Courtyard Marriott Convention Ctr

Jun 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Courtyard Marriott Convention Ctr

We're going to DC in August and are looking for hotels for us and our 3 teens. The Couryard Marriott near the convention center is only $107/night which seems awfully low.

Can anyone tell me how this hotel is? We're also looking into the Washington Renaissance and the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown.

Any hotel advice would be appreciated.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM

I like this location a lot -- if it's the Courtyard at 900 F St.. Metro is very close. You're right in the middle of a great Penn Quarter dining area and the Chinatown/MCI area is excellent for teens. One of the widest variety of food options in the city. Spy Museum is across the street. Not sure when Nat. Portrait Gallery reopens, but it's right there too.

Haven't been inside, but this is a relatively new hotel in a refurbed historic bldg.

Great rate, too.
Jun 29th, 2006, 04:11 AM

As repete mentioned, this is a nice, new hotel in an excellent location. The price does seem too low - maybe it's a typo? If it's the real price, I would grab it ASAP. Congrats on finding the bargain of the month.
Jun 29th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I meant to add that Couryard Marriott Convention Center (if in fact it's the one at 900 F St) would be my choice over the other two even if they were all three the same price.
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Just wanted to add something about this location. I was out for lunch yesterday and walked past on my way to try a new coffee place called Shimba Hills.

http://www.shimbahillscoffee.com/

Not only great coffee but excellent gelato. There's also a Juan Valdez coffee nearby -- next to the DC Chophouse. Both are a nice break from Starbucks.

Then on the way back to my office near Metro Center, I checked out Cowgirl Creamery.

http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/aboutus/

Fabulous cheeses but also a tremendous place to grab a quick sandwich for packing away. Had proscuitto/cheese/fig jam sandwich on great bread.

These kinds of places are why this locations is getting better all the time.

Disclaimer: I'm not connected to any of these places other than being a consumer.

Jul 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM

That is an excellent rate for that location. Hotel rates in DC are at their lowest in August because Congress is in recess, there's almost no convention business, and family travel drops off as schools reopen.

Jul 27th, 2006, 07:27 AM

I think this is a great location too. I've never understood why it isn't more popular (although I've never been inside). The only downside is that there are some very popular nightclubs in the neighborhood and I've been surprised by the level of activity in this 'hood late at night.
Aug 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM

epaula, did you go on your trip yet? if so, how did the hotel workout? and, where did you find that rate? thanks, rjnao
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM

The Courtyard Marriott is a great renovation of an old bank. Be sure to go down to the basement. The vault has been turned into a cafe.

You will love the hotel. It is right near the reopened American Art/Portrait Gallery. Tons of restaurants and theaters in the area.

Oops, I see the person has already taken his trip, but maybe this will help someone else.

So, where is the trip report?