Search

DC Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Itinerary Help

We are traveling to DC for the first time in November. We are staying in Georgetown, so when we go out for the day, we want to make the most of our time. I would like to hit these spots below, but I need help planning which makes the most sense on the same day.

We have 5 full days.

Saturday-Day 1
White house tour-(I already put my request in)
Lincoln Memorial
Vietnam Vet Memorial
Washington Monument
MLK Memorial
9/11 Memorial

Sunday-Day 2
National Mall/Museums

Monday-Day 3
Arlington National Cemetery
Holiday lights/tee lighting or theater =13pxperformance

Tuesday-Day 4
Spy Museum
Fords' theater
Monuments by moonlight trolly tour

Wednesday- Day 5
Rest -explore Georgetown

Old May 20th, 2022, 08:33 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board and tagged for DC
Old May 21st, 2022, 05:50 AM

I think your current grouping looks fine. You will have extra time on Day 3, obviously, the entire afternoon it appears. If you have any interest in art galleries/museums, you could do it that day (such as National Gallery and Portrait/Am Art Galleries, all are free). Also, Planet Word is a new "museum" up north of that area, not too far from McPherson Metro. It's interesting.

https://planetwordmuseum.org/

Finally, you don't say when you are coming, but you aren't going to likely be able to see the Christmas Tree lighting or any holiday lights, not sure when you are planning for. None of that occurs before Thanksgiving, and the Christmas Tree lighting is never before the last few days in November or first week in December. It might occur the week of Nov 27th in 2022 as that is the week after Thanksgiving.
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many museums you intend to tackle on Day 3? Some people take a week or more to cover the territory. For myself, I could probably cover 2 in a day before I start to zone out.

American History
Natural History
Museum of the American Indian
African American History and Culture
Air & Space (which may or may not have reaped after renovation)

Not to mention the art museums mentioned above located around the National Mall (plus the Hirshhorn, the Freer and Sackler Galleries).
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:18 AM

If you are doing the Monuments at Night tour you may not need to visit all of them during the day. Perhaps move the monuments tour to your first day and revisit the ones on another day that you wish to see up close. You might add a Smithsonian museum to Day 1.
Old May 21st, 2022, 12:22 PM

Don't forget the Jefferson Memorial, one of the very prettiest (Washington was only worth a glance IMO but tastes differ).
Old May 22nd, 2022, 09:07 PM

You will love Washington! I just returned from visiting my daughter so have a few fresh tips:

The National Mall with all the monuments is huge! There are walking tours both free (tip only) and paid group tours that I think are worth it.

The Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial tells a great story. And sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial (day or night) is simply majestic! If the Capitol is offering tours yet, it is a really good one!

The Smithsonian Museums also are huge! And there are many of them. My favorites are “The Price of Freedom” exhibit in the American History Museum and the docent highlight tour at the National Gallery. of Art - the only oil painting by da Vinci on permanent exhibition in the Americas: Ginevra de' Benci.we also love the Portrait Gallery with America’s Presidents and the First Ladies exhibits. But truly, this is all just scratching the surface!

There are fantastic historical walking tours of Georgetown. So glad you are staying there.

Make reservations at Old Ebbitt Grill and drinks at Off the Record at Hay Adams or the Willard or St Regis (super pricey but a treat!)

Have fun planning! Truly one of my favorite cities in the world!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Your Day 2 seems ambitious. Even seeing the recommended "highlights" in each Smithsonian museum on the Mall alone means you'll run out of time (and mental energy). Plus, the National Museum of African American History and Culture is still requiring (free) timed-entry passes, so you'll have to factor that into your day should you want to visit. You might want to explore each of the museums online to decide which exhibits interest you, and plan your day accordingly. Don't forget, too, that if art is an interest, there's also the National Gallery on the Mall; while American Art and Portrait Gallery are near the Mall and the Phillips Collection is a short walk from the Dupont Circle Station.
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:17 AM

On Day 1 when you are visiting the Vietnam Veterans Wall and Lincoln Memorial, don’t miss the Korean War Memorial on your way to MLKing Memorial and Roosevelt Memorial. If time keep on walking around the water, the “tidal basin” to the Jefferson Memorial. Glad you are doing the night time monument tour, I did that 40 years ago and it is magical!
You may want to check online for recent reviews of White House Tours, when I last went, pre 9/11, security took forever despite having the special ticket through a congress/senator’s office. They rushed you through, here’s the red room, green room and bam, 20 minutes later we were out on the sidewalk. The holocaust museum is worth a visit if you have time. There’s an exhibit for kids in the basement.
‘Have a wonderful visit!
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:19 AM

Make sure you have a park ranger tour of Ford’s theater, book in advance.