Detroit in February?

Dec 27th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Detroit in February?

I may be going to Detroit 2/18-2/21. What is the weather like then? I don't mind cold weather, but I do not want to drive in the snow.

Thanks!
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:50 AM

If you don't want to drive in the snow, I would suggest you don't come to Michigan in February! You may luck out, but chances are good you will run into some snowfall. Our last recent storm was a doozy - our area got 10". On the plus side, snow removal is generally really efficient.

Would you be flying in? I wouldn't want to drive up from Ohio or drive in from Chicago or Toronto in the winter. I have been caught in nightmarish conditions more than once doing those drives in the winter.
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM

I agree with Maggi. I am born and raised in Detroit. If you don't want to drive in the snow, you should avoid Detroit in February. There is absolutely no way to predict, but the odds are very good that we will have snow in February. It can be bitterly cold and just plain miserable. As Maggi said, we just had a doozy of a storm (as did most of the Midwest).

Dec 29th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I must disagree with the other posters here. Yes, there is an elevated chance that there will be snow on the ground in late February in Detroit, but chances for snow then are far less than in Michigan's Northern reaches. Further, unless you happen to be caught driving in an actual late February snow storm, the roads are remarkably well plowed, salted and dry at all times in all areas of metropolitan Detroit (with the possible exception of residential neighborhoods). My completly unscientific estimate that you'll be caught driving on difficult to navigate snowy roads is probably 1 in 100....
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Must be a business trip. Suggest flying in, taking a cab, doing your business, and getting out of there. Detroit with its desolate & devastated downtown area is best avoided any time of the year.
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:14 AM

When were you last there, Shea? I have been hearing that a lot of possitive things have been happening in Detroit lately.

Keith
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:50 AM

They are in the process of tearing down many downtown buildings, ripping up sideways, & streets. Some that were still standing were colored with gang markings & the streets untouched by the massive revovation were generally littered & had an unfriendly tone to them. The football & baseball stadiums appeared to be nice amongst a depressed neigborhood. Understand this reconstruction is for the 2006 Super Bowl which Detroit is hosting but from what I saw I wonder if it will again fall into disrepair in short order. We were there this last September. We didn't stay long, at most a couple of hours. Planned to stay longer but didn't feel comfortable in this town. I admit there are probably attracive areas in Detroit but the downtown area where business & fun are generated simply didn't impress this couple.
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Sorry, Shea that you weren't impressed. I wish you could have given the city more than two hours. That hardly qualifies you as an expert. The Detroit metro area is a lot more than just downtown. Enjoylife, if you do come feel free to email me for suggestions.