Day trip to Long Island

Search

Day trip to Long Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Long Island

Last time we were in NYC I managed to drag Gytha and Mazzrat to Oyster Bay on the train. They loved it!

Does anyone have any ideas for another day trip like this? Somewhere easy to get to (without hours of travelling) by train or coach.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Who are Gytha & Mazzarat & where do they want to go? LI again? What about north of the city? Here are some ideas

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....trips+from+nyc

If you type day trips from nyc in the text search there are some other strings too.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Port Jefferson is charming.There is a train right from penn station that takes you to the town.It is about amile or two from town so you may have to catch a cab.It is right on the water,with good resturants and Quaint shops.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM

you might want to check the MTA site, and look into Long Island Rail Road, Metro North and NJ Transit. There are a multitude of options there. The website is www.mta.info.

Also, it would help if we knew the ages of the people you're referring to, and what you did there that made it great for them. If it's kids, there are different things I would suggest than if they were adults!
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Actually I meant to say Esme not Gytha (thats me!) Esme and I are adults and Mazzrat and Daniel are 17 and 13.

I guess it doesn't have to be Long island its just that we went there last time and it was so relaxing.

Does Port Jefferson have an ice cream soda shop? My friend took me there when I stayed with her and it was delicious. Lovely little place too.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:18 AM

There's tons to see and do on Long Island but unfortunately for most of it you'll need a car. The places reached by train are quite limited and buses are not a reasonable option. Port Jeff is a cute town as are Southhampton and East Hampton. Teddy Roosevelt's home at Sagamore Hill is interesting and Old Bethpage Village Restoration is a fascinating view of colonial life with lots of demonstrrations, special events etc. Why not rent a car for the day and explore little bit?
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I too was going to mention Sagamore Hill but you might have seen it last time. The boys would like it I think. East Hampton & Southampton are FAR-over 2 hours in EACH direction. Here's the Long Island tourist info website
http://www.licvb.com/what_to_do.html

The gardens at Old Westbury are supposed to be great. Not sure about whether they're open all year
http://www.licvb.com/searchDetails.cfm?id=439

I think you should also consider going up to the Hudson Valley where they are many beautiful homes/estates you can tour. Here's some info
http://www.hudsonvalley.org/index.html

There's not only train service but during certain seasons you can take a boat up the Hudson.