Search

Hawaii 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii 2009

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are traveling to Honolulu and Maui later this year and I'm wondering whether we should rent a car. Can anyone provide some guidance on whether having a car is a must?

Thank you.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM

You can get around Oahu by using The Bus, but you'll waste a lot of time riding rather than experiencing. There are car rental offices in Honolulu, so I'd rent a car for a day or so. You really need a car on Maui. There are some buses/trolleys which take you to a few of the areas, but you won't be able to experience the real Maui if you don't have a car. Dianne
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM

I agree with Dianne and the need for a car on both islands and like she said the Bus on Oahu is really pretty good and we do use it in Honolulu but we get a car to see the rest of the island.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Definitely get a car on Oahu for at least one day, so that you can drive around the island, and up to the north shore. Have some fresh shrimp at one of the shrimp trucks!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM

A car is a must on Maui.

On Oahu you can see the island much better with a car.

By the time you pay for shuttles, cabs, buses & tours you can do on your own, you will not save any $$ by not renting a car.

Plus you will have spent hours on or waiting for public transportation.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM

On Oahu, there is a substantial fee for parking at most Waikiki hotels, and if you are staying there, you would not likely need a car every day. As mentioned above, you can rent a car for a couple of days from your hotel or other close-by site.

On Maui, it just isn't practical to go without a rental car.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I think Dusty's response is a bit extreme -- relating to Oahu in particular. Sure if you want to take organized bus tours, then the costs will be extensive -- but people who want organized tours do it whether they rent a car or not -- they are two totally different things. And you can take a heck of a lot of buses and shuttles before adding up to the $35 a day or so PLUS the parking costs for a car!

And sometimes the time spent waiting for a bus is no different than the time spent circling around looking for parking then perhaps walking blocks to the place the bus would have left you off at.

If you are the type who would take three or four taxis every day in Honolulu, then yes the cost could equal a rental car. But do people really do that these days???
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Diamond Head:

Driving takes five minutes there from anywhere inn Waikiki. You drive into the crater & park at the trailhead. 30 minutes up, 10 minutes at the top, 20 minutes down. Five minutes back to your hotel.

By bus, takes 30 minutes plus any waiting time. Drops You off on Diamond Head Road outside the crater adding 1/2 mile each way to the hike. Total time wasted using the bus rather than driving about 1 1/2 hours.

USS Arizona Memorial:

Driving takes 25-30 minutes by car each way.

By bus takes 1 hour 15 minutes each way plus any waiting time. Total time wasted using the bus rather than driving about 2 hours.

National Cemetery of the Pacific:

20 minutes driving. You can drive into the crater & drive to the highlights in the cemetery.

By bus, takes 45 minutes each way. It drops you off 1/2 mile from the visitors center inside the crater. It will take you 1 1/2 hours walking inside the crater to the highlights that only takes 10 minutes driving to. Total time wasted taking the bus over 2 hours.

Want more examples?

4 days car rental from airport about $100-$120. Parking at Aston Waikiki Banyan $10/day, $40 total for 4 days. Gas for 4 days about $25-$30. Total cost for a car for 4 days about $180.

Total for 4 days using public transportation.

$35 cab from airport to Waikiki, $35 back total $70. You can save some of that if you take a shuttle which takes twice as long as a cab to get to your hotel as it will stop at every hotel it has passengers for.

4 day bus pass for 2 people $20 each, total $40

2 circle island tours at $50 each total $100 (you could rent a car for one day for about $30 plus $25 gas & tour the island instead)

Total using public transportation about $200 (a little less if you drove one day). And that doesn't include any cabs to get you to a couple nice restaurants outside of Waikiki.

Please do yourself a huge favor & rent a car. It is not worth the time wasted taking public transportation.

The only ones I recommend using public transportation are those that don't drive, or don't want to drive on the opposite side of the road.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM

We are going back to Hawaii for the 4th time and I would absolutely NOT do without a car.

Hawaii is beautiful just about eveywhere you go. It is safe and easy to drive.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
GBC

I agree with those who opt for the rental car. Get a small one. No need for high speed. We parked at our Waikiki hotel for $15 per day.

On Maui a car is essential.

Bidding on Priceline may save on the car rental. It doesn't get you the nicest car or the best service but it will get you where you want to go.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM

We lived there (Oahu) for years and still spend part of our time there for business as well as R&R.

I think it largely depends on your plans while you are there. If you are going to get dropped off at a resort and stay there the whole time, you can get a taxi to and from. Beach is right there, restaurants and night life are there, etc.

If you want to do touring, then you (IMO) need a car unless you want to opt for an organlized tour, cruise, etc.

A hybrid, as some mentioned, might be a day or two car rental.
Parking fees are intense so if you'll spend a fair amount of time hanging around the resort it would be a shame to rent for a week and pay for parking.

I agree you'll need a car in Maui unless you are going to stay at the resort area i.e., Kaanapali) the whole time.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:25 AM

I envy people who get can get in their car literally at their front door, drive to a destination with absolutely no delays or getting lost in unfamiliar surroundings, arrive at their destination to find a parking place right at the entrance, and walk in.

And I envy those who arrive at the airport and can pick up their car and be on their way in 0 minutes (others talk about having to wait 10 to 15 minutes for a bus -- but I usually wait even longer to get my car and get it checked out and get onto the road).

I hope I'm not making a mistake. I'll be in Oahu for a week, but only planning to rent a car for my final two days. Several have told me it's easier to go to the Arizona by bus than it is by car. I have two hours after my flight arrival before I can check into my condo -- so I'm not concerned with a cheap bus taking a little longer than getting a rental car, driving in a new city, finding my way, parking, and then waiting for my condo to be ready -- and spending about $40 that day for the privilege of doing so. My main goal is probably more "peace of mind" than it is to cut minutes off what should be a relaxing trip. And since I will be a single traveler, all those public transportation costs get cut in half of what is quoted for two, but the car would still be the full price. On the other hand I'll be renting a car the whole time on all the other islands. Driving in a new city is often not worth the tension it causes me, and I'd rather relax and "leave the driving" to someone else.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help!
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Neo
I can understand your concerns. I felt that was about not wanting to drive in a new place on my first solo trip to Oahu. I took advantage of the hop-on, hop-off trolleys and had a super time.

Now that I've had that first solo experience, renting a car on Oahu seems like an obvious thing to do, for at least a couple of days, so that I can drive/stop/look/soak up the scenery, etc. and see the whole island. The trolley only goes so far...

NJ... enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM

I've reserved a car to pick up on Monday morning near my condo in Honolulu and then return about noon on Wednesday when I fly out to Kauai. That gives me two full days of driving. I was going to get it for three, but they aren't open on Sunday downtown for pickup.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM

The spots Dusty has used as examples are all ones with plenty of parking, yet the bus will drop you so far away that its a long, hot, uphill hike just to the parking lots.

I'm a big fan of public transportation, but for many Oahu sights, it can really eat up your time. Some very recent examples:

My girlfriend arrived at HNL last week, and took the bus to her condo in Waikiki. Took her over TWO hours from baggage claim to door. Plus, Da Bus allows only one bag that will fit on your lap. Another time she took the shuttle and it took about two hours as well. Half an hour till they had enough passengers, then it stopped at every hotel along the way.

I had my DD drop me off at above friend's condo, and planned to take the bus home. After sitting on the bus stop for 20 minutes, I called my husband. He was there in 10 minutes and we were home in eight minutes vs a 1 hour and 45 minutes bus ride (once it got there) or a $24 cab ride.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Patrick, if you'll be at the Ilikai, you can walk to Ala moana Center in about 5-8 minutes, so you will have more bus options available. for people staying in the main areas of Waikiki, most bus trips will involve at least two busses, and the wit times for both.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can get buy without a car staying in Waikiki on Oahu. But I'd definitely want one on Maui.