3 days in Colorado Springs--

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Colorado Springs--

Message: Hello, We're going to be in Denver for 2 days at the end of the month and will be staying at the Inverness Hotel and would like info as to sights and restaurants nearby. We will have a car. We will then be spending three days at the Broadmoor in Colordo Springs where we spent our honeymoon 35 years ago. We have not been back since then so need advice as to what activities there are and restaurant suggestions. We are getting very excited about this trip and want to make the most of it. We can go on day trips around the area and are looking for ideas. We would also like restaurant suggestions. I look forward to getting lots of good suggestions. Thanks, Nancy
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:35 AM

We were there over the summer and really liked 7 Falls and of course Pikes Peak. I've heard that 7 Falls is particularly beautiful in the winter. We ate in the garden restauarnt in the Broadmoor in the main building on the first floor and it was very good. The Golden Bee piano bar on site is very fun as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi-

I'm from Colorado Springs, although I haven't lived there in ages. I get home about once or twice a year. If you haven't been there in 35 years, prepare yourself for a shock - the place has undergone a huge growth boom and you may not recognize it. The growth out east will blow your mind.

The Broadmoor is still a very special place and we "locals' know of some good restaurants.

For down home BBQ, we like Howard's pit BBQ with locations on Sierra Madre and in the old County Line building on the west side of I-25. I'm talking basic, inexpensive, good home cooked food - nothing fancy.

Colorado Springs isn't known for it's Mexican food, but there's a great little place on Sierre Madre behind Penrose Library that serves up good New Mexican food - the name escapes me right now, but it's steps from the Guesippies Depot on the same street (also a good place).

Henry's in Old Colorado City is another place for good Mexican food.

For some local flavor and an inexpensive meal, there's always Fargo's on Platte Ave. (pizza) it's been there for ages and is as popular as ever.

Nemeth's on North Nevada is another CS institution - it's been there for over 25 years and still run by the same family (Mexican food).

Edelweiss off of North Nevada has great German food.

Panino's on Tejon St. serves up some decent Italian.

The Hungry Farmer is another Colorado Springs favorite (Garden of the Gods Road) as is the Sunbird (great Sunday brunch).

In Denver, the choices are endless, but two of our favorites are Holly West in Wheatridge (try the tacorito) where they've had the same cook for some 30 years, and The Brewery Bar II off of Kalamath. Best green chili in the world! It's a tiny little place in a questionable part of town with an extremely loyal following. One of those places you have to know about to know about....

The Fort, off of 285 (west of Denver)is a very distinctive place known for it's game and unusual surroundings.

Pappadeaux, a Houston Cajun seafood chain is now in Denver - there's only one location that I'm aware of - off of I-25 and Holly (I think it's Holly anyway).

All this talk of food is making me really hungry...

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:46 AM

The Inverness Hotel itself has a very nice restaurant (The Swan). They also have a huge seafood buffet on Friday night I think. The Sunday brunch is also fantastic.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM

I'm not sure what your tastes are (and you might like some of Melnq8's suggestions) but if you are celebrating your anniversary and looking for some nicer places to eat I wouldn't consider The Hungry Farmer or Fargo's and aside from Pappadeaux's I haven't heard much about the other places. When you are at Inverness, if you want a really nice meal I would suggest Del Frisco's in the Tech Center. It has a wonderful atmosphere, very romantic, excellent service and delicious food (it will generally run over $120 for a couple). Another close restaurant (Italian) is Maggiano's Little Italy closer to Park Meadows Mall but on the East side of I-25. They have a nice atmosphere and the food is pretty good, not too expensive. We also tried John Holly's Asian Bistro near Park Meadows twice over the weekend and it was pretty good. Great service, the food is good and if you like sushi they have a fresh sushi bar.

For Colorado Springs I would highly recommend eating at The Cliff House restaurant in Manitou. We ate there for our anniversary and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Again, fantastic service and a delicious meal (it will run over $120 per couple). The Hatch Cover is also not a bad meal and I heard they renovated the restaurant. It's a little higher priced but not as expensive as the Cliff House. All of these suggestions are within appx 5 miles of where you are staying.

You could take a trip up to Pikes Peak (I would do the cog railway unless you want white knuckles), take a trip to the Colo Springs zoo and feed the giraffes at their new exhibit, head up to the mountains, enjoy the hotels you are staying at (I think both have spas)! Congratulations on 35 years!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Good point Lenleigh - I didn't mean to imply that the places I listed were anniversary dinner material so much as places to eat that are unique to the Springs and Denver.

For an anniversary meal, I'd probably stay right at the Broadmoor.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your suggestion! We're getting excited about seeing the Broadmoor again. We will be eating at the Broadmoor in the really nice estaurant they have. I can't remember the name right now, but do have reservations. Are there any side trips we could take? The cog railway is closed right now. Sure have appreciated your suggestions.

Nancy