Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving trip - Atlanta to San Antonio, by way of New Orleans

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor asked me to help plan a trip for her. She and her husband and 4 kids (ages 15, 13, 4 and 3) want to leave Atlanta on afternoon of May 27 (last day of school) and drive to San Antonio by way of New Orleans. I'm not sure which way to best direct her.

She wants to end up in San Antonio by the 30th. Total trip is about 10 days. She would prefer to stay somewhere near the Riverwalk, but she needs to find a good deal. Would it be better if they didn't go to New Orleans on the way? They want to stop at some fun places along the way. And once in San Antonio, she knows some things she wants to do, but she needs ideas, too.

Most of their vacations are to visit family, so they are very excited about this vacation.

Thanks for your help and ideas.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Take I85 south to Montgomery. Take I65 south to Mobile. Take I10 west to New Orleans. Continue on I10 west through Houston to San Antonio. This is the most direct route and is interstate all the way.

Keith
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I would suggest avoiding Houston unless they can time it to traverse the city between 10 a.m. and nlt 3 p.m. The combination of traffic and major I-10 construction has the potential of a significant delay. It's not as bad if they miss commuter rush hours.

Jim
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM

New Orleans to San Antonio was part of our road trip last summer, and the post about Houston traffic is too true. Luckily my husband saw a ramp to a HOV lane, or we would have probably been stuck in a jam for hours. We are from LA and lived in San Francisco, so city freeway traffic is not new to us, and this Houston traffic was appalling. That said, I kind of wished we'd stopped in Houston and done some sight-seeing. The space center and the Bush Presidential Library (or is it Johnson?) would have been great. My kids loved both New Orleans and San Antonio. Lots to do in those cities.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM

One can drive from Atlanta to San Antonio in 1.5 days, so your neighbor definitely has time to stop in New Orleans.

The Bush Library is in College Station, and the Johnson Library is in Austin, both a detour from I-10.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
JBJ

I would honestly rethink the Riverwalk stay. While it's nice to visit for the restaurants and shopping, it is not really the beautiful riverwalk you or she might be imagining. It really smells of dirty river water too. Consider staying at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. It's about 15 miles or so from downtown, but is across from Seaworld. The Hyatt is extremely kid-friendly (in fact I wouldn't advise it for a romantic getaway especially in the summer). There are lots of things for kids to do during the summer at this property. My family has visited SA 4 times in 5 years, and we all enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt the most.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM
JBJ

Sorry, I overlooked the part about a "good deal". The Hyatt will not be that. We did get the Radisson Resort (right next door)one year on priceline for $125 a night, and it's pretty nice (not as much to do as the Hyatt). Most of the Riverwalk hotels are pricey too. Also, we live in Houston and would say that the Space Center is well worth the detour (it is about a 25 mile detour off 1-10) although I agree that the traffic is terrible on 1-10 and would avoid it anytime remotely close to communter hours. If they hit Houston one morning (9 or 10) they could head to the Space Center, then maybe catch an Astros game and stay in downtown Houston. The downtown area has been revitlized in recent years and it's nice. Just a word of caution. If they do go the the Space Center, be prepared for sticker shock. It's like a theme park in terms of what they charge!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information so far. What about activities in San Antonio, and what does everyone else think about staying on the Riverwalk or not?
Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:33 AM

The Riverwalk comments are accurate, but I would not totally dismiss staying there. Hyatt Hill Country is a blast, for both adults and kids. They have a circular tubing route which is very popular, and a water park is located nearby. Hill Country's golf courses are excellent, but so are many others in SA.

I'd let the dollar rule. If they get a good deal on the river, it's worth the experience, in my opinion; but, if the costs are relatively even, I'd go to the Hill Country resort.

Jim
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM

I liked the Riverwalk. We had fun walking around and window shopping, also saw the Alamo. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it was a nice break from our car after driving from Orange County to St. Louis to New Orleans to Texas.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM
dcespedes

Hi Samsaf, we've lived in San Antonio going on 16 years and we love the Riverwalk and would not hesitate to stay downtown. I don't know where the best deals are but previous posters have had good luck with AmeriSuites, Hilton and Marriott--you can search this site for more information on hotels--there are lots to choose from downtown. Try travelocity.com or expedia.com for deals and good luck--enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM

In San Antonio, People of all ages enjoy the zoo, lots of shade andflowers and places to sit. The Institute of Texan Cultures (downtown) has lots of hands on for the younger children and is of interest to the older. The Witte Museum is appealing to all ages, the treehouse has lots of hands on science for kids. The younger children will love the children's museum downtown, perhaps while the older ones shop at Rivercenter with the Imax theatre.