dallas

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dallas

My wife and I are spending one night in Dallas and want to be in the center of town where there are many restauants and lots of activity. Can someone please recommend a well priced , but good hotel

Thank you
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Dallas is unlike other large cities because it is so relatively new and so sprawling.

Do you want an elegant night or a wild night? What do call well priced for a hotel rate?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM

IMHO, the "happening" part of downtown Dallas is the West End.Literally on the west edge of town.Restaurants,clubs,action.Two hotels come to mind, but there are more alternatives.The Fairmont is luxury although I have heard of "decent" rates.It is a large hotel with about 550 rooms.On a smaller scale,I would suggest Hotel Lawrence.It is closer to the West End and a smaller, boutique hotel with about 120 rooms.Very intimate and luxurious.My personal favorite hotel in all of Dallas is the Wyndham Anatole Hotel.But it is not downtown,although not far.Hope that helps...S
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Downtown Dallas really isn't the "happening" part, as BeachBoi said. Very little goes on downtown after dark unless there is a sporting event at the AAC.

West End area is very touristy and full of chain restaurants. Beachboi recommended some good hotels. There is also an Amerisuites and a Hampton Inn. If you do stay there, try to get to the Sixth Floor Museum (JFK). It is very good.

Deep Ellum is more funky and popular with the under-30 crowd, but there is not a hotel nearby. The closest ones are the Adams Mark and Le Meridien. DO NOT walk from the downtown hotels to Deep Ellum because the area in between the two places is NOT safe (specifically under the highway briges). Take a cab!

Personally, I woud recommend doing one night in Fort Worth instead. Stay at the beautiful Stockyards Hotel in the middle of the historic stockyards and walk to Billy Bob's and several restaurants, like Cattleman's Steakhouse and the ones in the Stockyards Station area.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Or go to Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth for Mexican food. It is the best.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 12:26 PM

ditto on Ft Worth. Lots to do & see. A pretty good cultural district on University near I-30. A cluster of museums, a theater (Casa Manana & Bass dowtown), nice zoo, botanical gardens, Japanese water garden, etc. all very near one another. I do love Sundance Square for food, fun, clubs, intimate concerts, drinks, people watching. I like Dallas being from there but it is difficult to direct someone to where the action is. I know it's just one night so go have fun whatever you decide!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:17 PM

If you happen to be in DFW soon, the Fort Worth Stock Show is the happening place to be:

http://www.fwstockshowrodeo.com/general.html
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:09 AM

Ditto on Ft Worth. It's much better for night time activities. Lots of people walking around, good restaurants, etc.

Downtown Dallas is pretty much a daytime business district.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Lesliejudyh,

I think you should definitely stay in Downtown Dallas... it has much more pedestrian activity, more attractions,more restaurants, clubs and cafes, more shopping, and more things to see and do. Downtown Fort Worth is much more limited in its attractions.

From Downtown Dallas, you can ride our new Light Rail system to many interesting destinations... no cab or rental car needed.

Another option is to ride one of our antique streetcars up McKinney Avenue (a very charming urban boulevard), as far as our new urban village entertainment area, called the West Village.

Here are some things to do in Downtown Dallas that you can approach on foot....

Visit the Kennedy Assassination site. On the weekends, there are many visitors, guides, old newspaper hawkers, picture takers, etc. Nearby are the 6th Floor Museum, detailing the circumstances and the history of the event, and the time it happened. Also nearby is something called the "Consiracy Museum", about the many conspiracies surrounding the event...

Take an elevator ride up Reunion Tower, for a stunning view of the city. The ball-topped tower is reached via the Hyatt Regency hotel, near the Amtrak station (safe and clean neighborhood).

The Dallas World Aquarium is as much zoo as aquarium, with an indoor jungle containing tropical plants, animals and fish... even a river containing huge manatees... look for the underwater view of the river.

The West End contains many blocks of restaurants, clubs and a few shops, and has tons of street life. One of its "buskers" is a fellow that spray-paints canvases for sale while the crowd watches.

Also in the West End, take a carriage ride that will clip clop you and your party through the downtown... charming.

The West End also has a Festival Marketplace called Dallas Alley... many shops selling local goods, and lots of activity. The patio outside has free concerts on the weekends. Check out the statue of Godzilla in cowboy boots.

A few blocks east of the West End, on Ross Avenue, is the Arts District. Its three art museums are spectacular, especially the new Nasher Sculpture museum and garden. The Crow Collection is several rooms of beautiful east Asian and South Asian art... look for the crystal ball with a view of the outside. Finally, the Dallas Museum of Art has many collections of art from many periods and cultures... the most extensive collection in the area.

Between the West End and the Arts District, you will find fountain place. This is a public plaza with many watercourses and rivulets... the centerpiece is composed of 100 spigots, each one individually computer controlled, to create quickly changing patterns of water. Beautiful at night.

Feel like ice skating? The Westin hotel next to the Pearl Street LRV station has an indoor ice rink...

If you like a more upscale nightlife environment, try the Main Street area between Ervay and Griffin. In the past year, about a dozen new clubs and restaurants have opened in this small four block area. Some nearby hotels are the Adolphus, and the new Magnolia Hotel.

Although the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area is as suburban as any other city in America, the area immediately north of Downtown Dallas (Uptown) is very dense, walkable and compact. It is an upscale pedestrian-oriented area with many places of public entertainment. You can get there on foot, but a taxi might be more convenient. The McKinney Avenue Trolley, free of charge, is a fun, adventurous option.

Hope you enjoy your evening in Dallas.