Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendations in Atlanta - 3 days with no car

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest which area of Atlanta I should stay in. I will visit just before labour day and I will not have a car. I have never been to Atlanta and I would like to visit all the attractions (Coke, CNN, MLK's Sweet Auburn, Underground Atlanta - Have read on this board that there's not much there, etc). What is Buckhead? Is it an upscale residential area? I am looking for an area that is safe and convient. Will I be able to get to these attractions by public transport? I get the immpression that you nead a car in Atlanta to get around. Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:34 PM

You should have a car. Buckhead is a six block radius of bars and then nice mansion type houses in the area around...You could stay at the Hyatt on Peachtree (ask for Buckhead, because there's two Hyatt's on Peachtree, actually either one would be good) It depends on how much you want to spend...Stay in Midtown or Buckhead. Again, you need a car, there's no subway and by the time you pay for a taxi from the airpport, well- you could've paid for a car. Honestly, not much to do in Atlanta, period. Sorry to be so blunt.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Look up the JW Marriott next to Lenox Square. Close to Buckhead, great restaurants, shops, spas, and right on the MARTA train line to downtown.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Stone Mountain Park is good for most of a day's visit, especially the laser show they do in the evenings. It is a very beautiful area! But you must have a car to get there since it is at least 10 miles past the Indian Hills MARTA station, and the park itself is HUGE.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:58 AM

It's true, there isn't much to do in atlanta... but it is beautiful. and has some great restaurants to eat in. The other problem in Atlanta is that no one walks. Even if you stay in Buckhead(where I recommend you stay), everything is pretty close by, but crossing streets is scary and you'll be the only person walking. You'll be able to enjoy more parts of atlanta with a car. Just my 2cents.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM
GoTravel

If you aren't going to have a car, I would stay downtown because that is a walking area of the city. Buckhead is an easy Marta ride from downtown.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I vote Swisshotel in Buckhead. It's next to two big, upscale malls if you are a shopper. Several good restaurants are w/in walking distance. It's also next to a MARTA station, which I don't really recommend, but if you HAVE to use public transport...

Remember, Margaret Mitchell got killed by a bus crossing Peachtree St. and I'm assuming you are used to traffic on the other side of the road! careful!

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I didn't know that Margaret Mitchell was killed by a bus! Very interesting. Well, not "interesting" I suppose but I don't really know what to call it. Did not know that though.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM

I live in Atlanta and use MARTA, our public transportation, every chance I can. It's clean, safe and on time, plus it goes to the airport, all the major shopping malls, museums and theatre. And speeds by all those people in cars that are stuck in traffic every day of the week. My advice; stay in Buckhead near Lenox mall (MARTA station) -- there's the Swiss Hotel or Ritz-Carlton Buckhead. Then take the train everywhere you need to go, even at night.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:25 PM

A nice place to stay is The Granada Suites Hotel. It is a smaller hotel that has a shuttle bus that will take you to the areas you mentioned,and pick you up.They have a free breakfast and happy hour.They have a website.BEST western Granada Suites.Buckhead is a very congested small road with clubs full of twenty somethings doing things we would have never done in public 20yrs ago. Also, it is an upscale residential area. I guess it depends if you are living there or are just cruising as to how you define the area. Anyone over 27.............