Search

Navini Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navini Island

Please tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to stay at Navini with three active adolescents? Places like Treasure Island sound too crowded and Castaway's accommodations are not flexible for a family of 5(we'd have to pay for two bures). We love to swim and snorkel and sail Hobie cats. We don't need kid's clubs. We love to meet interesting people. Are we making a good choice?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:38 PM

We stayed there a few years ago and loved it as well as the people running it. However I'm not sure about meeting people because there were only two others on the island when we were there. It was a great restful change for us after Treasure Island which was nice too but very much more people (mostly honeymooners).
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM

You're not crazy! If you - and the adolescents - love to swim, snorkel and sail Navini is just fine. They also do trips to other resorts, including Castaway and Treasure, so if desperate they can indulge in jet skis etc then. Navini is one of the most delighful and friendly places we've ever visited.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Hi IPMsMom-take a look at www.octopusresort.com-great value-one of my favourite places in Fiji and super for kids. You are wise to avoid Treasure. Check out www.fijiguide.com for some negative posts on Treasure & some good stuff on Octopus. Good luck.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I still wonder if Navini is a little TOO small for my clan. It sure sounds idealic to me. Octopus looks good, but I wonder if it might be two rustic for my family for a week. Castaway and Treasure are definitely out. Still looking at Cousteau's despite the cost...
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:08 PM

Hi there

Navini is by far our favourite place to stay in Fiji and is we believe one of the most welcoming places we have been to.

Our family is a lot younger than yours, our kids are only four and two, so they are more easily entertained than teens. In saying that there are daily activities available to guests on the Island with daily trips either out fishing and snorkling or trips to other nearby islands. If your teens surf then a long boat trip out to a nearby reef can also be arranged from the island with a little advance warning.

Castaway is not too far away and neither is Treasure Island.

As far as Castaway is concerned have they definately said that they will not provide a rollaway for you in the Bure? Their bure's whilst not palacial are not that small. We stayed there about 5 years ago before we discovered Navini.

Other options you could consider if you do not mind larger resorts are Mana Island and Musket Cove. More activities are available at these locations and they are not too far away from Nadi so transfering is not too bad.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:29 PM

If you can arrange a roll-away bed at Castaway, go for it. The resort is a blast for older kids (pre-teen/teenagers). We've been there twice in the last 3 years and my boys, now 12 and 14 can't wait to return. Both visits, they met other kids their ages, and today, still keep in contact with them. Also, the meal plan is great with older kids as they can eat at the wood fire pizza place anytime or at the restaurant when they are hungry. The food is great, too. Although is seems larger than many resorts, there are kids of all ages, and the staff seems to get to know each one (and will let you know what they are up to, too).

Also, since it is quite a distance from the U.S., you and your kids will have the opportunity to meet so many kids and adults, too) from NZ and Australia. My boys had a "group" of six kids that they hung out with all week. Although we do dive each day, they still found plenty of time to wake board, knee board, hobie cat sail, etc. The beach area is far better than most we've been to in Fiji and there are activities for all to participate in.

Hopefully, this helps. We've been to Treasure, Plantation, and Malolo, too, but always come back to Castaway. Although not fancy, it's awesome in so many ways that you just can't put a price on.

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions or need any advice on travel tips to Fiji. We, too, are considering staying at JM Cousteau next year for a change of pace. I just don't know if my kids will let it happen!

Good luck and have an awesome time! Let us know what you decide on, too.

P.S. Check pricing with Costco.com. I used them last year on my trip to Castaway. We did day rooms on both ends, seaplane transfers (a must), meal plans, transfers, etc. There are so many ways to make this such an enjoyable and simple trip. Good luck..susan

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

I have heard Castaway can be a blast for older kids. My husband and I worry that it might be too raucous an atmosphere for us. Too many power watercraft, people and general commotion. But we're open to it. When I contacted Castaway two years ago, they made it clear we would have to have two bures or the family bure (same cost at 2 bures!) for our family. They were firm on the four people limit. And now my kids are only bigger! I can ask them again, I suppose.

About Navini, are the daytrips to islands included or extra? What about the daily trip to a "local village where staff live" that I keep reading about? How good is the snorkeling off of Navini's beach and how does it compare with Castaway?

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM

I don't think you have to worry about any commotion what so ever. First, the Fijians are such mellow people, that there is just a calm, mellow approach to everything. Both weeks that my kids were there, there were plenty of kids, but never any questionable behavior. Second, the resort tends to draw in Aussies and New Zealanders. They are such polite people and definitey not the high maintenance types you find here in California. We live in Laguna Beach and the kids here are pretty free and sometimes can push the limits. I've never encountered that behavior at Castaway. Plus, the place is dead at night. Yes, there is a bar, but it is very quiet after dinner. Most people have dinner and go to bed.

