Creation Museum Petersburg KY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new creation museum in Petersburg Kentucky just outside Cincinnati is very impressive. It presents science, fossils, dinosaurs etc. from the concept of a creation beginning rather than the millions and millions of years to evolution uses to explain fossils, dinosaurs etc. It is a very modern well done presentation. It also has a Bible, Christian message ministry element.

We first went down into the town of Petersburg as it turned out to eat at the only place there was (neat experience) The Owner, cook, gas station attendant etc. said the museum was already paid for and is a big deal - always busy.

We arrived ½ hour after it opened and it was already packed.
Took us 4 ½ hours to make it through. We could have spent more time had we read everything. I also went to the Falls of the Ohio fossil beds and heard the evolution presentation (which I don’t buy I have ever seen a carcass laying by a stream for “thousands of years” as it gets slowly covered with dirt. I can readily visualize how Noah’s flood could have done all of that stuff.
If you are around Cincinnati stop by.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I realize that everyone is entitled to their religious beliefs. But to present them as an alternatiive to true science does a major disservice to those who, unfortunately, have never received education on the basics of science (which requires actual proof, rather than unsupported assertions).

Anyone wanting a real understanding of evolution should visit the human evolution exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History in New York - or any one of dozens of other legitimate scientific institutions.

Religious institutions such as this are certainly entitled to present their point of view - but should make it clear that it is based on faith - not facts.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the great heads up sobolik, I'll be sure to never visit the place.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Oh, boy. It does NOT present science.

Everything that needs to be said is said here

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...miles-sou.html
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Oh, dear, Solbolik, I hope you didn't expose any young minds to that idiocy. The height of stupidity.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Sobolik writes:

"I also went to the Falls of the Ohio fossil beds and heard the evolution presentation (which I don’t buy I have ever seen a carcass laying by a stream for “thousands of years” as it gets slowly covered with dirt. I can readily visualize how Noah’s flood could have done all of that stuff."

You've never seen a carcass laying by a stream bed for thousands of years? Why's that? How old were you on your last birthday? Guh.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM

And what does a carcass being made into a fossil have to do with evolution?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM

I'm troubled by the fact that posters feel free to criticize sobolik's post or his/her beliefs. Sobolik posted a travel experience.

A creation museum does not represent my beliefs, but I don't think Sobolik's posting about it entitles readers to critique his/her beliefs.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM

I agree with you Pegon. While we are definitely not all of the same 'ilk', I'm sure there are travelers here who share sobolik's beliefs and enjoy having this review in reference to a future visit. Some to whom it is important may never have heard of it.

Would those of you who have jumped into the fray make such comments to a poster giving information regarding vortexes in Arizona or alien abduction spots in New Mexico?

This forum is a microcosm of individuals, preferences, beliefs, etc. Tolerance is a great virtue.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM

"This forum is a microcosm of individuals, preferences, beliefs, etc"

Do you honestly believe that the way people feel in "real life" is suddenly suspended, or should be, when they post here? If so, then it is no longer a "microcosm."

Sobolik made it quite clear as to belief, especially by using the words "don't buy" and thereby included a religious value judgement in the post.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM

vortex? alien abduction? don't "buy" evolution? this country just gets stupider and stupider, and tolerance for ignorance in the name of "belief" helps grease the skids. That museum's whole existence is to contradict science and support a ridiculous view (Bishop Usher's 19th century "earth is 6,ooo yrs old") that was laughed at even 100 yrs ago, and has been resurrected by ignorant, uneducated dummies. Yup: I have no tolerance for that at all, and I'm sick and tired of those hit with stupid sticks trying to hit others with same.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I don't think sobolik posted this in order to get personally attacked. As other posters noted, this may be of interest to some. Not everyone believes in the "theory" of evolution. Gasp! pollyvw hit it on the head when she asked if you would make such comments about the vortexes...how about a tarot card reading I just read in a SF thread? Do I chastise the poster for believing in the reality of tarot readings? I guess "this country is just getting stupider and stupider", I mean more intolerant of others and their beliefs and find the need to resort to name calling to justify their own beliefs. How sad!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM
cfc

Forgive me but if someone had written up Epcot as a moving, accurate depiction of other countries, I think people would have a legitimate gripe. If someone had gone to a shrine to the "Coke-bottle" gods in "The Gods Must Be Crazy," there would be calls for clarification. So it's fair to call the poster on the assumptions here, too.

Calling this museum even a museum stretches credulity -- it's a large-scale depiction of a world-view, designed to reassure believers, not a scientific educational demonstration. It's frightening how many people WANT to believe the world is young, and apparently still flat -- as if the majesty of creation wouldn't be the same if it took too long.

You can call this a presentation, but you sure can't call it science.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

"Would those of you who have jumped into the fray make such comments to a poster giving information regarding vortexes in Arizona or alien abduction spots in New Mexico?"

Yes. Are you familiar with this forum? sobolik is not being singled out for criticism.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM

And we wonder why W still has a 28% approval rating? There are lots of other Luddites, like W, who actually believe this stuff. Come to think of it, I believe that 3 major Republican candidates claim to believe in creationism, not evolution.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Um, to each his own. But I've considered going there for amusement purposes (and to marvel at how much money can get poured into something of this nature). I was interested to hear that there was only one place to eat in the city - a gas station? Or is there another city a few minutes away where food could be found?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Peg...I must respectfully disagree with your take on the post. My take is that the post is a way of presenting religious views *as if* it were merely a travel post......
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Now why did someone have to go and slander Epcot? Epcot might be a sanitized and idealized version of global diversity, but it is entertaining and interesting and educational -- which is a lot more than you can say for the mythological nonsense of creationism.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Another great museum with an excellent, interactive exhibit on the history of life is the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.

I find it disheartening that some people takes Noah's flood story literally and doesn't understand science.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
maj

I live in Cincinnati and work in Northern Kentucky and do not know anyone (at least they're not talking about it) who has been to the Creation Museum or is even discussing it. I hadn't really heard about it until it opened, so was floored when I heard Bill Maher say that he was there. And reporters from the New York Times have gone to it! This must be much bigger news across the country than I have seen here. Yes, I do listen to the news and read the paper and there have been articles, but nothing that would make me come across the country to see it.

Likeswords. Petersburg is a very small, river town -- in fact I can't believe there is a restaurant of any kind there. It is close to CVG and Hebron (so there are restaurants nearby, just not necessarily in Petersburg). It isn't far from I275 which connects with I75-71, so you are close to Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky where there are lots of restaurants and hotels.
You can always go down the river a ways and see Rabbit Hash (another very, very small town but featured on Animal Planet or one of those stations with a story on it because they have a dog mayor. I actually found that interesting.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -