Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheap parking near 30 Rockefeller Plaza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. You can stop laughing now. I know that doesn't exist.

This is my dilemma. I'm going to start working in Manhattan (at 30 Rock) next month. I have to drive in (from NJ) because I work at the ungodly hour of 4am. Besides Central Parking Garage (company negotiated monthly rate of $491 - um, yikes!) and the garage at the Sheraton Manhattan ($24 for up to 10 hours), are there any other garages nearby that you know of with a somewhat better rate or am I S.O.L.? Keep in mind that I'm a woman who would rather not walk for several blocks in the dark.

Thank you.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Wow for those rates, plus the cost of gas, maintenance, and possibly tolls, it would seem like you could work a better deal with some cabbie who wants a regular job, then take the train home. Either that or check with your employer or even Craigslist for a ride sharing situation?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM

The company negotiated rate is pretty good. Do you live in NJ? if you do, then the 18% tax is on top of that, right? Figuring 20 workdays a month-- $25/day in midtown.
Does NBC do Transitchek or some other program that allows for the amount as a pre-tax withdrawal?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Look on iconparking.com and maybe contact them about a monthly rate. What time do you leave?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Here's another website that might be useful for you
nycgarages.com
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM

When you add the tax, tolls, and gas to that, it is really prohibitive. Could you be better off driving to hoboken, parking, and taking a cab for 15 bucks into the city?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Just FYI cab from Hoboken into the city not equal to $15.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I believe there are some outdoor lots that are more reasonably priced on 10th or 11th Aves. I'd cab it from there.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Can you steal Lorne Michaels spot?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. McLaurie, I will check out those sites.

To answer some of your questions/thoughts:
-I'm more comfortable driving back and forth for 2 reasons: safety because of the early hour and having to pick up my son at school at 2:30pm. I get off work at 1pm.
-Ride sharing is not an option. I have to leave work by 1pm (again, my son) while some of my colleagues tend to stay a little later.
-There is a pre-tax withdrawal which I've signed up for. However, it's not for the full amount.
-My employer made deals with 2 garages. One is the $491/month already mentioned (I don't think the 18% tax is included). The other one is a much nicer deal ($14 or $16 for up to 10 hours) but that place is a long 2 or 3 block walk. My husband used to park there and said it would be fine during daylight hours but not at night.
-Gas is not really an issue. I currently work in NJ by the tunnel so my added miles won't be that much. The positive to the ungodly hour is no tunnel traffic! At least on the way in.

Aduchamp1: He probably gets car service.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Your husband may know better, but I'm trying to think of what walk of 2 to 3 long blocks from Rockefeller Plaza would be at all unsafe even at "night"?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Sounds like quite a predicament! Do a lot of people where you work start at the same time you do? If so, there might be a group of people that arrive at work around the same time, and thus would make the walk with you. Perhaps you could pay to take a cab the couple of blocks for the first month or so, and then see if either a) you think it's safe to walk, or b) you can find a friend/coworker to make the walk with each morning.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM

caribtraveler , I understand your husband's hesitation.
NeoPatrick, While all of us who live here proudly talk about our historically low crime rate (safest large city in the US) we also say things like "be reasonable". Most people I know, and especially women, would not be comfortable walking alone on streets(especially side streets) in midtown at 3 or 4 in the morning. It's not paranoia, and it's not the wild wild west out there, but regularly walking on basically deserted streets is not the most pleasant thing to do
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM

I totally agree with janie's observations about a female walking alone in NYC at 4 a.m.
As for the OP's predicament, it's a tough situation. The Rockefeller Center area is one of the most expensive areas for parking in the city, I think she has to face the fact that there just isn't an inexpensive parking solution that meets her criteria.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick: Janie is right. The issue is the side streets. The cheaper garage is on 8th Avenue.

Bethke14: The people who work my hours really have to be in no later than 5am (including me).. but we all go in any time between 4am and 5am.. so I can't really count on walking with someone.

HowardR: I've already come to terms that I'll just have to deal. I was just hoping a fellow Fodorite would prove me wrong.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. McLaurie, I really love the nycgarages website... really helpful to see what's available.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM

I guess, I'm just not picturing where this parking garage would be. Rockefeller Center is between 5th and 6th, around 50th.
So are we saying that walking from 7th or 8th on 50th or 51st is bad? Or from 3rd or Lexington?

I guess I'd understand if we're talking about a garage between 9th and 10th. But that's more like 4 to 5 long blocks.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Your problem is that all lots are not 24 hour - and you want a place manned 24 hour in a very specific (and expensive) neighborhood.

You can certainly google NYC parking - but doubt you'll get anything much better than the negotiated rate in that area.

And you definitely want to check for monthly rates - not daily.

(I don;t think a lot in a different area will help much - since you'll have to find a cab at 4 am - and pay at least $10 a day - $220 per month - to cab back and forth.)
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM
mp

yeah patrick, sorry, but all of us NYers are agreeing that even in midtown, a woman (even a man) walking alone around 4AM (particularly in winter when sunrise is not for another 2 1/2 hours) for 3 long blocks is kinda unsettling and creepy and not a way to start your day. Sorry - even in Mike's NYC, it's an unreasonable risk.

Have you checked out the cost of a regular car service - even from Jersey? and public transport back - might be equivalent if you can make a deal with a company . .
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Hi Carib,

nothing to add to this post - just wanted to say hi and how's the hair

DS is in school now? Wow, I bet that means you have to cut down on your travels

Hope you enjoy your new job - are the actually two 4 o'clocks in the day???? WOW live and learn
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM

I definitely agree: deserted midtown in the middle of the night is way creepy!! I used to leave work in midtown a lot at 11pm. It didn't feel unsafe... but not comfortable. As others have said, not the way to start the day!

FWIW, there is the M50 city bus that goes eastbound across 50th St (westbound across 49th St).

I too am wondering about the 8th Ave garage. Is it by chance the one in the Hilton Garden Inn on the corner of 48th St? If so, an option would be to have the doorman hail you a cab, so you're not standing out there all alone. At that hour, the cab will be no more than $5 or $6 across to 30 Rock.

Good luck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -