Search

Deerfield or Amherst

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deerfield or Amherst

Hi All,
I'm going on an overnight shopping trip with my girlfriend near the Yankee Candle Shop. We're looking for a nice place to treat ourselves. In the past, readers had good suggestions of very nice hotels limited to specific areas that made Priceline infallable. I would love such a suggestion, or simply a real nice place to stay- this is a much needed getaway from everyday lives as working mothers!

Thanks,
Pam
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

I thought I would try again. I am looking for a nice hotel for my girlfriend and I to stay during our shopping jaunt. We will be attacking stores in Deerfield, Mass, Amherst, and Sturbridge.
Any suggestions will be welcome

Thanks,
Pam
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:31 AM

You might check out the B&B Finder (which also includes inns) on the Yankee magazine website (www.newengland.com) since you don't seem to be getting much info here. I hope you'll let us know how you do.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:12 AM

The Deerfield Inn sounds like it will be prefect for you! It is only a mile up the road from the Yankee Candle Flagship Store, and it is a very cute B&B. It is right in the middle of Historic Deerfield, too. (Last year, Yankee Candle gave away a trip for 2 to the flagship store, and the accommodations were at the Deerfield Inn!)
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:34 AM

We spent a weekend at the Deerfield Inn a couple of summers ago while exploring Historic Deerfield (which is a fascinating, one of a kind place). I would classify the Inn more as a small hotel (website lists 23 rooms) - the included breakfast buffet was very good and dinner was pricey, but rather good and served in a fairly elegant room. For some reason, I think that our room was without a/c which was not particularly pleasant - while I may be remembering this incorrectly, you might want to check on this point. Our room was extremely small, but clean and reasonably comfortable. The location in the heart of historic Deerfield is great and our short trip to the candle factory (sorry - really cant stand the smell of that place - but we're obviously in the minority on this!) couldnt have taken more than 5 minutes or so. Enjoy!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:59 AM

HI Pammy,

I suggest skipping Amherst and going to downtown Northampton instead--much better shopping and great restaurants. It's just 10 minutes south on I-91 from the Deerfield area, get off at the 3rd Northampton exit and follow the signs. (Or you can follow Rt. 5 right into the center.) Have fun!

Patti
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:19 AM

If you stay in Northampton (aka Noho) you might want to stay at the Hotel Northampton. Traditional old world charm. There are also lots of great places to eat and shop in Noho. You need only one day to go through Yankee Candle (it's a great place), so I recommend spending some time in Northampton as well.
Also, there's a small motel right next to Yankee. I stayed there once and it was in desparate need of a facelift, inside and out. The only thing you could say is that it was close to the Yankee.
I hope this helps.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

does adding Sturbridge to the choices of Deerfield/Amherst elicit any other responses?
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Sturbridge is a little bit of a hike from Deerfield. You don't mention when you are planning this get-together. I only mention that because come leaf-peeping time, you are going to have it tough finding a place to stay. I agree with the other posters about Northampton. Yankee Candle is just up the interstate from 'hamp. Check out MassLive.com for suggestions.