Decisions, Decisions! Need Help w/ NYC Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so here is the deal...I love NYC with all my heart, though I have only visited it once, briefly, in my early twenties. I was barely there for about 48 hours.

I want to visit NYC again for my big 30. Part of me thinks that NYC has sooo much to offer and so much richness in culture, that I will have plenty to do in 5 full days (not including 2 travel days) and that the 700+ bucks for hotel is reasonable.

But there is that part of me that is used to visiting two places on my trips and I am wracking my brain trying to decide if I should stay in NYC for three days, and somewhere else, like Puerto Rico, for another three days. Hmm...money is also an issue as well....

Does 5 days sound sufficient to really get a feel for NYC?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Definitely stay in The City for 5 days. That will give you time to relax and explore, as well as see the "tourist sites" and museums.

Consider a Chelsea gallery tour ... a Village food tour ... a Watson Adventures scavenger hunt ... a Big Onion tour ... a visit to the Cloisters or Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

I've lived in NYC for a long time and I'm STILL learning and exploring my city (first visit to City Island about 2 weeks ago).

Enjoy!

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Neopolitan

Am I understanding right that you found a hotel in New York for 6 full nights (since you have five full days not including travel days) for a total of just over $700? You have be heartiest congratulations!

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:06 AM

$700 for a hotel for 5 nights in NYC is a miracle - unless it's Jan or Feb. there's plenty here to occupy you for 5 weeks or 5 months - don;t worry about filling 5 days.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

it is 731 bucks including taxes, but I share a bathroom. Sounds like a deal from what I have been hearing on here.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM

It is a deal. And I can't even begin to fathom wasting the time on such a short trip to fly to another destination (nevermind the added cost).

I don't really understand the concept of being used to staying in two places on vacation, so wanting that again. New York is enough to keep you busy for a year (if you could afford it!) - probably longer. If you want multiple places, spend a day or two in Brooklyn, etc. visitng different neighborhoods and attractions than on Manhattan.

There is seriously more than enough to do in 5 days, and yes, 5 days should be OK to give you a good taste of the city.