Courtyard, Upper East Side

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott at 410 E 92nd St? How is that neighborhood? Years ago when I lived in NY, 92nd St wasn't the greatest area (but I am going back 25 years).
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM

It's now a quiet, family-oriented residential area -- a very safe & upscale neighborhood. Close to Carl Schultz Park obviously.

In my opinion, the big drawback is the distance from the subway at 86th Street.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM

This hotel is news to me. When did it open? Unless it's some amazing bargain or you're visiting family nearby, I can't imagine any reason to stay there.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I'd be visiting friends nearby.
I think it is a new hotel, and is offering a great rate.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Oops, hit send before I finished. My friends live in the 80's....so it would be near them.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Also unaware of this hotel. Not to be contrary, but I wouldn't call 92nd & 1st to be an "upscale" neighborhood. The low 90's that far east is okay, not great, until you get to East End or York (where Carl Schurz park is -- but a few blocks south below 90th). There are some housing projects, a gas station, a check cashing place -- not the makings of an upscale neighborhood in my book.

If it's near your friends, it may be convenient, though. Another choice might be the Franklin on 87th between Lex and 3rd. It's a smaller hotel, nice.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I don't like the fact that there are no photos of rooms on any website I can find. Just the outside of the building. But they say it has a pool and it sure looks nicer than what I remember of the Franklin. York ave. up there is very nice. 1st is "ok." I guess I'd ask how great is the price and is the trip JUST to spend time with your friends? It's not particularly convenient to get around town from there.

I guess I need more info on how long you're staying, how many of you there are, where in the 80s your friend is, what the price is, what your budget is, what your plans are etc. in order to make a judgement.

If you're staying for more than a weekend, you could probably rent an apartment nearer your friend, if that's the objective. If you plan on seeing your friend but also doing some sightseeing etc., you'd be much better off staying somewhere more convenient and traveling to your friend's when necessary.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM

My major concern is if the hotel is actually up and running yet. I have gotten great rates on "new" hotels in euope a couple of times - but once it was so new it wan't finished yet and the construction noise was a nightmare. Suspicious there are no pix on the site of finished rooms.

The area is fine - yes upscale - but inconvenient as many have mentioned. So unless you're coming only to spend time with these friends I would search for something more central to things to do.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Whoa....East 92nd Street is a fairly nice area. And, a gas station and a check-cashing business hardly makes this an undesirable quarter.
As Gekko said, its biggest drawback is its distance from a subway station!