Day trip to Oahu from Maui

Sep 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Day trip to Oahu from Maui

Has anyone ever taken a trip to Oahu from Maui and returned the same day? Within a reasonable time frame, of course. We want to see Pearl Harbor and The PCC. We do not want to spend the night. It appears to be too much of a BIG city for us, totally un-Hawaiian. This is why we came up with the idea of a day-trip. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Sep 4th, 2003, 05:20 PM

I was just in Hawaii in August (came home 3 weeks ago) and I did just the reverse of what you are wanting. I spent a week on Oahu and I took two day trips, one to Maui and one to Kauai. It is definitaly a do-able. I'm sure there are tours (Polynesian Adventures is the one I took), but with the places you want to see, you might want to just book your own flights to/from Oahu/Maui and rent a car. I'd fly in early in the morning and then return to Maui in the late evening. You might check Aloha or Hawaiian Airlines for their schedules. Flight only takes 20 min. between islands.
Enjoy!
Sep 4th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Yes, very easy to go to Oahu from Maui in the same day.

I just went to Oahu from Kauai twice last week...once to buy a car, once for a meeting. I do it all the time!
Sep 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't say it is un-Hawaiian. It's the gathering place of all local cultures with their history. If you need an isolated spot stay at the Turtle Bay Hilton after the PCC and then fly out the next day. Otherwise I think you would feel rushed.
Sep 4th, 2003, 08:57 PM

Where are you staying on Maui? If you are in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area you can easily fly out of the Kapalua airport. It is a very small airport - maybe 2 gates so you won't have to deal with the massive scene at Kahalui. If you can, try to spend 1 night in Oahu but if not, catch an early filght out and a late flight back. A long day but not impossible.

I'll try to find the site for the airline that works out of that airport.
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM

JHM is the airport code for Kapalua. You can search on Orbitz.
Sep 5th, 2003, 12:24 AM
hotandsweaty

i agree with islandmom. you will feel rushed. it is doable, though. you have to be in the first group for arizona memorial, or else you'll waste time on line. also, you may find that you like waikiki. i had the same misperception that you seem to have before i saw waikiki, but with tall buildings also comes great pacific rim cuisine, "real" hawaiians and the safest beach imho for surfing or floating in the waves. we try to go every time we're in hawaii. like that old commercial used to say "try it, you'll like it."
jw marriott hotel is also off waikiki beach in a more serene location (rent "blue crush" to see it).