USA Southern States Road Trip

Apr 15th, 2017, 04:27 AM
Original Poster
USA Southern States Road Trip

Hi there!

I want to go on a road trip with my friend for a few weeks next year covering places such as New Orleans, Nashville, Austin Texas and anywhere that is recommended really, covering the southern states. We are both artists and love music and food of course but will be on a budget so all recommended routes and places to stay and see are welcome!

It would suit us better to start in Texas and hire a car there, and time of year preferences are welcome too.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Apr 15th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Early October.

Austin, Texas, to Cajun Country around Breaux Bridge and Lafayette, LA.

New Orleans

Vicksburg, MS to Memphis, TN via Highway 61 (Mississippi Delta)

Nashville, TN

Leave the car, fly home.

This is a nice two week trip with lots of delicious and very different food and exposure to the best in American traditional music.

Along the way, you can hear norteño, Texas hillbilly, Cajun and Zydeco, New Orleans Jazz ( traditional and modern), Black New Orleans music in the tradition of Professor Longhair, Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, and the Wild Tchapitoulas; Delta Blues, Memphis Blues, early Sun Records Memphis rock, and traditional White southern music like bluegrass and modern country.

It's too hot before October 1 and too much likelihood of tornadoes.

It will cost something to drive one way, but it is worth it to avoid a lot of tedium backtracking. If you are from outside North America, you should be able to find a rental package that is much cheaper than you would get here.

This is a dream trip. You won't be sorry.
Apr 15th, 2017, 05:37 PM
I like Ackislander's route. One thing that might make it better would be to start in Austin with a car if you need it to see stuff away from town.
Take the Texas Eagle from Austin to San Antonio. Spend a night or 2 in San Antonio and then take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans. When you are done seeing NOL, then rent another car to go to the Delta, Memphis, Nashville and a few other places before returning to New Orleans to return the car.
Another option would be to take the "City of New Orleans" up to Memphis and renting the car there but NOL would probably work better.
San Antonio is a great town for the Riverwalk and to see the Alamo.
Apr 16th, 2017, 05:15 AM
JUst start in San Antonio and rent a car. SA has a lot of panache also. On to Austin, etc. Ack's ideas are great.
Apr 16th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I also like Ackislander's route although I would probably substitute Natchez, MS for Vicksburg as it has lovely homes to visit (we were there in early April, after visiting New Orleans and they were doing a lot of home and garden tours then).
For some reason I never consider Texas as "Southern", it is unique in its own right.
Apr 16th, 2017, 05:41 PM
It's fairly absurd to recommend dates to avoid tornadoes, which are too rare to be a consideration for tourist planning.
Apr 17th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Tornado season is generally in April-ish anyway, though we've had some nasty ones in January/February. I do agree that there aren't enough of them to plan a trip around. May/June can be nice, but could also be hot; how hot depends on what Alice and her friend are used to (where are you coming from, Alice?).

Either way, late September/early October is a great time to go. And Ackislander's plan is good.

Search this Thread