DC EU Embassy tours - May 7

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If you're in DC this weekend, u might want to check out the EU embassy tours.
http://www.eurunion.org/EUinUS/index...id=2&Itemid=20
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds interesting, but unfortunately I won't be there next weekend!

Several years ago my family really enjoyed just walking along Embassy Row and looking at the architecture of the buildings.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned the following Saturday, May 14, other embassies are open
http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/thi...ee/passport-dc

Yes, the bldgs themselves are really lovely. We go inside many of the embassies for various exhibits and some of them are just beautiful.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info! We won't be there, but I've sent it to friend who live in DC.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM

The timing stinks. I arrive on the 9th and leave on the 14th.... >
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I've gone every year and still haven't seen them all. Germany or UK is probably my favorite for freebies but Belgium has beer and chocolate.
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Rub it in, Emily, that I'm missing out on Belgium chocolate!!

Have a extra for me, please.......
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Just got back from the embassy tour and it couldn't have been a lovelier day. The shuttle buses were a bit confusing and didn't stop at all the stops so I had to walk back 2 blocks for the UK embassy. They always have a lot of free goodies there-whiskey tasting and tables for the kiddies to doodle and have their face painted. Spoke to a lovely Glaswegian gentleman about Scotland and Edinburgh. I have to admit-the accents are charming.

The Danish embassy was next and a steep uphill climb but upon arrival, there were few people around and was able to get into the next tour of the ambassadors residence. Very modern and Danish with clean simple lines and cool 1960s Danish furniture. There's even a tapestry of Obama made of Chicago Tribune papers. The first ambassador even put in a swimming pool for the embassy staff. Very nice! Denmark wants to break it's reliance on fossil fuels and be totally fossil fuel free by 2050. Gotta love those Danes.

Next it on to the Dutch and Luxomberg embassies, the latter had a huge embassy despite it's small size.

My final stop was the EU Delegation where you could answer a quiz and win a prize. I found out I know less about the EU then I thought and had to go back to correct my answers. It was so crowded at most embassies that I couldn't take pictures without someone walking into my shot. Grr.

However, the highlight of my day was not part of the EU. In a great publicity move, the Muslim Women's association had their International Bazaar on the route of the embassies. In a lovely courtyard and building built like a mosque complete with minaret, the women from all the Arab/African Muslim countries were selling food and jewelry/clothing for charity. They even opened up the mosque and having never been in a mosque, I decided to peak in. After taking off my shoes and covering my head with a scarf, I entered the smallish building. Very beautiful with calligraphy and light coming in. Of course there's no alter or pews so the beauty of the building is in it's wall and ceiling designs. Very interesting and it helps "demystify" certain parts of their religion.

Great day out but my feet are killing me!
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM

I am SO sorry I will miss this! Sounds like you had a spectacular time, Emily, thank you for sharing!
Old May 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We, too, spent the day touring the embassies, but only managed to see 5 in the four hours we toured due to the long lines. We started on the green shuttle line, so Malta was first. The Maltese ambassador himself was giving "the 7,000 year history of Malta in ten minutes" to groups of visitors in his office, while other embassy folks passed out Maltese cookies and a sweet beverage. The next stop was Lithuania--they had a huge spread of baked items, chocolate, and beer and wine, along with a very malt-y "soda" that caused my 9 year-old's face to wrinkle up! From Lithuania we went next to Poland--by far my favorite of the 5. The Polish embassy has been in the same building since 1909, a grand structure with sweeping ceilings and beautiful ornamentation. The ballroom contained a large mural, "The Glory of the Polish Arms" and this room was also where the excellent kielbasa, pierogi, and beer were served.

With lines for the "popular" embassies along Mass. Ave snaking forever down the sidewalks and the event nearing its end, we tucked into the Estonian Embassy next with no wait. Pretty building; in the parlor were women in traditional clothing making lace and sharing culture with listeners. Our final embassy visit was the UK--the gardens were fabulous (and the whisky wasn't too bad, either.) With each embassy we visited, a new vacation destination was added to our list!

This Saturday the non-EU embassies are hosting their open houses. Selfishly I'm hoping it rains just hard enough to keep some of the visitors away, but I'm going to map my strategy tonight for the must-see homes just in case!
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

In agreement with fourfortravel re tomorrow. The crowds were daunting at some of the Embassies.
This past Saturday we also saw Malta & Estonia. The only "big" embassy we waited inline maybe 20 minutes or so was Portugal which was great. They had a video and we were greeted by the Dep Ambassador. Then into a big room for Port and cake and bread and codfish--delish! We also checked out Bulgaria and Cyprus with no wait and not alot to be seen inside. We then decided to get out of the Mass Ave crush and headed over to TIlden Street where we saw the Czech Repub which had the Ambassadors residence open and a big picnic like atmosphere on their grounds. They a had a cute fashion show. Down the street was Hungary (they were selling food) and had dancers. From there we went to International Drive (think that's the name) and went into Austria who was out of food and drink -- it was after 3 by then. Didnt have mch going on at that point..some music was playing. Then we walked across to Slovekia which was a nice building and had some interesting exhibits.

Was nice to pick up info on the countries and talk to people who lived there. Educational & great for vacation planning.
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. If the Belgian Embassy was giving out beer and chocolate, I may not have left...
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We had the good fortune to get to the Egyptian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Ghanan, Nigerian, Ethiopian, and Saudi Arabian embassies today. The crowds were much diminished from last week--the weather gods provided the intermittent drizzle to keep away the faint of heart and those who don't think the non-EU embassies are as much fun. Toured amazingly beautiful buildings (Ghana wins for Most Awesome Staircase!) and ate delicious food everywhere we went (I did wonder about the elbow macaroni in the koshari we ate in Egypt, though); the $5 heaping plate of Ghanan fish, chicken, and spinach made it challenging for me to savor the sweets of Pakistan and Bangladesh later in our tour, although our teenage son was fully up to the task. Our embassy-hopping tour ended at Saudi Arabia--they were out of food by 3:30 save for dates and Arabian coffee--but there was still the entertainment of playing dress-up in traditional Saudi clothes (even for grown ups) that amused us. Can't wait until next year!
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, happy to c the dreary weather this am! We started at Brazil which has a gorgeous Italianate bldg with beautiful interior rooms. They had music playing outside. Definitely the highlight in terms of just the space. From there we hoofed it up Mass Ave to Boliva where it was very festive! Food being sold out back and music in the front. Dancers in native costumes, yellow, orange and lime green all on one costume, feather and on stilts. Dancers we saw wore typical clothing as opposed to the costumes and did dances from their respective areas of Boliva. Very fun!

From there we tried to go to Argentina, but it was mobbed with lines down the street. Oh well, we just got back from ARg last month, so we know what the country is like at least.

We drove over to Georgetown to check out the Thai embassy cause we're going to SEAsia this winter. Lots of food downstairs being sold. We sampled a bit. Upstairs they were selling Thai clothes, jewelry etc and had some kind of Kung Fu exhibit going up. I have to say if I wasn't already planning to go their tour would not inspire me to go to Thailand.

We ended on International Drive again and went into Egypt first and then Pakistan which had loud grating music and NO security which floored me. Also went into Ethiopian for their coffee ceremony. Sorry we skipped on Ghana.

Just as last weeks was, a very fun and entertaining way to learn about countries.