Single woman visiting NYC

Jun 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Single woman visiting NYC

I will be visiting NYC for a week the beginning of October. Besides shopping or a Broadway matinee, what would be interesting to do for a woman in her 50's who is traveling alone? I have been to the major museums and tourist sites already and am looking for some not as well-known sites to visit.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM
QC

It might be helpful if you could provide a shortlist of the "must-miss" sites. What you consider a major site may not be what other people consider a major site.

Some more offbeat things I can suggest:

-Brooklyn Museum: In any other city, this would be the TOP museum. Recently renovated, it has exceptional Impressionist and Egyptian collections. Also located adjacent to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, also worth a trip.

-The Cloisters: Part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, it is a Medival Cloister located in Upper Manhattan. Lots of great Medieval art.

-City Island: Part of the Bronx, looks and feels like a coastal New England town. Lots of great Seafood restaurants.

-Shea Stadium/Flushing Meadows Park: Everyone sees the Yankees, why not see the Mets, then follow up with a tour of the former grounds of the 1964 and 1939 Worlds Fairs and home of the U.S. Open. The Queens Museum has the Panorama of the City of New York, the world's largest scale model. It's a model of every single building in the city. Very impressive. The Lemon Ice King of Corona is also walking distance, get some fresh-made Italian ices with real fruit!

-Coney Island: Not many places where you can take the Subway to the beach. This is one of them.

-Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace: An interesting slice of American history and the home of the only President from NYC.

-Ziegfield Theater: See a movie at this HUGE 2,000 seat classic single-screen theater with a real balcony and roving popcorn sellers.

Jun 9th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Friend,

If you have been to all the major tourist sites and museums, you probably have been here a few times, that being said. Depending on what kind of autumn we have I would suggest the following....

1) Prospect Park in Brooklyn and the Gardens there
2) Harlem (i'm going to assume you haven't really spent too much time there since most travelers just take one of those buses through it)
3)Sag Harbor in Staten Island
4)a tour of churches in Brooklyn (Brooklyn has the most churches per capita of any place in the world)
5)some of the neighborhoods in Queens with strong ethnic ties (Astoria/Greece-Jackson Ave./India
6)Morningside park on the upper east side of manhattan
7)there is a restaurant on an all-glass boat that leaves form Chelsea Piers called the Bateau NY. It's a price-fixe dinner, 3 courses, with great views, food, and dancing. On the right night it can be pretty intimate and quiet, just call ahead and reserve for a night when there is no large party being held. It has great views of the Statue of Liberty and southern manhattan.

Hope this was somewhat helpful, have a great trip.

Jun 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM

It's true, hard to know what your definition of "major" is. Even if you've been to the Metropolitan museum 100 times, you haven't seen it all nor have you seen the special exhibits.

Near there is the Neue Museum on 86th & Fifth (Austrian art & a lovely cafe for lunch or coffee). Also up that way is the Cooper Hewitt design museum and the Guggenheim not to mention the Museum ofthe city of NY. Speaking of all these museums, I believe Oct. may be when they do a museum night along museum mile. Check nyvisit.com calendar of events for things that might be going on while you're here. And then there's the FRICK on 70th & Fifth. What about Asia Society on 70 & Park?

The Tenement museum and a visit to Ellis Island are popular. For soem more ideas, do a text search here for NY off the beaten path. There are a number of previous posts on this subject. If you have specific interests, post back.
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Sorry, that calendar is here

http://www.nycvisit.com/calendar/eve...cfm?pagePkey=9
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM

i doubt it'd be of much interest to anyone outside of ny (unless you have a transportation fetish), but one of my favorite non-traditional museums in nyc is the transit museum in brooklyn, which is actually housed in a defunt subway station.

the best part for me is downstairs on the platform where they have all the old cars, complete with advertisements.
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:19 AM

How about a gallery day - they always have interesting new things to see and you can spend as much or as little time as you like in each.