DC/Alexandria with a senior

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of taking my 84-year-old mother on a mini-vacation (3 days) to Washington (she's never been!). She is in great shape and health, but walks slowly. Our thought is to stay in Alexandria and do (maybe) a day in Washington and a day at Mt. Vernon. If we drive to Washington from Alexandria, can we park once and get around on foot? I know we can do the mall/monument/Smithsonian on foot -- but how about Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorial? Is driving completely insane? We don't expect to be able to see everything while we're there -- it's more the overall experience of Washington that we'd like to give her, as comfortably as possible.

Also, any suggestions for a mid-price-range Alexandria hotel/inn/B&B that is pleasant and well-located would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I can't help with an accommodation recommendation, but I think the Tourmobile would be ideal for your situation.

http://www.tourmobile.com/

You can reboard as often as you like, and it passes all the key sites. From there, you can decide how much you want to see on foot.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you want the narration, and especially if you want transportation withIN Arlington Cemetery, the Tourmobile it great.

If you only want transporation around the Mall, look into a new bus service, the DC Circulator (www.dccirculator.com) that has unlimited use for $1/day per person. I'm not sure how far west it goes, but there are also 2 other routes for Union Station to Georgetown, and Waterfront to Convention Center. You can change between the routes as well.

There is a reduced cost ticket for Tourmobile service ONLY within Arlington as well. A Metro station on the Blue line is close to the cemetary.

May I recommend the Embassy Suites in Alexandria for your stay? It's right across the street from King St Metro Station (on Blue & Yellow lines). There is also a Radisson & Hilton very close as well. You get a full cooked breakfast at the ES, there's a pool, and walking down King Street (or take a DASH Bus) to Old Town is nice.

Even with your Mom along, I don't think I'd drive to DC. The Metro and the bus, whether you use Tourmobile or Circulator, will probably be satisfactory. My then-81 year old mother got around OK 2 years ago. Do drive to Mt Vernon, however if you'll have a car anyway.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

You have made my day! That is just perfect for us and will make it so much easier to commit to this idea and start making plans. Thanks so much.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow -- another response while I was typing my first reply. The DC Circulator sounds great, too. Thanks for that, and for the hotel recommendation. At this rate, my trip will be planned by the end of the day -- thanks to the wonderful Fodorites.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM

I just looked a little closer at the DC Circulator interactive map http://www.dccirculator.com/Interactive_Map/index.cfm and I see that it goes no further west than the WWII Memorial (17th?). But there are a few stops it makes near a Blue Line metro station (Smithsonian, Federal Triangle the two best) that can get you to Arlington.

Another hotel suggestion is the Hyatt in Arlington. It's even closer to Rosslyn Metro station than ES is to King St, and sometimes has some GREAT rates for seniors, bringing price to moderate. If you don't mind a 1/2 hour Metro ride to downtown, stay in Franconia/Springfield area. Free parking at most hotels (Hilton, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, others), free shuttle to Metro station, and lower prices. Large shopping mall across the street. I still like being near King St but thought I'd throw out another option .. parking will cost you near King St. Yikes- one more. Holiday Inn Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria. Free parking, pool, next to Eisenhower Metro (Yellow line) but really "blah" neighborhood - but you'd have your car.

Good luck and enjoy.