Washington DC in Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody! We are thinking about going with our 3 kids to Washington DC on Christmas Day for 6 days. Is it very cold at this time of the year (we live in FL, by the way)? Is is a good time of the year for sightseeing? Any tips you might have are welcome!

Thanks,

Clau
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Christmas is a great time to visit DC.

Two of my favorite seasonal highlights: Mount Vernon decked out for the holidays and ice skating at the National Galley's Sculpture Garden.

Temps vary widely. Average high and low are 47-32 for December but we've had very rare 70-degrees and others that dip below zero. You can either pack for the extremes or get acquainted with Filene's downtown ....
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM

We visited at this time last year and are form Florida too. We had a very good time, the weather was great, it is a nice change of pace from our Dec. 80's. It rained a couple of times but no big deal, if you are there for 6 days just plan accordingly to the weather. We did the zoo on our last day and got to see the Adam's Morgan area which I recommend you visit for dinner. Not sure how old your kids are but my youngest was 14 months and she did very well. There is a lot of walking in DC, so also be prepared for that.

Arlington Cementary looked stunning with the wreaths on the tombstones. Make sure you take your kids there, it is quite impressive. Just a quick metro ride.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Another plus for DC at that time is good hotel rates, as there is no convention business then. Museums are usully pretty busy, though, but not like peak tourist time in spring and summer. If you find the weather colder than you expected, street vendors will be pleased to sell you DC sweatshirts and ski caps.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM

It is very quiet in Washington DC around Christmastime. It is a good time to visit. As for weather, it can be capricious. Sometimes it is cold yet I can remember Christmasses when the temperature has been in the sixties. More than likely, it will be in the forties with a small likelihood of snow.

Make sure all the places you want to visit will be open at the hours you wish to visit.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM

It is a great time to be in DC. The city is relatively empty and restaurants are easy to get into. Except for Christmas Day--where a lot of things will be closed except for the monuments and Mt. Vernon--most of the visitor are locals and their guests.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM

We also thought it would be empty but the Museums and the like were pretty packed when we went at Christmas time (Dec 26th to 31st).
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I grew up about 15 minutes outside the city and Christmas is one of my favorite times in DC. As others have mentioned, the weather can be varied so just bring a little bit of everything. If it is cold, I am sure your kids will enjoy bundling up and going to see the National Christmas tree!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Clau,

Hotels (look for deals) and many restaurants will be very UNcrowded. Do you have a hotel already?

But, many museums WILL be crowded. All the school kids are out and many parents in the area will be taking their families into DC to combat cabin fever. The monuments will practically empty.

Weather will likely vary from 30 deg F to 50 Deg F. Not that bad, IMO but DO have a heavy winter coat (do they sell them in Florida?).

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

bardo1: I don't have hotel accommodations yet. Any suggestions? We are two adults and 3 kids, so we would need a suite or a room large enough to accommodate all of us.

Thanks,

Clau
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM

I would actually wait until Dec and look for last minute deals on Travelzoo and the like. You are coming at low season and there will be lots of room available at big discounts.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM

With the downturn in the economy, some experts are predicting the end of the year should produce some very good deals. I'm going to do as bardo suggests and try to hold out til then to book my hotel.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Try to get tickets for The Nutcracker at Kennedy Center. There are many good concerts and choral performances during December as well.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM

The Norwegian Embassy sponsors a huuge model train display at Union Station, our beautiful big old train station, every holiday season. (Actually, until I googled for the picture just now, I didn't realize who sponsored it.) Pix are here:
http://dc.about.com/od/christmasphot...nionStChri.htm

Union Station also has lots of shops and a big food court (kid-friendly).
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Clau,we're thinking of going around the holidays too! "The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber" at the Kennedy Center is playing from Christmas to New Years. I'll be following your thread to piggyback on the suggestion offered to you!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I like Embassy Suites for family travels. Two rooms, two tv's (less fighting), kitchette, great breakfast, indoor pool, happy hour--all included and all at comparable prices for non-suite single hotel rooms. There are a few in good locations in DC. The one in Alexandria is across from the train. I think there's another near the Mall.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I second the Arlington National Cemetery. A company in Maine started sending enough wreaths to cover one section----something like 4,000 graves of America's finest. It is very moving at Arlington any time of the year, but this display is one of the most touchy you'll see anywhere.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Consider staying at the Marriott Residence Inn at 2120 P St NW. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the Dupont Circle metro station. In addition, there are 25 or 30 restaurants in the neighborhood with numerous types of cuisine at all price levels. For example, between the metro station and the hotel you'll find French, Thai, Japanese, and Italian restaurants, plus a Burger King and a Krispy Kreme donut shop.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM

What do you work there or something?
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM

No. I live in Durham, NC, and my wife and I go to DC 2 or 3 times a year. We always stay at a hotel near Dupont Circle. We've never stayed at the Marriott; I suggested it because it would seem to be suitable for people with children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -