way through too... Still working on it!

heidi
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
annieladd

Our favorites are:

Geronimos- for fine dining

El Shed- for great New Mexican

Gabriel's- great guac.

Hacienda Chimayo- lovely surroundings and delicious New Mexican cuisine.

Santacafe- quite good fine dining.

315 Bistro- been a long time since we've been there, but it was great, and still gets wonderful reviews.

Enjoy, annieladd

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I second the recommendation for Harry's Roadhouse (on the Old Las Vegas Hwy, parallel to I-25). It has patio seating.

Cowgirl Hall of Fame has outdoor seating - I loved the ice cream baked potato.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Harry's Roadside is a must each trip for good, down-to-earth food and great baked goods.

Pink Adobe (I prefer the non-bar side) has a Steak Dunnigan (w/green chiles) to die for.

If you are a brunch fan...make reservations for Sunday Champagne Brunch at El Dorado Hotel...pricey, but the best we've have ever had! You won't be able to eat another meal that day.

My family's favorite for is Pasquals...if I remember right, they only serve sopapillas at breakfast so my sisers go as late as they can, order sopapillas and THEN have lunch.

Ate at the Coyote Cantina years ago and it wasn't to my liking but it's been a long time ago.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:01 AM

Two words: Aqua Santa. Chef Brian Knox (who had Cafe Escalera for years) cooks amazing seasonal food in a wonderful, intimate space with an open kitchen for you to watch all the culinary orchestrations. This is the place to feel like a welcomed local, even if you're from Peoria. Buon appetito! mmmmmmmm
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Feralwoman: Where is Aqua Santa? Heading out on Wednesday the 17th for 5 days. YIPPEE!

Also, heard of Paul's but someone remind me where it's located, please.

sfamylou: I, too, am eating my way through Santa Fe. We love the blue corn chicken enchiladas at Maria's. And their margaritas are delicious, too!

Beachgirl

Old May 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Another vote for Marias...I like the taco plate and a 100 percent agave margarita -- costs about a buck more than the regular house marg and is sooo good.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM

We go to the Coyote Cantina everytime we are in Santa Fe, just went last summer. The appetizers are good and it is more fun for the ambience and looking out the balcony than the food.
We also like Harry's Roadhouse, The Ore House, especially the balcony, La Casa Sena, Vannessies for the piano bar, and the Cowgirl for more of a rowdy time. Los Mayas was very good too. You could never run out of places to go in Santa Fe and there are restaurants for all moods whether you want to be casual or go to a more upscale place like Geronimos, etc.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Here in Santa Fe now. There is a new sister restaurant to Bistro 315 that is in the train yard by Tomasita's. It was PACKED last night so we we'll try again in the next day or two.

I'll let you know how it is! Ahh, green chilies and margaritas!! I'm in heaven.........
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the brief report Beachgirl I'm waiting for more, since we're headed there this fall. "Ahh, green chilies and margaritas!!" And it appears we think alike. Have fun.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM
annieladd

Beachgirl, did you try the sister restaurant to Bistro 315? What's it named? Was it good???? annieladd

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Hey Annieladd,

Didn't eat there. Ran out of time as we have to eat at our favorites first THEN hit the new ones! Locals said it was "ok" so not sure.

Anyone else know the name? Its a steakhouse type place, I believe.

Beachgirl (who really needs her chili fix)
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Psssst...in NM it is chilE with an "E" [chili is what they have in TX with meat and beans]. Just thought you would want to know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -