Search

NYC itinerary suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC itinerary suggestions

Hello,
We are headed for NYC Jan 6-9, there will be 4 of us, 2 couples in our mid-20s. We have some ideas in mind of what we want to include but we wanted some expert input on how to time everything to make the most of our time. We arrive mid-day on thursday and will go to our hotel first and then we will be ready for lunch and sight-seeing. Here are the things we probably want to include: Statue of LIberty/Ellis island and since we're immigrants ourselves we will probably want a little extra time there, Empire state bldg (should we get tickets in advance? how long should we allow there?), possibly a city tour where you hop on and off the bus, Met. Museum, Museum of natural history, Wall St, possibly a broadway show if we can get last min cheap tickets. We are staying in the Holiday Inn on 57th. Any suggestions about how to structure this weekend would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:37 AM
GoTravel

Suggestions:

Grayline Tour Bus: If you've never been to NYC before, do this but bundle up. You sit outside and the weather could be foul. Get the ALL Loup Tour 48 hour pass. It is around $50 and the best deal.

Statue of Liberty: Do the Staten Island Ferry instead of the Ellis Island thing. Even if you are there at dawn, you'll still spend hours in line. The Staten Island Ferry is free and has the very best view of the Statue of Liberty, lower Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Go at dusk. It is the prettiest view of Manhattan. Take the subway (any) to City Hall, walk down through Wall Street, NYSE, Battery Park (view the globe from the World Trade Towers Plaza) to the Ferry Terminal.

Empire State Building: Shortest lines from 5PM-8PM when everyone else is at dinner or getting ready.

Metropolitan Museum of Art: Encyclopedic Museum spanning 5,000 years. It even has its own Egyptian dig as a permenant display The Temple of Dendur. Pick two things in the museum and enjoy just those two. Anything more and you'll be babbling like an idiot. It is the largest museum in the Western Hemisphere.

Museum Lite: The Frick.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM

If you do a search above I think you'll find numerous threads with specific recos.

You are visiting at one of the least crowded times of year - but still reco that you get advance reservations when possible - why waste time standing online unnecessarily?

I think you may be understimating how extensive some of these places are. For instance, you can easily spend 2/3 days at the Met alone. to make the most of your trip suggest you have a look at the web site to determine which sections you most want to see. Suggest no more than 3 or 4 before you go into museum overload. And you may want to split up based on specific likes/dislikes.

I love the Museum of Natural Hist - but again - have an idea in advance of what you want to see/do (gens, human evolution, specific cultures?) - and check out on the web site what IMAX movie(s) you may want to see.

I'm not in favor of those bus tours - but I know a lot of tourists seem to like them. IMHO you're better off seing things via your own feet rather than riding in a bus (most probably too cold to sit outside) and listen to a half-understandable canned spiel.

What shows are you looking for? I'm sure others can let you know if they're available at TKTS - or if you would be better off searching for on-line discounts.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM
GoTravel

nytraveler, as a New Yorker, you don't understand how overwhelming Manhattan Island can be for someone who's never been there before. The Grayline Tour gives a first time visitor an overview of Manhattan and also geographic orientation to know where they are and how to get around so they can sightsee. Standing in Midtown Manhattan that first time visitor will have no idea what is north, south, east, or west and they are going to have a hard time trying to use a map or sightsee when they are having a hard time finding what they are looking for.

As someone who has spent weeks at a time working there, I didn't take my first Grayline Tour bus ride until about 4 years ago while I was showing my inlaws the city. Seeing how much it helped them helped me realize how valuable it can be.

Also, the best way around Manhattan is by subway which is underground on most of the island. You can't see anything on the subway.

Just my opinion.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM

And yet a third point of view. If you are immigrants and can get a reservation for an observatory tour at the Statue of Liberty (go to their website and apply) I would go. If not, take the SOL ferry and head to Ellis Island. If you weren't immigrants yourselves, I'd agree with GoTravel on just passing the SOL by in the SI ferry, but Ellis Island and the tour are worth it. You might also like the Tenement Museum tour which can also be reserved online. I agree that while that will be a slow time in NYC, why not order things ahead online. No downside. Get your tickets for Empire State online and then decide when you feel like going.

I also think the hop on/off tour can be a good way of seeing a lot and getting an overview. There's also a 2 day city pass you might consider that may include the Mus. of Nat. Hist, the Empire State and other things. Check it out first before buying anything separately. It won't include the obs. tour of the Statue though.

I would suggest doing the hop on/off tour first (or getting the 2 day pass). Plot things out on a map. Here's a subway map
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

The downtown things are SOL/Ellis Island, Tenement museum.

Midtown= Empire State, theater

The 2 museums you mentioned are both uptown, one west side (Nat. Hist) one east side (Met). Don't do both on the same day. Mus. overload. Both museums are open late on Fri/Sat nights so keep that in mind.

You can get discount tickets AHEAD of time w/o standing on line. Look on broadwaybox.com for discount codes that can be used online or by phone. Not quiet as cheap as TKTS but better use of your time and perhaps better seats.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:24 AM

BTW, MOMA has just reopened after a 2 year renovation. It's midtown.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Hi,

We just got back from a great trip to New York, and I've already started planning the next one....

We did the Statue of Liberty/Ellis island tour and found it really moving (even though neither of our ancestors came thru Ellis Island). Plan to spend the better part of the day here. We pre-purchased online the tickets for the 8:45am Circle Line Tour. We arrived 30 minutes before and had no problems making the 1st ferry. The last ferry back to New York (at least on 12/24 - maybe it's later for non-holiday days) left Ellis Island at 3:00pm. If you did this, you'd then have time to walk around Wall Street, Battery Park, etc.

Taking the Staten Island ferry at dusk sounds great, too,though. Must be beautiful....

Definitely purchase tickets for the Empire State Building ahead of time...we saved at least 1 hour (maybe more??) by doing this. You will get to bypass the line that forms outside and go directly inside. We arrived in the a.m. before the building opened and were actually the first group to go up in the elevators. It was nice to have a bit of time there with just 6 or 7 people before it started to get crowded. This tour is also one that would be beautiful at night....we just couldn't fit it in into our itinerary at night...

Differrent strokes/different folks...but I prefer walking to doing the bus tours as well....NY is a great place to meander......get a great map and just go...
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:33 AM

GoTravel -

Perhaps this is a "map" thing. I know the first thing I do when planning on visiting any city is get a good street map and locate everything I'm interested in. So have not had any problems no matter where I've visited - just heading out on foot or public transport. But, perhaps you're right - and It's because I'm used to a big city - and I grant there are differences between that and the suburban mall/sprawl thing. (And yes, perhaps as some of my friends have suggested - this is a control issue - but after, all why let someone else lead me astray - when I can do it so much better myself.)

(I did do one of these city bus tours the first time I went to rome - and IMHO just a huge waste of time - you're always jumping off and walking back to what you want to see- and the "patter" is on about a 5th grade level - right out of the first two sentences in the guidebook on any sight.)
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM
GoTravel

Aha! Now the truth comes out nytraveler! Control freak! All kidding aside, one of the big differences is the huge number of skyscrapers in Manhattan blocking your view making it difficult to orient yourself.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM
GoTravel

Let me also add in any other city outside NYC I would agree that the Double Decker Tour Bus might not be the best idea.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sounds like you've already got your itinerary planned out, but my fiance and I love to go skating in Central Park (if you're up for something like that). It's crowded on weekends, but we go after work and it's great. You can rent skates there.

The rink's called Wollman Rink. They've got a website with all the details.

I agree with someone's suggestion of the Frick - great museum and not overwhelmingly huge. My favorite in NYC.

Not much to see on Wall Street...and the area is pretty quiet on weekends and at night, so do that during the day.

I've never spent more than 1/2 hour at the top of the Empire State Building (have taken visitors up there numerous times). Once you're up there, there's not all that much to do.

Have a fabulous trip!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your quick replies.
Two of our 4 people are hard to get moving if you know what i mean, so I am thinking that the double decker bus will be an easy way to organize us and force us/them to get out there. Also, one suggestion was to see the ESB between 5-8pm while people are eating and getting ready to go out, but I looked up the sunset and its about 4:45pm, so I want to make sure the night view from the ESB is just as good or better than during the day?? As for museums, we will definitely be deciding ahead of time what we want to see so we don't get overwhelmed. I notice that the museum of nat. history is across from central park - what would be the best way to work that in? Finally one other question, I forgot to mention that we have also discussed working in rockefeller center and radio city - what do you all think of that? Does anyone know when the tree will be taken down?
Thank you again!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 03:08 PM

The tree comes down immediately after New Years. Youcan still stroll rock Center if you want - but won;t be much holiday stoff to see.

The Met is actually in Central Park (on Fifth Ave from 80 to 85th). The Nat'l History Museum is directly across the park on the West Side (Central Park West) just a couple of blocks south (77th/81st). You can walk across in 10 minutes or so- but the paths are kind of winding - or you can take the 79th St crosstown bus through the transverse.

Agree that Wall St is pretty quiet - and now that you can;t tour the Stock Exchange any longer not so much to see.

The newly reopened MoMA is also a great hit - if modern art is your thing - but I would reco getting tickets in advance - since the lines have been very long.

A lot will depend on how cold the weather is - we don;t have predictions yet for those dates - and you could have highs in the 40's - or in the 20's. - obviously affecting how much time you will want to spend outdoors.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:09 AM
GoTravel

I think the tree comes down on January 6th. Anyone know for sure?

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Looks like the tree comes down January 3rd -

http://www.nyc.com/list.aspx?e=attractionID&s=705&v=174
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM

I would be most interested in your impressions of the Holiday Inn on 57th once you return (especially it's location, cleanliness, and general wear and tear on the room). It is one of the places I am considering for a trip to NYC in 2006 because I have club points for free nights.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM

The 48 hour tour is a very good deal because you can ride unlimited times and pick up the busses anywhere along the way. Dress warmly and sit inside on the bus. Pick the Statue for the warmest day that you have the pass
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM
GoTravel

If you sit inside the bus, you will not be able to see anything.