Search

Cross Country Trek

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Trek

My daughter and I will be traveling from San Diego to Ashville, NC in November - we would like to make this a little vacation! We will be traveling the southern route through Phoenix, Tuscon, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville. Any must see's or do's? Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

I'd say Carlsbad Caverns would be a must see on that route, if only because it is so far out of the way at any other time. Santa Fe is another nice stop on that route.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Well, I'd add on a couple of hours and go even further south if I were making a vacation of this. The I-10 route would take you through San Antonio (with detours to Fredricksburg), then New Orleans, and then hitting the beautiful sugar sand beach of the Panhandle gulf beaches. Back up through Montgomery thru Atlanta and on up to Asheville.

That's what I'd do...
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Sorry. If that didn't make any sense - INSTEAD of Dallas, Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

We will be visiting friends in Dallas, and my daughter wants to visit Nashville, so the more southern route won't work for us this time. Carlsbad Caverns is a good idea. Fredericksburg is 150 miles out of the way, but sounds wonderful! Hmmm, wondering if we should do that. Anything in Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso or Dallas areas?
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM
dmlove

I have lots of cousins in El Paso, but I guess that won't do you any good ! Seriously, just the other day, someone posted in a thread about who knows what that they really liked El Paso and mentioned some of the things they did and places they ate. Try searching, or maybe someone else will remember what thread that was in.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM
dmlove

I found it!

"The next day, Sep 15, didn't do the Market & Crafts Market as planned but decided to do a day trip to El Paso. Visited the Chamizal National Monument, the missions on Mission Road {Zaragosa Rd to Scorro Rd), Rosa's Castina which was closed for business (the cantina noted in Marty Robbin's hit song, "El Paso"), & checked out the downtown area. Had iced tea at the El Camino Real Hotel & took a look at the Tiffany domed ceiling in the bar. We liked El Paso. Returned to Las Cruces in the late afternoon & enjoyed some of the Mexican Independence Day Fiesta. It was great. No drugs, brooze, or pets were allowed into the plaza area. Of, course the area restaurants did serve drinks but the crowd was orderly and everyone was having a good time."