Cultural/Unique City for 4 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip, from Canada in February. We are looking for something interesting, and unique. We are both in our early 20's, and definatly don't want to sit on a beach. We love cities with many places to explore. So far we are thinking the southern/eastern states, some idea's include Georgia and Texas. We loved San Francisco last year, cafe's and dining are our interests - as well as just exploring. I know this is vague, but I am looking for any ideas - so I can start researching.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM

I was about to suggest Boston, but then I see you're coming in February, so I would go with a warmer location. I would recommend Charleston, South Carolina, an absolutely charming southern city to visit ... very different from Boston in that it will give you a true "flavor" of southern living in the U.S. I've heard Savannah, Georgia is a great place to visit, but I haven't yet been there myself. Another recommendation is San Antonio, Texas ... stay at one of the hotels on the River Walk. That is also a great destination with its own unique culture.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Hello SamanthaEllen, Charleston is a beautiful city, historical, unique, fabulous restaurants etc. And San Antonio is another city to consider. I don't know what the weather is like in either of these cities in February however. But you could check that out. Also Miami, South Beach? Portland, OR is a fantastic city but February will be cold and not the best time to visit. But keep it in mind for a future trip. Best wishes.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate any idea's. So far San Antonio or Savannah seem to be the top of our list. My mom has been to San Antonio, so I have the low-down from her. However, no one I know has been to Savannah, what are some of the best things to do there?
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM

How about Santa Fe and Taos, NM? Very unique and interesting and fantastic food you can't get anywhere else. It will be cold but (probably) sunny and dry, the mountains will be snowcapped and gorgeous, and I'd think February might be a great time to visit as there will be fewer tourists. They are not, however, big cities, so if that's a main criteria maybe they aren't the best.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Charleston would be better than Savannah--more to do and see, better food. It is also a young person's town-lots going on.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:21 AM
GoTravel

Charleston would be a much better choice than Savannah. While the cities are similar and both beautiful, Charleston edges out Savannah in architecture, dining, shopping, attractions, culture, and location.

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Charleston would be great, or Miami.

Los Angeles, of course, would offer all that you want and more, but maybe too much more.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Oh yes, LA as a unique cultural center.