Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Day trip from Maui to Oahu - how do we do this??

Day trip from Maui to Oahu - how do we do this??

Mar 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Day trip from Maui to Oahu - how do we do this??

We (husband, myself, two teens)are renting a condo and a car on Maui for two weeks. I would like to fly over to Oahu for a day and visit the Arizona Memorial and the PCC. So, I have a few questions: Do I need to book airfare now for the trip from Maui to Oahu? Or can I book over there? What airlines fly between? When we get to Oahu, can we get reasonable transport to these sites (bus, cab)? Or would it be better to rent a car for the day? Is it really doable - seeing both sites in one day and flying back and forth?

Thanks for the help!
Mar 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM

One of the best tour companies in Hawaii is Robert's Tours. I haven't done anything with them except the shuttle from the Honolulu airport, but I know folks who have and they were pleased. From what I was told, they can book the entire day trip for you and you wouldn't have to worry about the details at all. Try looking up their website - http://www.robertshawaii.com and see what you come up with.
Mar 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Is a tour the only option? Not usually our thing...

Anyone?
Mar 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM

Why not just fly over for the day on Hawaiian or Aloha airlines. Take an early flight and either get a cab to the USS Arizona and then take the bus around from there. Or it might just be easier/less time consuming to rent a car.
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:54 AM

Hawaiian, Aloha, and Island Air will all fly you into honolulu. I would recommend a rental car over a city bus though, as the bus will take over 4 hours of your time in driving time alone. PCC can take a while to see, and the last flights out are not very late, so you'll want your transportation as rapid as possible.
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:22 AM

Hawaiian Airlines or Aloha Airlines. Check out their websites. Earlier you book, chances are you can pick up a cheaper fare.

I'd rent a car. You can find a compact for around 35 bucks. Small investement for the freedom it will give you.

You can do both in one day, but you'll miss out on the PCC dinner program as you'll need to fly back before then.
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM

This is very easy to do. When we lived on Kauai my husband traveled to Honolulu at least once a week for business. Lots of people commute between islands on a daily basis.

I would take an early AM flight on Hawaiian or Aloha (book in advance) rent a car, have a jam packed day of sightseeing, and then take the last flight back to Maui.
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:58 AM

You can certainly fly on Aloha, Hawaiian or Island Air as people have mentioned but it is going to be a pretty expensive day trip for four people. The flights are not all that cheap - I just flew from Oahu to Maui and the cheapest flights I could find were in the $160 range roundtrip per person.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:24 PM
KVR

We stayed on Maui in Feb. 2003. We booked air and car to Oahu with mauibound.com. We used Aloha Air and Dollar. For the 2 of use it came to $236.00 for both. If you plan for this excursion don't do what we did. First, take the time to spend a least 1 - 2 nights here instead of a day trip. We were rushed and didn't get to see everthing we wanted. If that is not possible, than book the first flight going over and the last flight coming back. We when made our reservations, we thought that is what we had done, but when we got our confirmation (at the hotel when we checked in) our flight left at 8:30 am and returned at 5:00 pm. This was just not enough time to enjoy the Island or it's sights. We tried to change the reservation times, but all flights were completely booked and we didn't want to chance stand-by. Also consider in delays. Flight left at 8:30, we arrived at 9:00. By the time the plane landed, we got off, went to the car rental booth, stood in line, completed the contract, waited for the shuttle to take us to the car lot, stood in line for the keys and was on our way it was 10:30. So a lot of time wasted. Also we had to be back at the airport by 3pm to turn in the car and and go through security.

Definetly book your flight as early as possible. We booked ours 3 months in advance. As someone else pointed out, several business people Island hop on a daily basis, therefore, the flights are consistanly booked up.

While waiting in the Oahu airport for our flight back, we stopped in the bar. They make the best pina colodas we've ever had. They use macadamin nut liquor.
Mar 31st, 2005, 01:22 PM

I agree with everyone who says a day trip is going to be tight, what with the airline schedules and everything else involved; a lot of hassle for not as much payoff as you probably anticipate. If your flight to or from the mainland goes through Honolulu, could you tack on a night or two there at the start or end of the trip?

love
roxy
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - booked airfare on Aloha, $552 for the four of us. (You were right, Tom42 - expensive day!) I will rent a car to give us more flexibility but we don't want to spend the night. We mainly want the kids to see Pearl Harbor - anything else that we do will be extra. Our kids are getting to the age that we only have a few family vacations left so we really are trying to make them count. Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread