DC in March - Family of six

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a March 10-17 (spring break) trip to DC for myself, husband, 12 yr old daughter, 14 yr old son, and my parents.

My father is a limited mobility disabled, and walking long distances is not an option for him. Any great non-walking tour recommendations would be great, I'm not opposed to chartering a private tour (I found a few websites for some, but still need to investigate them with BBB and online reviews). I would like to do a day and night tour, has anyone done the night tour by boat on the Potomac?

Also looking for a good recommendation on hotel for two rooms that can comfortably sleep the six of us, two beds per room is idea. I don't want to break the bank, but my father's comfort, ease of getting around is top priority.

We are flying in, so is there somewhere we could rent a scooter (motorized wheelchair) or something to get him from monument to monument maybe?

I've put in for tours of White House, BEP, Capitol, Kennedy Center, LOC, and Supreme Court through our local Congresswoman, but don't have details yet (two weeks prior I will get those). We're definately doing the Smithsonians - Air & Space, Native American, American History, Natural History, and Postal Museum, as well as Arlington, and the War Memorials (my husband is a Vet).

Biggest question.. what will the weather be like? Do we pack for mild or cold temps?
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM

www.weather.com and www.wunderground.com can give you historical averages. You can look at the forecast starting a couple of weeks before.

It might be an early spring or maybe winter will decide to stick around in which case it might be very cold and possibly snow.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I definately plan to look at the forecast starting a few weeks prior, and I've seen a wide variety of averages, thus my question. I had hoped that I could do a little pre-trip planning for clothing and pass them off as Christmas gifts! We are in Houston, Texas, and my parents are in North Louisiana, so we are NOT prepared for cold temps clothing wise.

Thank you for your response!

I also read on another post that Taxis may be the best bet for going from monument to monument with a limited mobility traveller... Are there Taxi options that will hold six people at once, such as van? (There are here in Houston, I'm guessing yes.) And what's the average cost if we monument hop via taxi? (So I will be prepared with enough cash)
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM

"and I've seen a wide variety of averages, thus my question"

That is why your question is unanswerable in November
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Here's a couple of sites to check out for motorized scooter rentals in D.C.:

http://www.lenoxmedicalsupply.com/rentals.html

http://www.bikethesites.com/Bikes/
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM

There are taxis that hold six, but you won't easily hail one casually. You might want to hire one by the hour for an evening of monument-to-monument transport -- the fixed rate is $25/hour for regular taxis (don't know if it would be more for the larger ones), so it would be a bargain to take 6 people around to five or more monuments for under $100. I know several cab companies have dispatch service for wheelchair accessible cabs, so I'd start my search with them: Yellow Cab and Diamond Cab are two with pretty large fleets.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

longhorn55, THANK YOU! I had not thought of seeing if the bike rental places had scooters too!! Brilliant!!!! Definately worth renting for my father for 24 hours and we can spend a leisurly day walking the monuments, picnic, etc. AWESOME!!

vjpblovesitaly, very, very true!

kayd, it never occurred to me to rent a taxi by the hour, either.

I appreciate everyone's input very much, and will take all of it into consideration, and use, as I plan our vacation. This is my family's idea of a dream vacation, so I want it to be as great as possible.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM

You can't predict the weather but expect 60-65 during the day, high 40's at night.

The good news is that the important museums are all accessible to people with limited mobility, though the Philips Collection might be less than most since it is in a former house (or part of it is).

Since you will not, or your father will not, be using public transportation, there is an Embassy Suites somewhere around 22nd and O that might have good room arrangements. It is a reasonable walk, if I recall correctly, to Metro stations and Georgetown for other family members.

You are a nice person.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to the weather here...you realize that a few years ago we had a massive 14" snowstorm in APRIL..so anything is possible..how likely? probably less so...In March I would ASSUME it will be damp and chilly at night if not during the day.

It will NOT be Fall and it will NOT be "Spring" I suspect. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that your father can do SOME walking, right? How hard is it for him to get on and off a bus or in and out of a taxi? The Tourmobile on and off tour comes to mind.

The Potomac at NIGHT? You'll see a lot of stuff lit up and you can see the same stuff at night on a GreyLine tour.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, my father can do some walking. He only has one lung, so gets winded easily, and a plastic chest cavity on the left side, which jars him more-so than normal people, when walking. I figure by day two he'll be scooter bound. We did go to Disney in 2007, and he did fine with walking/scooter for four days. -- Bus and Taxi are fine for him, and good options. I just want to have choices for him, and ultimately, if he needs a scooter, the knowledge beforehand of where to get one so that he doesn't get discouraged with the trip, or spend the vacation in the hotel.

Tourmobile ceased operations on Oct 31st.

Yes, Potomac at night! I was looking at dinner cruizes, but don't see any that would be teen friendly offhand. They might be, but their sites don't say.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM

You may want to add to your list the National Archives and the Newseum. The Newseum has a fee but it is a very interesting place if current events interest you. I arranged for a tour of the Archives on their website. There isn't a fee but reservations are recommended.

The Tourmobile has ceased operations but the Greyline also has tours. I took the DC by night and it was nice but it would be expensive for a group of 6. Hiring a taxi may better suit your needs.

A taxi may also be best to see the monuments during the day. They are not all close together. It is almost a mile between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Memorial.

Public transportation is still available to you and your father in law. Most of the Metro stations have elevators to the platform.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Even if we are having nice weather here in mid-March, you will need sweaters or fleece jackets or some kind of outerwear. You may luck into mid-day weather that is warm enough for shirt sleeves if you are in the sun, but morning and evenings will definitely be chilly and it may be downright cold, especially if it is rainy.

If it was me, I would pack: raincoat/waterproof jacket, possibly with a liner for added warmth, a few light turtlenecks or other long sleeved sweaters that go over t-shirt type tops, a couple of fleece pullovers (cheap at Old Navy if you won't have much use for them at home), and gloves and a hat in case it is really windy. Then you can add or subtract layers. You can probably do without full-on winter coats at that time of year, as long as you are prepared with layers.

I used to lead tours of high school students to DC, and the southern girls were always freezing because they didn't wear closed shoes with socks but showed up with little cute flats or flipflops. March is almost always still "sock weather" here. My high school students are still in their Uggs until the end of March. If your feet are warm and dry the day is always more enjoyable when touring!