Also, there are two sections of beach bures. We've stayed at both. Both had their advantages, but both sides of the resort were very, very quiet in the evening.

I hope I don't sound like a sales rep for Castaway. We have just had such great trips there. Even if the accomodations don't work for you, perhaps others on this forum will give Castaway a try. I wish I could say the same about the other resorts I've stayed at in Fiji...
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Just curious, where else have you stayed in Fiji? We have not been to the South Pacific but are anxious to try it. We have gone to the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean a couple times and love it there. Great place for families with active interests. But we're always looking for new recommendations!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

We've stayed at Treasure Island, Plantation Island (both quite a few years back), Malolo and Castaway.

Maybe you can help me with some info on the BVI's. I was trying to put together an Easter trip there but got so overwhelmed with all of the choices. I haven't a clue about the Carribean. We live in California and it is just easier to travel to the south pacific. Super easy flight, and you never really suffer from jet lag when you get there. Also, our dollar still goes far there compared to the Carribean (at least where I was looking). I am looking for a great family resort with good food, activities, diving, and ease of travel.

Any suggestions??

Thanks..susan
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Easter's tough. That's major high season for the Caribbean and you'll find it hard to find accommodations and you'll pay a premium to get them! We love the BVI. Very laid back and not overly "developed". There are no high rise resorts and the islands (40 something of them!) are not rimmed with villas. It's a sailors paradise and many people hire chartered boats to cruise them around. Not as expensive as you might think, and a great way to get a feel for the place. As for resorts...we like the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda(www.beyc.com) though their website doesn't begin to do the place justice. Long Bay Beach on Tortola is also popular. There's Leverick Bay, Guavaberry and Mango Bay to look at. These are all family friendly places, but not resorts in the traditional sense. The Bitter End has a lot to offer in terms of ways to get out on the water, good (and plentiful!) food, a pool, evening entertainment, fabulous beachfront tree-house like cottages with wrap-around porches, and a beautiful setting on a protected bay. Snorkeling is fantastic in the area (for the Caribbean--not what it used to be, I hear). There are lots of families there and most are return guests--some have been coming every year for 20 years! We always meet wonderful people.

I was right about Castaway. I e-mailed and they said we'd need two bures totalling $1060 a night U.S. and that's not including the meal plan. Ouch!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Hi Again

You asked earlier in the thread about trips away from Navini. The daily trip either out fishing or to a neighbouring island is complemetary. The only time you will pay anything is when you visit a local village and then it is only $2 FJD. This is basically a "gift" to the local chief. Very reasonable in my opinion.

The daily trips from Navini include (depending upon the day) Malolo, Castaway, Treasure as these islands are all fairly close.

However if none of these options appeal on the day the staff on the island are fairly flexible and plans can be changed to go and do something else.

When we were there in April/May this year there were only about 8 - 10 of us on the island and we all changed our minds alot. We all seemed to enjoy fishing so we did a fair bit of that, including a dawn trip up to the southern Yasawas to trawl for Spanish Mackerel (Waloo). Believe me dawn with the sun coming up over Viti Levu is a sight to see, especially when you are out on the Pacific.

The good thing about Navini is that as it is a private island other tourists cannot land on it so there are many times when you end up with the beach to your self.

As far as snorkling is concerned, the reef around the island is a marine reserve, i.e. no fishing therefore the sealife is bountiful. I have mentioned on this site before how I was snorking only metres off the beach when a school of fish surrounded me in their thousands and swam around me for a few minutes. It was a great experience.

As for Castaway, yes it is a bigger resort but the staff there are pretty friendly and you can get away from it all if you park yourself at the far end of either of the main beaches. As far as pwered craft there are concerned I only remember a couple of jetskis and a power boat used for the paragliding. Neither of these forms of watersport appeared intrusive. BTW at Castaway these activities are NOT included in your tariff.

At Navini there is no motorised watercraft (Other than the boat which takes you round the islands) but there are kayaks and a hobbie cat as well as peddlecraft. These are included in your tarrif at Navini.

If it sounds like I am a fan of Navini it is because I am. Looking at booking another two weeks there next May/June. I also liked Castaway, just not as much.

Hope this helps.

Where ever you stay I am sure you will enjoy it.

Enjoy

Steve
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. You really are an enthusiastic advocate for Navini! I know what it's like to feel excited about a place. We would probably look to go in June, July or August and I think we stand a better chance of finding more of a crowd at that time of year. The activities sound perfect for us, and I think we'll combine it with a Blue Lagoon Cruise to the Yasawas. Can't wait!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:06 PM

You will LOVE the Blue Lagoon cruise.Have a great time!