Denver restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I will be spending a few days in Denver next week for work and I am looking for restaurant recommendations. I will be staying and working near I-25 and Arapahoe and am looking for casual places reasonably close by. I am open to basically any type of cuisine except Japanese.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
b_in_d

Unfortunately, I-25 and Arapahoe is primarily "fast food alley." There is a New York style pizza place called Anthony's that's close and I really like the pizza. Thin and by the slice. Then Pat's Cheesesteak is close and good.

If you go North to Belleview there is a place called Deli Tech that claims to get it's meat from the Carnegie Deli in NYC. I like it. Near there is an Il Forniao italian place that's good and a place called Cool River that gets raves more as a place to be seen than the food. But they're all near I-25 and Belleview, a couple miles north of Arapahoe. Also Burbon Street on Belleview and Yosemite is pretty good.

I know a good Chinese place not far from where you're at, if that's not included in the Japanese exception and a really good BBQ joint, that is better for take out. If you're interested.

After that your best bets are either to go South to around the Park Meadows Mall area or North to Cherry Creek.

I hope you have fun!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:36 PM

You might want to check out Pesce Fresco. It is close to I-25 and Arapahoe, just west on Arapahoe & north on Quebec in the Safeway center. The website is www.pescefrescobistro.com in case you want to check out the menu or get better directions. I also like Brother's BBQ at I-25 & Arapahoe (east of the highway). Hope these two non-chain recommendations help.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations.

BBQ is always high on my list, as is Chinese (which definitely doesn't fall under the category of Japanese )

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
b_in_d

I had completely forgotten until I drove through the area on the way home, so I'll add a couple more.

For mexican, 3 Margaritas is near 25 and Arapahoe. Garcias near 25 and Belleview. My preference is Garcias but it's been a while.

Brother's is good BBQ, but I like a place called Winston Hills at Arapahoe and just a bit past Holly in a strip mall. Not crazy about the sauce but the meat is fantastic. But they have 2 small tables, so it's better for take out. In the same strip mall is Jade Garden the chinese place I mentioned.

For sushi, Sushi Wave near 25 and Arapahoe. There used to be a good Vietmamese place south of Arapahoe on Yosemite called T-Wa, but I see they changed their name so I can't vouch for them now.

For slightly more upscale, there is a Morton's steakhouse at Belleview and DTC Blvd, a Brooks Steakhouse a block north of Arapahoe on Yosemite and a Del Frisco's at 25 and Orchard. All very nice steak places. Of the 3 I like Brooks better. Not The Palm, but close.

Pesce Fresco I've seen before but have never gone. It's now on the list.

If you get a chance pick up a copy of the free newspaper WestWord, which should have a lot more information for food.

HTH!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:04 PM

If you go north to I-25 & Bellevue, exit right and turn right. There will be an Original Pancake House on the right after just a little ways. They're only open from 6am to 2pm but it is very clean and my husband loves the puffy apple pancake.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
b_in_d

Sorry to hijack. AJ is the Pancake House very busy on weekends? Early Sunday for example.

Thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM

We were there this last Sunday around 10AM and there were 10 in our party. It took about 45 minutes to get a table. I don't how long the wait was for smaller parties.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:37 AM

Yes, the Pancake House is very crowded on week-ends. Husband takes the grands for chocolate chip cakes when we visit. The pancakes are terrific.
There is a Pappadeaux just off I25 at Arapahoe (I think) it is just past the exit so you have to turn left after getting off the highway.
At Orchard and Holly there is a small shopping center--has a Pantera Bread shop. But there is a very nice Italian restaurant there called Ventura Grill.
There's a Chevy's for Mexican at Arapahoe (again, I think), and there is a Vietnamese lunch place in the shopping center.
Macaroni Grill is in the area.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:30 AM

Definitely check out Pappadeaux - cajun/creole - very good. It's between Belleview and Orchard (just one block north of Arapahoe) off of Quebec.

There's also a Maggiano's - italian - close by - Dry Creek and Clinton.

If you head just slightly south on I-25 and get off at County Line, you can also eat at PF Changs China Bistro and Champps - sports bar. Both on the left off of County by Park Meadows Mall.

Your hotel should be able to give you directions to all.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:41 AM

Thanks for "finding" Pappadeaux for him/me. Be sure to have the blackened oyster fondue!!
Good other recs also.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM

J_Correa,

Are you going to have access to a car? If not here's a few local places in that area:

1. Great Northern Tavern - I-25 & Bellevue. Upscale microbrewery featuring everything from lobster springrolls to hickory smoked prime rib. Good food, nice atmosphere (good lounge area)
2. Las Brisas - I-25 & Orchard. Haven't been for awhile but they used to serve a killer paella and guac made tableside. Try the alligator appetizer or the pan fried carnitas. One of the best (and most unusual margaritas on the planet.
3. Ventura Grill - (as Gretchen suggested). I remember it being southwestern (but, sometimes my memory--she's not too good) and quite a good locals place
4. Deli Tech - As b_in_d said very good deli that gets it's "goods" from Carnegie Deli in New York. Great place for lunch.
5. Del Friscos - Realize this is a chain but greatly prefer this over Morton's and Brook's--which have both gone downhill IMO. Great lounge, food & service. Bring your wallet.

Now, I'm not trying to insult anybody here; however, here are my opinions on some of the other places recommended here:

Pappadeaux - Mediocre, over-rated creole/cajun food (hah!)chain

Chevy's - mediocre tex-mex

Maggianos - mediocre Italian chain

Good luck!

AL

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes I will have a car. I am just looking for places close by to minimize driving. I will be working, possibly some longer hours, so having good eats close by is important.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM

Actually Pappadeaux is not strictly a "chain"--it came out of Texas and we were thrilled when this one opened in Denver. But if you don't like it fine. We love the oysters. Macaroni Grill might be ordinary but not Maggiano's. And yes, Chevy's is just for a Tes-Mex fix. I think I did have a pretty good blackened fish taco there. One thing that is interesting about Denver I think is the total lack of Mexican restaurants.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
b_in_d

I will agree that Morton's has gone down hill. Went to the one downtown last weekend and there we so many jeans and t-shirt wearers there. Maybe I'm turning into an old fart, but I think you dress up a little for a nice place. Service was OK, food still pretty good.

I'm a little bummed about Brook's. I really liked them. Been a while though. Del Frisco's was more a crowd problem than service or food.

None hold a candle to The Palm though.

Maggiano's is good but not great. Much better than Macaroni Grill. There was a place in Park Meadows that moved to 25 and Arapahoe called Bella that I really liked but they're gone.

In the same mall as Ventura Grill used to be a place on the opposite corner that had fantastic comfort food. Best meatloaf and mashed potatoes anywhere. They closed, became a swiss place, I think, and now a fondue place, if memory serves. Still miss the original place.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

B_in_d the restaurant on the opposite corner from Ventura Grill is now an Italian restaurant called Venice. It has been there for at least a year or two. Great food! Gretchen your comment on a lack of good Mexican restaurants is so true. I have given up. When I want Mexican I just splurge and go downtown to Tamayo.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM

How about Hacienda Colorado or Brewery Bar III?

Sue