Reload this Page >

Dessert in Manhattan

Search

Dessert in Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 08:34 AM
cam

Dessert in Manhattan

After lunch and an afternoon at the museum, we'd like to go to a cafe that specializes in desserts. Please recommend a place with fabulous desserts, atmosphere, and service. Any neighborhood will do.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 10:40 AM
x

Serendipity.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Ken

La Lanterna on MacDougal

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:17 PM
sweetie

Rumplemeyers?

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Andre

Cam,

If you're visiting a museum on Museum Row (5th Ave.), there are three excellent choices:
- Café Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie with a great "Kafeehaus" decor and delicious viennese pastries (think strudel)
www.neuegalerie.org

- The Stanhope hotel right across from the Metropolitan does a great English tea, served in a series of nice small lounges

- E.A.T. on Madison Ave, which has yummy classic desserts (great marble cake).

Hope this helps,
Andre

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Ted

Alas, the famous Rumplemeyer's is no longer open, so it is not an option unfortunately.

Serendipity on East 60th Street is a good choice. Also Ferrara in Little Italy on Mulberry Street. But there are literally hundreds of great spots, so a neighborhood would be great to help narrow down your options.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Owen O'Neill

I agree with Ken on La Lanterna for atmosphere. I'm less enthused about the level of service and the quality of the desserts. It's good but not outstanding (my impression is that you're looking or a place that's far above average). You might check Cafe Mozart - I don't know if they're still good but they were exceptional when I tried them many years ago. Of more current interest as a possibility is Otto - Mario Batali's new place. It's scheduled to open on January 8 at Madison and Fifth Ave. The focus will be upscale pizzas but advance publicity indicates that is also slated to be a dessert destination. The opening has been delayed several times already - the Jan 8th date may still not be certain.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 11:28 AM
m

uhmmm- madison & fifth Avenue? No. They run parrallel to each other. Otto is going into the space at One Fifth Avenue, which is at Fifth avenue and eighth Street, and is as every discerning NY'er knows, a cursed restaurant location as it's seen at least 5 incarnations in the last decade. But maybe mario can break the curse.
As for desserts - Payard, hands down at Lexington and 73rd St. incredible french pastries in the crowded front room, very nice bistro inthe back & upstairs. Cafe Sbarsky is winning raves - but very tough to get into. Sarabeths in the cheksea Market and on the upper east side @ Madison & 93rd St., in the Whitney & west side at AmesterdaM & 80th; The front of the Gramercy Tavern - I could go on. . .

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:39 PM
More&more

Dear m

Please continue to go on and on...

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Owen O'Neill

I must have had a brain freeze.... I'm not a discerning New Yorker but even I know that Madison and Fifth run parallel (when I stop to think about it). It won't surprise me of Mario breaks the location curse. Despite mixed reviews of Babbo, it continues ot thrive and remains difficult to get into with anything but much advance planning.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Flynn

Hands down my choice would be Payard Patisserie at 73rd St. & Lexington Ave. Payard used to be the top pastry chef I believe at Le Cirque and then at Daniel Boulud. Pastries are just as good as what you'd have in France.

As other posters have mentioned, Serendipity has really good desserts with a cute atmosphere. Cafe Sabarsky for Viennese.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Jeremy

If you're in the meatpacking district, which may sound horrible except that it's become quite chic, visit one of the finest bakeries in New York:

Patisserie J Lanciani
414 West 14th Street
(212) 989-1213

They used to have a cafe in the West Village, but it closed several years ago. This is a small storefront retail operation, but know that they serve some of the best restaurants in the city.

Amy's on Nineth Avenue and 46th Street. Known for her bread, her small cafe also serves amazing brownies, cupcakes and cakes. Everything is freshly baked and the selection varies day-to-day. They also have a cafe in Chelsea Market.

Also try Sullivan Street Bakery in Soho.
73 Sullivan Street
(212) 334-9435

Happy eating!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Marj

Veniero's in the E. VIllage. (11th st & 1st av). It's also a bakery and they supply many other cafes and restaurants. There are also many great places for lunch or dinner in the area and very reasonable.