Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would you help me decide on a destination to spend my 50th birthday next Feb.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My big "50" is next Feb. 20. I would like to spend a long weekend (3 nights) somewhere fun for my husband and I. I have my choices down to 6 places that I think the weather will be suitable. I have never been to 5 of these places which are San Antonio, Charleston, Savannah, Santa Barbara and Carmel, CA. The 6th place I have been to (Vegas) but it is such a fun place. Most of you are such experienced travelers, I would like to hear your opinion. We like great food, relaxing, scenery, etc. Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM

I can only help you with Charleston and Savannah. Between those two, I would pick Charleston. Savannah is lovely and has a great following of fans, but I prefer Charleston's charm. Charleston has some of the best dining, fabulous shopping, amazing plantations and yet remains very relaxing.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
jon

My vote is for San Antonio. There are so many things to do there, and you don't need to rent a car. There is the Riverwalk, Alamo, Mercado street Market, Texas Institute of Culture, King Charles District, Mission trail tour, river cruise, shopping. I could go on and on! It's a great long weekend getaway.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:35 AM
SmilesTravel

Sheila, given your criteria, it's an easy selection - Carmel, CA. We were there this spring for a day on the way down to Santa Barbara and Malibu - it was superb. Hadn't seen it in two years, but wow, what a terrific place, and the nearby coast was superb. Great restaurants, lodging, scenery, ambience. You cannot go wrong with Carmel. Enjoy 50 - I was there two years ago, and it's not too bad, lol.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:39 AM
iceeu2

Hi West Tenn Bud,
You really can't count on the weather in Charleston or Savannah in February or March.
San Antonio is a great place and like someone else said...stay down on the Riverwalk and you don't even need a car.

Haven't been to Santa Barbara or Carmel, so can't say about them.

IMHO, you can never go wrong with Vegas, but be sure to check out the conventions. Plus weekends can get pretty pricey.

Here's a thought: Just celebrate a birthday YEAR!!!

We were in Kauai for my 50th!!
And headed to Vegas in September to continue the celebration!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I have got to decide soon so I can start the planning (half the fun). San Antonio would be a shorter flight from Memphis. We also love New Orleans but my birthday is right in the middle of Mardi Gras - can't take the crowd anymore. Would we need a car in Carmel for only 3 nights?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
California can be rainy in February.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
SmilesTravel

When we've been in Carmel (Feb/Mar), it's been perfect. Bring a sweater.

Yes, you'll need a car in Carmel. The town is smallish, and there are many places to reach on foot. But you're going to want to go up and down the coast to see scenery.

Now, to be fair, in February, Savannah and Charelston are perfect as well. As is NO. It's a good time of year for all the places you're considering.

But Carmel is special, and in the area you can see Big Sur, etc. Let su know what you decide.