Search

DC restaurant ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:44 AM
gointoDC

DC restaurant ??

Does anyone know about Bistro Bis in DC? Is Kinkeads the locals fav. (as in zagat) and how about The palms for the best steak? Can't wait to get there-Thanks to you all!!

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was "researching" restaurants in DC for a long weekend I used:

www.washingtonian.com
www.washingtoncitypaper.com
www.gayot.com

I particularly liked the washington city paper's restaurant finder that had professional and patron reviews. I don't know if either of these are as upscale as you want, but we really enjoyed Andale (Mexican) and Coppi's Organic (Italian)...both have websites. Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM

It's also worth checking out the reviews of Tom Sietsma, the Washington Post's dining reviewer. He has a huge following and always seems to be right-on-the-mark.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
gointoDC

THANKS!!! one more question--tapas bar? i thought that might be fun.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM

I wasn't too impressed with The Palm. If you want steak, try Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Another good resturant is Mei n Yu (I think that is how it's spelled) or Mendocine (again, spelling) both in Georgetown.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:14 AM

All three excellent but very different choices. Bis is French (my fave of the 3), Kinkaid's leans to seafood, and the Palm is a steakhouse. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Washingtonpost.com is the best for online research - Tom Sietsema is a gem. The Washingtonian is the worst of those listed above - they are often way off the mark and recommend places that don't deserve it. The City Paper site is good for "Average Joe" (i.e. not expert) opinions.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Jaleo for tapas. Its on 9th or 10th.
Its TERRIFIC!!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Another vote for Jaleo for tapas--love it. I prefer Kinkead's to Bistro Bis and for steak at the price you'd pay at the Palm, I prefer the Capitol Grille on Pennsylvania. The last time I was at the Palm (years ago), the noise level was deafening.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM

I agree on jaleo for Tapas but for Steaks go to Ray's the Steaks in between Courthouse and Roslyn. Best steak and best bargain in the city (well, VA). all the money goes into the steaks and has a very plain decor.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Jaleo is on 7th, not 10th.

Bistro Bis is nice and Kinkeads recently went through a complete makeover of the restaurant.

I would recommend Charlie Palmer Steak for steak - dinner will come with a nice view of the Capitol. Although you really can't go wrong with the Palm. However, I gotta argue that Ruth Chris is a poor selection - you can do that restaurant anywhere. Previous poster was spot on with the recommendation of Rays the Steaks, although you have to book at least a month out for weekends and they only take reservations between 2-4.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
E

For research, I agree that washingtonpost.com is tops--the restaurant section has, in addition to reliable reviews, a neat search engine that allows you to select cuisine, location and price range.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Lots of discussion on the boards at chowhound.com.

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/boards/dc/dc.html
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM

since they bill themselves as "at the best corner of the most important city in the world," you might try nathans in georgetown. it is on the corner of the central intersection. it's been there forever and experiencing something of a rebirth. it appears to be only a bar but has a cozy dining room in the back. you'll eat well and feel like your close to the action.
but bistro bis is wonderful. the best french fries in the city. good drinks. great bar. lively bar scene.